Cross-Platform challenge: TSB, TSB1, TSB2, and TSB3

deadfaulkner

Chaosrison and I came up with a little challenge for ourselves - call a matchup live-tourney style, and then play that matchup across the four main TSB platforms: TSB, TSB1, TSB2, and TSB3.  Like live tourneys, the player who doesn't pick the matchup picks the team, but the catch is that he's got to use that team in all four matchups.

The first matchup we decided on is Detroit-Washington, because we felt like that's fairly even across all the platforms. 

Maybe someday we'd like to do a small league or tournament using this idea, because it is really fun.  But for now, I just wondered what people's opinions are: what matchups do you think would be interesting to play across all four platforms?

Ps1

Remember the old game "Rampage" from the arcades and on the NES?  My friend and I rented that one Saturday afternoon, and spent the whole day solving it (we didn't even know if the game had a solution).  It does.  After hours and hours of playing, it says "Congratulations!" and sends you back to the title screen.

Playing a tournament that ends on PS1 TSB would feel exactly that deflating.

There would need to be a fifth game in order to be a tournament right?

Maybe whoever picks the matchup defers the right to pick the fifth game of it gets that far?

I'm not sure what format the tournament would take - I think the championship match would involve all four games, and this would be a good idea for that.

For the buildup rounds, I was thinking that the coin-toss winner would get to call matchup and team, and the other player gets to pick the platform.

The problem with NES Tecmo Bowl is that it doesn't have the full number of teams.  For example, we would not be able to do our current challenge because Detroit isn't in Tecmo Bowl.  I'm almost tempted to say PSX.  Also, TSB 2 has multiple rosters on the rom, so that's an option, but you would still be playing the same game more than once.

Couple more ideas

Two more things you can pick is controller side and tiebreaker console

Otherwise you can label a die as TSB, TSB I, TSB III, and 92, 93, 94 TSB II. The big downside, if you consider it that, is that you have a 50% chance of playing TSB II.

Remember the old game "Rampage" from the arcades and on the NES?  My friend and I rented that one Saturday afternoon, and spent the whole day solving it (we didn't even know if the game had a solution).  It does.  After hours and hours of playing, it says "Congratulations!" and sends you back to the title screen.

Playing a tournament that ends on PS1 TSB would feel exactly that deflating.

>_> I swear I'm the only one who loves the PS1 version.

Couple more ideas

Two more things you can pick is controller side and tiebreaker console

Otherwise you can label a die as TSB, TSB I, TSB III, and 92, 93, 94 TSB II. The big downside, if you consider it that, is that you have a 50% chance of playing TSB II.

This is a pretty good idea, but rather than the three TSB II sides, you could just have one side be labeled for TSB II (whatever roster is preferred) and label the two remaining sides "P1" and "P2" - if either of those sides comes up, either P1 or P2 gets to choose the platform for the final game.

TSB II is a strange game, indeed - the weird music lag, I'd forgotten how unsettling it is...