recollections of blocked FG returned for TD

Green Majik

We've all had it happen to us: We hold the CPU to a red zone field goal, and then have the luck to block it...only to have the kicker or offensive lineman pick it up and run for the TD--TWO field goals for the price of one (and then adding insult to injury, the PAT).

Or sometimes it goes the other way--your long FG attempt is blocked and snagged by the defense, who galump 50+ yards for the TD. Hooray, a negative-seven point field goal! Most of the time, when such events occur, I'm on the crappy end of the stick.

But recently I was in favor of the Special Teams gods. I am in a "Defense + Special Teams only" season with the Washington Redskins. I was playing the Falcons, who were 4-5 like me--we are both desperate to stay in the NFC Playoff hunt. I am down 7-2 late in the 3rd quarter when Lohmiller lines up for the 45-yd FG after a Mayhew INT. On "bad" condition, Lohmiller is no gimme from 45 yd out, in fact he's been ice cold (about 28/39 for the season). I'm about to shank the next FG when it gets blocked! I have the sense to grapple the blocker with Lohmiller. And who ends up snagging the pigskin?

Mark Rypien!!! Rypien finds his blockers, then rumbles 35 yd for the TD and the winning score. It will likely be Rypien's only score of the season, seeing as my offense never sees the field but on special teams. 

Does anyone else have a story of having a FG or Punt block go their way for a score? It seems rare indeed. 

I think the game adds 100 to the MS in that situation. Punters score a TON of touchdowns in Tecmo (all versions), especially when the returner fumbles.

Indeed. I've had a game where the punter scored two TD's in one game. I found it extremely comical that the punter would be on the top scorers list, if even once.

I had a 175 game win streak v. the CPU snapped in an AFC Championship game when I was KC v. PIT.  I was down 19-14, PIT was kicking an FG as time expired and I blocked it with Derrick Thomas...he could...go...all...the...tackled at the PIT 10...dammit! lol...so close

• 3 weeks later...

The craziest play I ever saw, was sorta like OP

except it was completely a called shot

my friend was playing as the redskins, was down 4 or 6 against the giants, and they were driving on him.   they got to the 10 yard line, 2 seconds left, and were going to kick a field goal

he pauses the game, says to me, "the only way I can win is if I block the field goal, and darrell green picks up the ball to return it"

and wouldn't you know it, that's exactly what happened

I've never been so psyched watching a game that I wasn't even playing