Touchdown screens for fantasy scoreboard

szac

Hi,

I'm working on an live fantasy scoreboard and would like to incorporate the touchdown, injury, QB celebration, etc screens when an owners player scores.

I'm building the scoreboard in PyGame and it'll only be those screens reacting to live streaming NFL data. There's no actual game play or simulation or editing any ROMs or anything. Just a app that shows read only data.  

I've been hunting around the forums for a few hours and looked in the glossary,etc but could not find the information around these screens. What are they referred to here?  Has this or a similar project already been created?  Thanks!

Joe

Hi,

I'm working on an live fantasy scoreboard and would like to incorporate the touchdown, injury, QB celebration, etc screens when an owners player scores.

I'm building the scoreboard in PyGame and it'll only be those screens reacting to live streaming NFL data. There's no actual game play or simulation or editing any ROMs or anything. Just a app that shows read only data.  

I've been hunting around the forums for a few hours and looked in the glossary,etc but could not find the information around these screens. What are they referred to here?  Has this or a similar project already been created?  Thanks!

Joe

I don't know if anything exactly like this has been done. They're referred to as "cutscenes" 

Are you just looking for artwork?  Essentially the easiest way would be to play/sim a game on an emulator, record that game, and either take screen shots or export to video and pull out what you need.

I'd recommend fceux for the emulator and you can hit our download section for roms.

Edited by Knobbe
I am a noob

Hi,

Joe

Hey Joe & welcome!

Nothing like this has been created to my knowledge. i have all of the scenes separated by individual frames in an indexed image format. Depending on how you plan to execute. You could color the player's jersey on the fly and initiate an animated gif, swf, etc.

Shoot me a message and I can send you over any images you may need. Sounds like a rad project!

Thanks for the info, guys!  @davefmurray I've sent you a PM.  I'm aiming to have the app running on a Raspberry Pi connected to an old monitor.  Like a simple dashboard for scores. 

Do you guys know of any projects where people use real time NFL data to create sims on the fly? Would be neat to have a cutscene go to an instant replay of the TD. Similar to that Auburn 105yd missed field goal recreation. Are those hand coded? 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I've got the app live updating scores, and am able to parse out the description of the last play to know if there's been a score, sack, interception, etc. This allows me to switch to a cutscene upon score change of the live game.  

There are three views to the app which will display on three physical monitors rear mounted to a wooden scoreboard 6' x 3' scoreboard (yet to be built). Two are for 17" monitors and show the home and away scores, the third is a larger monitor that shows the clock, possession and the cutscenes. 

I'll share a link to the source if anyone is interested. 

• 3 months later...

Any update on this?  The project sounds nifty.

I found this when I searched for Raspberry Pi.  I just bought one, a little tiny black case, a micro SD card and a bluetooth usb dongle (for PS3 controllers (fingers crossed I can get that working)) for old gaming emulation (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc), but mostly for TSB.  Hopefully I can have this up and running this weekend.