help COM QB throw while running? (embedding complex code)

buck

Behind the line of scrimmage, I want a COM controlled QB to move around, but also be able to throw a pass using x90 command if the QB is approached by a defender.  I don't want to just move him and then start the Throwing process.  I want the throwing process to be in effect *while* the com QB is moving around, so that QB will not take a sack.

I have been trying to embed the C1+x90 command inside a FC FF E0 DF type of loop, but the DF never relinquishes control.  Something like this:

FC FF E0 DF C1 14 24 FF 91 E1 F2 "code to give possession" "LOOP BACK" FC

But like I said, the DF command takes over and that seems to be the end of it.

Any ideas or work arounds you can think of?  I'm sure there's something I'm missing or not thinking of...

THAT would be an AWESOME hack.  With the "COM find open receiver" hack, this would be the last piece of the puzzle to enable the COM to pass like a human player.  One question: sometimes the QB will sprint out of the pocket but then fire a pass right before he crosses the line of scrimmage.  Would this short-circuit that behavior?

well, I'm pretty sure all the default 1991 TSB Play QB "scramble and throw" code is just straight up command to move, then stop, maybe jump to throw, move again, maybe jump to throw, etc.  so it's just a preset pseudo random sequence, where there is no real "decision" made, based on what the defense does.

what I am talking about in this thread is not a "hack", just ideas for manipulation of the already available code in the play engine.

• 8 months later...

buck, did you ever make any headway on this?

What if you manipulated the avoid sack command?  Obviously, the com QB's response to a sack danger is to throw the ball or take the sack.  What if you added a third option -- throw the ball, take the sack, or DF?

Or . . . throw the ball, take the sack, or run a rollout (very similar to the rollout routes in the Rollout R and Rollout L plays) and then, at the end of the route, loop back to the x90 command?  I like this idea the best because it's very similar to how a human plays AND the rollout route makes it still possible that a sack can occur even if we ramp up the avoid sack command to FF on all the QB instructions (I think sacks should still be part of the game).

Of course, I have no idea how to get into the avoid sack command.  What do you think?

no man, I gave up and just did what original TSB did - hardcoded some moves based on probabilities (chance) - no real "decision making" for COM.

xlpozv has figured this stuff out though, I think. 

Yeah I have this figured out and I'm hoping to release my rom update which has it this by the weekend. I also have just finished another major hack. How would you like to lead your WRs like madden? Throw them open on the move and once they have stopped in place!!! Overthrow them if they get past the DB, throw a comeback route on the fly if DBs are dropping deep, throw left or right too!!!

Yeah I have this figured out and I'm hoping to release my rom update which has it this by the weekend. I also have just finished another major hack. How would you like to lead your WRs like madden? Throw them open on the move and once they have stopped in place!!! Overthrow them if they get past the DB, throw a comeback route on the fly if DBs are dropping deep, throw left or right too!!!

This is insanity.

Awesome.

• 1 year later...