Rom without Music

ComptonEMT

!!!!DISCLAIMER!!!!

we all love the TSB music but for streaming its nice to have some background music playing in order to cover the dead-air in the game when there is no audio. 

Hey Guys,

I was wondering, and I haven't looked into it at all yet, but is it possible to hack a rom to turn off the in game music? The main reason I ask is because I stream and one of the worst things in streaming you can do is have what is called "dead air" meaning there is no audio happening. To cover this I typically play a shoutcast of all BY and BYSA creative commons music. When I stream tecmo I actually throw it up on my TV (output from my computer). Because of that I'm typically sitting on the sofa in my office rather than at my desk. Its really hard to start and stop the music quickly when i'm that far away. Granted I could use a wireless keyboard to do just the long dead times but It might be easier if there was a rom that was hacked to not play the music. This would allow game sounds to still be heard but not worry about the in game music doubling the current music i'm playing. It would also allow for having this music during the games as well to fill the in game "dead air" that happens. 

If its possible let me know... if not... i'll figure something out =)

go to the spots in the rom where the various onfield/cutscreen music pointers are and replace them with a pointer that will give no sound.  it's an easy thing to do.  I have done it before on a rom of mine (at least partially).  

check out the documentation.

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/3961-change-tecmo-in-game-music/

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/4144-adding-sounds-to-menu-items/?p=419992

Edited by buck

OK... so its been a long long time since I did anything like this with hexediting and such. managed to get the in game music done but need to find the stuff for TDs and post game now. My face is hurting... been out of the game too long. Spoiled by the modern coding ease of current languages. 

The only music that really starts to annoy me is the post-game stats screen.  I wish I could turn that off.

to kill postgame music, set 0xee2d to "01" or whatever you want.  I think "01" works to mute.

to kill preseason, season, playoff music, set the 8 bytes starting at 0x255f7 to "0101010101010101" or whatever you want.  I think "01" works.

refer to brookstonfowler's list of sounds/music if "01" causes problems or you would like to try something else.

obviously, there is still "music" for sacks and all that kind of stuff.  those can be killed too, but I don't have time to mess right now.  

to kill postgame music, set 0xee2d to "01" or whatever you want.  I think "01" works to mute.

to kill preseason, season, playoff music, set the 8 bytes starting at 0x255f7 to "0101010101010101" or whatever you want.  I think "01" works.

refer to brookstonfowler's list of sounds/music if "01" causes problems or you would like to try something else.

obviously, there is still "music" for sacks and all that kind of stuff.  those can be killed too, but I don't have time to mess right now.  

Cool, thanks buck.

• 10 months later...