Centralia, WA - 07/11/2015 - The Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship 4 (PNWTC4)

manYo

got a few more signups this morning: DT, tecmo diehard coming straight outta Buffalo, originally from Bremerton, whom some of us have met in Madison (OG Seahawks jacket)...... and two accomplices of DT: Dan G. and Darren G., hailing from the PNW, who also claimin' tecmo skillz and declare themselves ready to Enter the 360 Dragon!  (ps--they are also talking some mean pickleball game)

a fire has been building in me for this tournament for quite awhile now, about 20+ years to be exact.... prepare for the hype to start gettin' dialed up here to 10+ in about a week when I get out of work!

What up PNW Tecmoers. I'm excited to make my West Coast Tournament debut this July 11 and enter the arena against the homies I met in Madison as well as the guy thats really into Johnny Johnson. Your guys' mess board game is off the charts. I got respect for my East Coast players and love my Midwest posse, but everybody should know that the illest Tecmoers are bred in the Great Northwest. The 360. The 206. The 503... These are the hotbeds of TSB. Come July, I'm hoping to prove that specifically its we representatives from the West Side of Bremerton that bring the biggest ruckus.... 

Feeling very confident that my fellow Dyes Inlet Destroyers still have the quick fingers and sharp Chuck Knoxian minds to make an impact on the 8 bit gridiron... but I'm not sure if we still have the lateral quickness and stamina to show out on the pickleball court. We'll run some games witch ya tho.

ONE MONTH

Edited by DT.

SLIGHT ROLL CALL ACTION: I have not yet heard from STU on this one, but I'll make a strong attempt to do so soon... same with RANDOLIOUS... unfort BURN ONE is out cuz our buddy is getting married that weekend in Wenatchee and he's in the wedding plus it's an open bar (and some chip shot FGs to be made there I'm sure)... BIG VERNE might still be on house arrest I'll check, but he can only play anyway if I decide to give him his soul back and I'm not sure I will yet, not to mention put the Seahawks jacket on the line (HE KNOWS)... hey TBK - who's rolling wit you for this one? chalky white? bad bad leroy brown? WhAt?!? smoke-filled turtle van? bueller? bueller? goalline landmine? YONNY YOHNSON!?!

in other news, just started the process of chopping game vids off the 8+ hours of game footage from PNWTC3, expect a few to be posted this weekend!

A Brief History of the Pacific Northwest Tecmo Championship:

PNWTC1: June 2012 @ The Brick (Olympia, WA)

The inaugural PNWTC was a fairly straight-forward format, similar to Madison-style with groups and bracket play, at a bar in Olympia... ending with 1st place going to Randy, 2nd place to GoNick, and 3rd place to myself (resutls HERE).  Some solid memories from this tournament include Randy holding court, talking all sorts of tecmo while waiting to play cuz he was the top seed... me sweating the fact that Vader was less than 21, but thankfully he never got booted... fuzzbusters! we miss you... and meeting so many of you guys for the first time.

PNWTC2: June 2013 @ O'Blarney's (Centralia, WA)

This tournament rolled out the "matchup dice" for the first time, and only time as a tournament mandate (altho still popular at Mayhem events, prefunks and general tecmo get-togethers, especially with kamp and me).  The Regular Season consisted of four round-robin games, using a swiss-style format (results HERE)... which seeded the final double-elimination bracket tournament (HERE)... ending with 1st place - Kamphuna, 2nd place - Randy, 3rd place - Teddy.  Some memories of this tournament include the debuts of Teddy, TBK and Da Professor... and the beginning of the PNW Tecmo relationship with Mac N Jack's African Amber, on tap at O'Blarney's that day... as well as some of the pre- and post-funking at my house that weekend.

PNWTC3: June 2014 @ Kamp Krieg (Centralia, WA) -- an extended recap

Any and all historical accounts of PNWTC3 must begin at the precise moment the Mac N Jacks keg got tapped… for as the sweet tecmo nectar flowed out, the Mayhem swept in… and it was On Like Donkey Kong, and every man for himself, in pitched battles of every sort from that point forward.  This always titillating moment took place the day before the tournament, AKA The Preseason, as Randy and Burn One joined me for some pickleball and tecmo action, first at Kamp Krieg (marie’s house) and that night at Coffin Corner (my house).

Tournament day dawned bright and groGGy, for me and Burn One at least, as we staGGered back to Kamp Krieg just in time for the Regular Season.  The Regular Season ended up lasting 5 Rounds, each round consisting of a best-of-3 series with players being matched swiss-style (#1 vs. #2, #3 vs. #4, etc.), and the rankings being determined initially by my suubjective self and then after each round by the total Mayhem Points (MP) for each player (+1 MP for each win, +1 MP for a series sweep, +.5 MP for a shutout, +.5 MP for a ‘BSD’ win, that is, a blowout).  Eventually, these final rankings would determine the seeding for a double-elimination bracket tournament, AKA The Playoffs, ending ultimately in a Grand Champion.

PNWTC3 saw 10 competitors enter the gauntlet to do glorious tecmo battle, occasionally repairing to the carport to commiserate around the keg and share a smoke or two or three… punctuated in the afternoon by some BBQ and backyard games on a quintessentially beautiful PNW summer’s day and evening.  As rubber met road, we somewhat eschewed the swiss-style matchup pairing, as I vaguely recall, and started figuring out the matchups that made the most sense at the time before each round.  After 5 Rounds, and much extracurricular activities, we were all pretty much running on empty after so much constant battlin’, and the sunshine and good times, so we threw together a quick single-elimination tournament of the top 4 players from the Mayhem Points standings, which looked like this at that point:

PNWTC3%20Regular%20Season_zps6g52z0zg.pn

And then final tournament bracket looking like this:

PNWTC3%20Playoffs_zpsfiguhelk.pnghttp://challonge.com/pnwtc3

Not sure who grabbed the 3rd place medal actually.  I recall some loose talk surrounding that from Teddy and Randy, but don’t remember what happened in the end, I know it was not settled at the end of the tournament, but TBD later someway somehow.  Anyone help fill in that blank for me?

----------------------------------------------------------------

And now, it's time to lean forward toward PNWTC4… in which we will have a new format, not sure what yet, gonna chew on tjat for a few weeks… but DT sent me a few good ideas, and I have lessons learned from prior tournaments in mind, so if anyone else has any suggestions, now is the time to post them up!

Until then, I’ll be posting some vids and more recaps from PNWTC3… coming up NEXT.

Edited by manYo

PNWTC3 Recap -- Round 1

For each round in this tournament, players were matchup up swiss-style, for the most part (#1 vs. #2, #3 vs. #4, etc.), using TOTAL MAYHEM POINTS (MP) earned to determine the rankings... but for this first round, it was based on my preseason rankings.  The players would then play a best-of-3 series, calling teams madison-style for the first game, then alternating each game after that.  One of the TVs was set up to record, and Round 1 found myself and TBK on that TV.

The first game I won the flip, called MIN-PHX, and you know who TBK took... but it was all Vikings in this one, walloping the Cards 23-0 as I picked up .5 MP for the shutout, but just short of the needed 28 point margin to get the BSD blowout and an extra .5 MP.  Johnny Johnson went 15/111 rushing in this game, and also caught 2 passes for 28 yards to lead the Cards... but "Dubs" Wade Wilson did work for the Vikes, throwing for 197 yds, with Herschel catching 6 passes for 75 yards... and the Purple People Eaters did exactly that to Timmy Rosenbach, collecting 2 picks in the game, cruising and crushing their way to an easy win.

BUT... TBK calling it a fluke win of course, so for Game 2 we took the same teams, with me smelling blood going for the series sweep, and TBK trying to avoid going into an early tournament hole.....

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSymWiFpWU

In Game 3, I decided not to phuq around and called RAI-KC... TBK took the Raiders, while I took KC and exposed the prodigious achilles heel in his game, holding Bo to 18 yards on 10 carries (12 for 21 rush yds total for RAI), while Okoye went 14/103... as the Chiefs cruised to a comfortable 21-10 victory.

Here's the rest of the Round 1 Scorecard:

Round%201_zpspphcsozd.png

Edited by manYo

I played Randy in an online game to determine the 3rd place finisher. I won, on an epic finish if I remember correctly. He was talk (or typing) shit the whole time. I have the vid somewhere. He was supposed to mail me my 3rd place medal (my 3rd 3rd), and never did. This is right around the time of the whole Randi Radio debacle. I like to think our game had at least a small part in him disappearing into the weeds. :)

PNWTC3 Recap -- Round 2

Round 2 saw a trio of sweeps, as Manyo swept Kamphuna in a pair of low-scoring BATTLES, SIrTed swept BurnOne in a pair of BLOWOUTS, while BoogieWithStu swept BadBadLeroyBrown with a pair of SKUNKS.  Now, the best part of a series sweep, of course, was a chance to get at dat keg a little sooner and enjoy a leisurely smoke and talk tecmo... and still with plenty of time to catch the Game 3 action elsewhere in the room.  Lucky for the six of us involved in sweeps, one of the most memorable games in this tournament took place in Game 3 of the R2 series between Vader and TBK.  In Game 1, Vader and da Raidazz "handled" TBK/Johny Johnson, final score 24-6.  Game 2 saw TBK and Johnny get back on that high horse tho, beating Vader's Jets 14-6.  Game 3 saw Vader take SD and TBK take DEN, and with plenty of spirited trash-talking passing back and forth, the game came down to the very end, with TBK looking like he was about to pull it off and talking like a manimal as he smelled victorious blood..... but it was not to be, for Vader had Vlasic, and a full-field JJ later at the buzzer SD pulled it out, 17-14.  TBK was heard to be muttering about this play for several hours afterward... welcome to JJ tecmo, Tailback King.

Meanwhile, on the neighboring TV (the one being recorded), but without as much hullabaloo and trash-talking as the Vader/TBK Game 3, and yet with just as much tension for the high-level of tecmo skill being put on display, Randy and Gripsmoke went at it in their own deciding Game 3, MIA (randy) vs. DET (grip).  (I recall Randy calling that matchup throughout much of the day, actually.)  Game 3 was a close one, as the entire series was, with all games beind decided by 7 points or less... however, Game 1 had perhaps the most dramatics of them all, pitting Randy as WAS (P1) vs. Gripsmoke as MIN (P2)...... which I present to you here: (ignore the text at the bottom of the screen, the keg was good times, what can i say......)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6G6Lgs-lwc

The rest of the Round 2 stats (click to enlarge):

R2_zpsfxip6nge.png

PNWTC3 Recap -- Round 1

For each round in this tournament, players were matchup up swiss-style, for the most part (#1 vs. #2, #3 vs. #4, etc.), using TOTAL MAYHEM POINTS (MP) earned to determine the rankings... but for this first round, it was based on my preseason rankings.  The players would then play a best-of-3 series, calling teams madison-style for the first game, then alternating each game after that.  One of the TVs was set up to record, and Round 1 found myself and TBK on that TV.

The first game I won the flip, called MIN-PHX, and you know who TBK took... but it was all Vikings in this one, walloping the Cards 23-0 as I picked up .5 MP for the shutout, but just short of the needed 28 point margin to get the BSD blowout and an extra .5 MP.  Johnny Johnson went 15/111 rushing in this game, and also caught 2 passes for 28 yards to lead the Cards... but "Dubs" Wade Wilson did work for the Vikes, throwing for 197 yds, with Herschel catching 6 passes for 75 yards... and the Purple People Eaters did exactly that to Timmy Rosenbach, collecting 2 picks in the game, cruising and crushing their way to an easy win.

BUT... TBK calling it a fluke win of course, so for Game 2 we took the same teams, with me smelling blood going for the series sweep, and TBK trying to avoid going into an early tournament hole.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmSyremWiFpWU

In Game 3, I decided not to phuq around and called RAI-KC... TBK took the Raiders, while I took KC and exposed the prodigious achilles heel in his game, holding Bo to 18 yards on 10 carries (12 for 21 rush yds total for RAI), while Okoye went 14/103... as the Chiefs cruised to a comfortable 21-10 victory.

Here's the rest of the Round 1 Scorecard:

Round%201_zpspphcsozd.png

Couple of curious moments here. Late 3rd tbk punts on 3rd down??? Manny chooses fg down 11 late AND being p1 ???And the coup de gats... Vai ask Vai? 4th down jj up 7 - 3 late and Sikahema jjs!??? Fun watch.

PNWTC3 Recap -- Round 2

Round 2 saw a trio of sweeps, as Manyo swept Kamphuna in a pair of low-scoring BATTLES, SIrTed swept BurnOne in a pair of BLOWOUTS, while BoogieWithStu swept BadBadLeroyBrown with a pair of SKUNKS.  Now, the best part of a series sweep, of course, was a chance to get at dat keg a little sooner and enjoy a leisurely smoke and talk tecmo... and still with plenty of time to catch the Game 3 action elsewhere in the room.  Lucky for the six of us involved in sweeps, one of the most memorable games in this tournament took place in Game 3 of the R2 series between Vader and TBK.  In Game 1, Vader and da Raidazz "handled" TBK/Johny Johnson, final score 24-6.  Game 2 saw TBK and Johnny get back on that high horse tho, beating Vader's Jets 14-6.  Game 3 saw Vader take SD and TBK take DEN, and with plenty of spirited trash-talking passing back and forth, the game came down to the very end, with TBK looking like he was about to pull it off and talking like a manimal as he smelled victorious blood..... but it was not to be, for Vader had Vlasic, and a full-field JJ later at the buzzer SD pulled it out, 17-14.  TBK was heard to be muttering about this play for several hours afterward... welcome to JJ tecmo, Tailback King.

Meanwhile, on the neighboring TV (the one being recorded), but without as much hullabaloo and trash-talking as the Vader/TBK Game 3, and yet with just as much tension for the high-level of tecmo skill being put on display, Randy and Gripsmoke went at it in their own deciding Game 3, MIA (randy) vs. DET (grip).  (I recall Randy calling that matchup throughout much of the day, actually.)  Game 3 was a close one, as the entire series was, with all games beind decided by 7 points or less... however, Game 1 had perhaps the most dramatics of them all, pitting Randy as WAS (P1) vs. Gripsmoke as MIN (P2)...... which I present to you here: (ignore the text at the bottom of the screen, the keg was good times, what can i say......)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6G6Lgs-lwc

The rest of the Round 2 stats (click to enlarge):

R2_zpsfxip6nge.png

Manyo!!!!!!!!!!!!  NO SOUND???

dafuq?!?! last time i checked u dont need SOUND to train for the next tourney, which is where YOUR mind and soul need to get, imo...... you sleep-walking into pnwtc4, bwa, i can tell.... today i'm training by consuming mass cups of african amber at emerald downs (snatch), cuz that's what it is! in it to f'n win it!!!

What's up gentlemen? New to the Pac NW, will be joining you guys to bring some Midwest flavor! How many people do we have so far?

you got it Tick, just send me an e-mail to get details and whatnot....... e-mail is manyo360 at aim dot com

looks like we got about 14 so far!  closing in on a final format any day now.