Madison, WI - 03/07/15 - Tecmo XI: Apocalipps Now

sonofpatbeach

I'll be rolling in sometime Thursday evening again... so perhaps we can hook up for a set like we did last year (you beat me 2 games to 1, I need to answer!).

Really looking forward to MAJOR LEAGUE MAYHEM at the Super 8 all day Friday, and that nite at the preseason event as well!  Last year I got 23 games in that day before, some great battles and good times.... but that's piddling, I can do better than that..... and now that I've met all you miserable wretches in person we can just skip the niceties and do more battle, amirite!?!

Last year me and coco had like 4 or 5 TVs going in our room, hopefully people bring TVs again so we can make it like that once again..... I'll bring a ledger of some sort and we can record all the game scores, and maybe other rooms can as well (a lil Motel-wide Mayhem, if you will) and maybe I'll post them later after the tourney..... I say "maybe" though because beer and stuff are always wildcards in the heat of the tecmo action, now aint that the truth... but we got that true tecmo grit man, so I'm certain we will do whatever is necessary at the time and place we are given to do what we can to battle to the upmost of our tecmo abilities, as always, believe dat!

anyway, it's Feb. 2nd.... so when the month draws closer to its end, I'll post either a method to contact myself or someone else (I'm terrible with communications with my phone most times) or else just post my room number like I did last year (311, was it? right next to the office! haha) so we can dial up the Super 8 Mayhem to its MAXIMUM LEVEL.... which = FUN TIME.

Sweet! Yup I remember going 2-1 in our late night battle.  

Just a thought since the Tournament looks like it will be go far over the 256 limit according to my calculations.  Would it be possible to add a few groups instead of using the Friday play in method?  It seems a lot of people don't make the decision until the last minute.  I would expect around 316 people to show up based on the the average percentage increase of the previous 3 years.  That would give us around 40 groups.  Could it work to add 8 groups and add a play in for seeds 15-18?  I know there are time, equipment, and space constraints as well as extra work for the crew.  I also know it's not my tournament and not my decision to make but these are just my thoughts.

We don't expect anywhere near 316. Your estimate doesn't take into account the dozens of players that will either cancel their registration before the tournament (which we appreciate greatly) or simply no show on tournament day (which we don't).

We can't really add any groups on Saturday due to space issues (the cabin room is too crowded already, so we'll likely move a few groups out of there), and 256 is unwieldy enough as it is to manage. Plus anything that gives us more than 64 single-elim players creates an extra layer of complexity and extends the tournament by a minimum of 30 minutes.

We've gotten good feedback from everyone who's enjoyed the Friday night experience, so we hope to extend that to registrants numbered 251+ this year. It's important to remember that just because you register for slot #252 or even #262, that doesn't mean you're playing on Friday night. There's a good chance that enough guys will cancel ahead of you to create an opening for you on Saturday.

And for anyone who hasn't made up their mind before Saturday, they are still welcome to show up and give us their names on Saturday morning, and have a good shot at being a last minute fill in for a no-show player. We had 5-10 guys do that last year (mostly guys traveling with their friends who didn't sign up yet), and we only turned away two (with a refund). Those two were the only people who've ever shown up on tourney day that we weren't able to fit into the tournament in 10 years.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

We don't expect anywhere near 316. Your estimate doesn't take into account the dozens of players that will either cancel their registration before the tournament (which we appreciate greatly) or simply no show on tournament day (which we don't).

We can't really add any groups on Saturday due to space issues (the cabin room is too crowded already, so we'll likely move a few groups out of there), and 256 is unwieldy enough as it is to manage. Plus anything that gives us more than 64 single-elim players creates an extra layer of complexity and extends the tournament by a minimum of 30 minutes.

We've gotten good feedback from everyone who's enjoyed the Friday night experience, so we hope to extend that to registrants numbered 249+ this year. It's important to remember that just because you register for slot #250 or even #260, that doesn't mean you're playing on Friday night. There's a good chance that enough guys will cancel ahead of you to create an opening for you on Saturday.

And for anyone who hasn't made up their mind before Saturday, they are still welcome to show up and give us their names on Saturday morning, and have a good shot at being a last minute fill in for a no-show player. We had 5-10 guys do that last year (mostly guys traveling with their friends who didn't sign up yet), and we only turned away two (with a refund). Those two were the only people who've ever shown up on tourney day that we weren't able to fit into the tournament in 10 years.

I remember I was on the waitlist two years ago, probably about the sixth or seventh player out. I took the trip down anyways, and they still filled a few spots beyond my entry. If you're within that 10 or so on the waitlist, like Josh said, it's likely you'll still make it in. I encourage guys to register anyways.

And I had to chuckle at your signature Josh, "2015: Worse than Orenga at Tecmo"

I just hope the tagline on the poster is not some foreshadowing of Tecmo Madison's ApocaLipps being the last one...

I did not follow said rules about coitus and we have a baby on the way in April. Couldn't afford it this year regardless so here's hoping for Tecmo XII Stephen Baker's Dozen

Just updated original post with play-in/alternate information:

Who: first 251 registrants are guaranteed a spot in the tournament on Saturday. If more than 256 sign up, which is likely, we will host a play-in tournament the night before for registrants 252+. The last 5 players standing in this tourney will earn the final spots in Saturday's main event. 

With that said, we fully anticipate a number of players in the Saturday field to cancel before the tournament, at which point (just as always) we will use players in slots 252+ as alternates. For example, if 8 players cancel registration before Friday night, registrants 252-259 will enter the guaranteed Saturday field, and registrants 260+ will play on Friday night.

Those players who don't make the Final 5 in the Friday play-in tournament still have the opportunity to nab an alternate spot on Saturday morning, for those players who no-show on tournament day.

We've gotten good feedback from everyone who's enjoyed the Friday night experience, so we hope to extend that to registrants numbered 249+ this year. It's important to remember that just because you register for slot #250 or even #260, that doesn't mean you're playing on Friday night. There's a good chance that enough guys will cancel ahead of you to create an opening for you on Saturday.

Thanks for the response glad to hear the Friday portion of the tournament has been a success.  Hopefully my estimates were off.