Los Angeles, CA - 1/17/2015 - Reddit

Knobbe

I should, outside of unforeseeable circumstances, be casting this tournament. If all goes well we will have 4 NES systems hooked up with webcams running to each of them to see the players playing. Additionally we will have a commentary area. I'm bringing along 2 extra people to help out with the production efforts of the stream as well. One to fill in commentary for when i'm playing and not able to be there. The other will be running the stream from the computer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fellas, thanks for coming out and making it a great tournament (minus the bracket debacle to start). It was great meeting you guys and showing me that I need to up my game to hang with some of you. I want to start playing online, urlocaltecmoguy owes me game.

Another congrats to bruddog for taking down Tecmo LA.

Edited by WayneHaddixBallHawk

My recap....

Did some pre-tourney practice with gats and kamp on Fri. Got a full nights sleep and got up at 800 to make the trek up to L.A. At first I thought I was going to be real early but as is typical I hit L.A traffic and got there right on time. Parking was not ideal...again typical L.A  but I found some on the street suggested by the tourney organizer. 

The location was the Belmont which was a pretty nice bar to have a tecmo tourney at. At first I was like am I at the right place not seeing anyone but then I found the back bar with TV's with Tecmo playing on them and most of the competitors assembled. I immediately notice the stream setup and the sweet trophies.

3bb19e0692.jpg

Introduce myself to some of the people and pretty quickly disasta finds me and we talk tecmo and strategy and general bs wondering if there will be any hidden gems of talent.

The seeding was a bit of a mess as I think we end up with 17 or 18. They had it set then thought about doing a play in game for the people that showed up last but ended up going back to the original bracket that looked very odd due to all the byes to get things to line up right. I happily got a first round bye and disasta ended up on the other side of the bracket. 

The coin toss rules were slightly modifed to give the coin toss winner a little more of an edge. The winner could choose his controller as well as whether he wanted to choose the teams or defer the team selection

Since I have a bye I watch disastas first game. His opponent calls BUF-NYG. Disasta takes Buffalo. His opponent fumblerooskis the opening kickoff and returns it for a TD. However it was apparent a few plays in that diasasta would roll and he did. 

Game 1- I win the toss and defer the team selection and take P1. My opponent calls a NE-IND matchup trying the old shitball teams technique I happily take NE. Not much to say here. Just consistently moved the chains. His playbook was not great and he didn't make it past midfield until the 4th quarter. He kicked a mercy FG to avoid being shutout.  28-3

Game 2 SD V MIN - Same story with the coin toss. My opponent  Colby who was a cool dude called the SD-MIN. He was hoping I would take MIN. No such luck.Threw in the i-form playbook and had my way right and a-ing the ball with the occasional tolliver pass. He kicked a pointless FG at some point. But again not much to see. SD 35 MIN 3

Game 3 CHI V CIN I play the above guys friend. Let's just say he was pretty wasted. I was trying to find out how many beers he had but apparently it wasn't all that many from what I heard. Anyways he was dropping f-bombs and gay slurs. He won the toss but opted or in his drunken stupor decided to take P2. In his drunken state he didn't have much chance and it was a safe steamroll.f CHI 28 CIN 3  

Watching a handful of the other games it was apparent disasta and I were a class above the rest. And the drunk guy ended up passing out and sleeping through most of the tourney. 

*****My friend Flosang3les aka rythmatic aka urlocaltecmo guy show up before game 3 to watch the rest of my games and play some side games. We play a side game and he beats me. I tell him he should have signed up and multiple times throughout the day he says ya I should have signed up" 

Game 4 MIA V CIN- And just like that both disasta and I have gone undefeated with a decent size wait to our first game. He wins the toss calls CIN-MIA. Having played as running teams all tourney I decide to take Dan the man. Had some timely D early on. If I'm remembering right I had a chance to go up 14-0 towards the end of the first but I got overcondifdent in danny's ability to squeeze a pass in to one o fmy wr's and Fulcher picked it off.

I also screwed up not putting Jensen at bottom WR early on which let fulcher popcorn my wr on the sweep. Fast forward to the 4th quarter and its 14-10 CIN. A clutch gain on a run 2 and nice chunk on a run 3 and MIa is in business. Some quick catch and runs and im in the redzone. I probably should have been fairfieldian and tried to milk more clock but being behind by 4 I wanted to get the TD. This time Danny rolls bottom and uses all of his 81 ps to squeeze a pass in to the top wr on the pass 2 r and s as a diving fulcher just misses getting there. Having been prety calm most of the tourney I definitely show some emotion on that score but there was still too much time left. He gets the ball with about 1-1:30 left. In comes wilhelm for jj time. On his first or second pass attempt his top wr is running free so I go back to cover him but the jj is prefect and im behind the WR. I ackle him around the 20 with about 30-40 sec left. After a couple picked plays, including a dangerous pass that bounced harmlessly into coverage. its 3rd and 15  with about 20 seconds left. Wilhelm throws to and excellent holman...I think the ball is on target and the wr is cocered so I go to make sure  to be there with one of the MIA DB twins   for the double coverage. But no then i can tell the WR is going to dive...uh oh...yup the double covered CC...TD!

Gah! Disasta is obviously excited as that does it. I attempt a kickoff return more hoping that my guy will fumblerooski it but no such luck. 

CIN 17 MIA 14

Game 5 PHX V JETS  After a fairly long break waiting for the losers bracket to play out I win the toss and decide to go with a fairly turdball matchup to make sure to try and keep the tecmo luck at a minimum. As expected my opponent chooses the jets. This guy had an okay playbook but his passing skills and overall strategy were sub-par. Fairly close early on as he got some taps and he won some tapping battles for big gains. But he punts from around the 50 early on. Run-moing my way down the field I "MOVE CHAINS" and TBK's legend goes fro about 20 on a catch and run for a 10-0 lead. I recover my second fumble of the first half with a fwe second left I opt for the FG rather than a rosy JJ attempt. However I shank it badly and go into th half up 10-0. He starts out the half with a long drive but it stalls at his 40 and he strangely punts rather than go for it or kick a fg. Fine by me. So his punt nets 30 yards. A nice long run-mo scramble drive and its 17-0. That would be the final score as i rack up like 15+ first downs in the game.  

PHX 17 JETS 0

That sets up me vs disasta with me having to win 2-2 to win it all. 

Game 6 CHI v CIN After some introduction pagentry for the stream Disasta wins the toss and goes with a CHI-CIN call. I prefer CHI to CIN so I roll with them. I put Anderson at top wr and run with the i-form book and two i-form pass plays. I kinda forget exactly how this game went but I do remember some key plays. It seemed like he was keying on pass a good part of the time hoping for a turnover so I stuck with mostly run plays.  

Fulcher was having a hard time doing much in slowing down bailey at rb. We both had two fumbles that went out of bounds in this game but as the tecmo gods gaveth away in my first game they gave back in this game. Bailey fumbles amidst a horde of bengals defenders. At first it looks like the ball is going to go out of bounds, but it sits there right on the sideline waiting to be recovered. Somehow none of the horde recovers it on first bounce and it bounces back towards midfield. Next go around it still looks like the Bengals will recover with 6 guys vs 1 one of mine as P2. Even after I see the recovery text i think bengals have recoverd but no my lone bear player is johhny on the spot and recovers the fumble. Disasta is expectedly not pleased and I thank the tecmo gods for their gift. I pound it in to go up 14-7. Disasta gets to the redzone but a bad? boomer undertrows the top wr and a thankfully I'm carrying a carrier and he dives for what would be the game altering int. With a bad harbaugh and tomzak. I decide I'm not going to throw a pass the rest of the way. I move neal to rb and bailey to wr.  l almost throw a pass as disasta takes a risk and comes way up with fulcher but i press b a split second to late to get it to my open wr deep. Run -run -run which was been getting big chunks on nearly every play and its 21-7. Cincy gets a late bomb but it was too little to late. 

I set tecmo back to 1940 and win with 0 yards passing. CHI 21 CIN 14

Game 7 MIN vs WAS  A chance for redemption. I win the toss for the the final and deciding game. I take controller 1 and opt to defeer the team selection. He calls the matchup call that doomed me at Tecmo X except this time I get to play as the Vikings. Mayhew's bad location and the lack of redskin lb's causes problems defnsively. I honestly kinda have forgotten the flow of this game but here's what i remember. I caught him on a few timed pass 2 jj's where he was playing as mayhew. One turned into a 30yd catch and run. But for the most part I went back to my roots and the big play early was a 60 yd chuck to AC in drone coverage. He CC's it and throw the drone and runs in for the TD. Browner would CC int rypien on a deep bomb as I get there right in time. That would set up a long FAUD FG after a decent Walker run.  10-0. Turning point of the game on the next drive. ON a called pass 1 he tries to throw the ball way to the RB but a juiced donre...millard perhaps...comes up the drone and popcorns two guys and runs in easily for the td. 17-0. He scores on his first drive of the half to make it 17-7. My drive stalls out again and in comes faud for another Fg right down the pipes. 20-7. The deep ball gets going for Disasta and he quickly scores again. the once 17-0 lead is no 20-14. It's looking grim on 3rd and 10 but I let it rip to AC praying for karmic redemption from madison where his 80yd jj ended me. A perfect lob ball and AC rises up amid 2 or 3 guys. picked play and then I mess up on a play where I had everyone open. Again I'm settling for a FG to go up the likely game ending 9 pts. Green in FAUD's face but he's money right down the middle. It's all but over but rypien rips one DEEEP to Clark in single coverage. With the help of a drone I tackle him at the 5 forcing a 1 or two more plays and a few more precious seconds. The onsides fails. I call a pass drop back wards to run out a good chunk of time. And then I punt. Disasta made the punt return interesting but ultimately after 20 difficult yards it went nowhere. 

MIN 23 WAS 21

Score one for the old vet vs disasta who I found out was born when Tecmo was made. Great games disasta. Cool meeting you and talking tecmo throughout the day. I also credit this win to the shot of Jameson bought for me before my final 3 games. Very cool to come aawy with $125 in cash a bar giftcertificate and the cool giant BO trophy.

Stayed around to have a beer and hang with urlocaltecmo guy and the guy that put on the tourney as well as a few remaining people.

Much thanks to all those for helping put on and promote the event. (Sam Mitchell, COMPTONEMT for streaming, Dave Murray for helping to promote via FB/Twitter, and Chris Vogt for promoting via twitter). Until next time..