Tecmonster's TSB 2015 ready for download

Tecmonster

Many, many hours have been logged, but it's finally done!  The game is attached and so is the first ever "Preview Magazine" to the game.  I spent a lot of time on it and I think a lot of you will appreciate it.  Madden ratings were used once again to rate every player.  Here's a list of hacks and hack authors used to help create this:

-- 32-team expansion rom (cx_rom, Maynard, Knobbe, others)

-- helmets, field colors (keithisgood)

-- COM looks for open receivers (jstout)

-- COM Ultra Logic to play better defense (jstout)

-- moving & dynamic grapples (bruddog)

-- MAN vs. MAN popcorning (jstout)

-- sort receiving leaders by yards (jstout)

-- more accurate attribute labels, like “Acceleration” (Tecmonster)

-- kicking arrow speed & range to make FG’s easier (Tecmonster)

-- COM minimum kickoff distance (bruddog)

-- increase kickoff ball speed (maynard, bodom)

-- increase shotgun snap speed (jstout)

-- tougher to block FG’s by adding personal protectors (Tecmonster)

-- increase QB fumble rate (jstout)

-- decrease diving animation time slightly (xplozv)

-- decrease handoff animation time (xplozv)

-- COM “juice” edited (by Tecmonster)

-- PA affects “catchability/interceptability” of the pass (jstout)

-- set kick returner farther back (bodom)

-- Ball Control ratios edited so BC means more (by Tecmonster)

-- static schedules from week to week (bruddog)

-- Quickness changed to Coverage (jstout)

-- kick returners use their own speed rating (konforce, jstout)

-- stats screen at halftime (xplozv)

-- corrected playoff bracket (pambazos)

-- MAN-controlled QB rollouts on the rollout plays (Tecmonster)

-- LB’s moved farther back from line of scrimmage (Tecmonster)

-- Run & Shoot QB’s almost never scramble (Tecmonster)

-- “heavy pass” teams don’t pass quite as much (Tecmonster)

-- PLAYBOOKS! (I have drastically changed the playbooks to make them more useful, logical, balanced, and modern), including:

-- improved blocking schemes for many run plays

-- brand new plays, including but not limited to:

-- Shotgun Zone Read RB R

-- Shotgun Zone Read QB L (with QB HP boost)

-- Shotgun Zone Read X Fly (pass)

-- Pro Set Quick Pitch L

-- Pro Set Quick Pitch R

-- Pro Set Zone Pitch R

-- 1back Offtackle R

-- 1back Pitch R

-- 1back Pitch L

-- Run and Shoot Y Pick

-- Shotgun XY Cross (in first pass slot)

-- 1back Flare C

-- Pro Z Deep Post

-- some receiving routes for existing plays improved

-- some receiving routes added, like for Oneback Flare A

-- massive re-organization of plays in each slot

-- thanks to bruddog, buck, and pambazos (zone read plays) for helping me understand play-making.

-- team rosters, jersey #’s, faces (tommy2teeth)

Thanks to all contributors.  Hope you enjoy the second year of my rom.

Tecmonster

Tecmonster's TSB 2015.nes

Tecmonster's 2015 TSB Preview Magazine.pdf

Thanks guys.  Knobbe, this is the first and last release this season.  If you don't like Bradford being in there, then you'll probably hate Sean Lee being included.  There are a small handful of stars that won't play this year but I put them back in the game because the dropoff behind them was immense.  In fact, my rule was that if the injured star's backup was rated 10+ points worse overall in Madden, then the injured player would make the roster.

I realize that it's more accurate to put Shaun Hill behind center for the Rams now, but it makes the Rams' passing game comically bad and I prefer tighter competition/gameplay to roster accuracy, if I have to make a choice between the two.

Oh man, I applied those grapple hacks so long I ago, I couldn't tell you.  On one of those bruddog hacks, bruddog himself implemented it for me because I couldn't get it to work (I think it was the dynamic grapples).  That particular hack tends to favor HP and randomness over # of button punches, which I like.

Anyway, Ball has 63 HP and Berry has 50, so you'll definitely be at a disadvantage in that situation. 

I may have noticed a minor issue.  I had tried replacing (simple cut and paste in TOOL) some teams in this rom with some teams from one of my roms and the game would crash in direct gameplay only, sim was fine.  So i copied and pasted one team at a time, saved then loaded in the emulator to see if it crashed.  Everything worked out until i got to the rams.  Once i figured out it was the possibly the rams I even tried and copying and pasting from the original rams team (original tecmo super bowl rams) and it crashed again.  I wanted to make sure I didn't make a mistake with one of my teams.  I found that if i even changed sam bradford's name and attributes the gameplay mode would crash.  Possibly operator error on my part, but i haven't had anything like this happen in a long time. 

there is a limited amount of character space for the NFC West.  Maybe you have exceeded it?

I may have noticed a minor issue.  I had tried replacing (simple cut and paste in TOOL) some teams in this rom with some teams from one of my roms and the game would crash in direct gameplay only, sim was fine.  So i copied and pasted one team at a time, saved then loaded in the emulator to see if it crashed.  Everything worked out until i got to the rams.  Once i figured out it was the possibly the rams I even tried and copying and pasting from the original rams team (original tecmo super bowl rams) and it crashed again.  I wanted to make sure I didn't make a mistake with one of my teams.  I found that if i even changed sam bradford's name and attributes the gameplay mode would crash.  Possibly operator error on my part, but i haven't had anything like this happen in a long time. 

Yeah I know the problem: every time you use TSBToolSupreme to edit the rom, it applies some unknown code over some of the moving grapple hack code, so you have to go back into the code with a hex editor AFTER using TSBToolSupreme and re-add that particular section of code . . .  or the game will glitch.  If you use the Translhextion hex editor, I'm sending you the code inside a zip file.  I recommend opening this zip file and placing the one and only file that is inside it on your Desktop. 

How you apply this file is to open up your rom in Translhextion and jump to offset x3ffc0 (by clicking Offset > Jump To).  Highlight (by dragging on) that byte + the next 48 bytes (49 bytes total), then:

1) go to Selection and click "Fill Selection with..."

2) in the pop-up box, select "File" from the dropdown box after "Fill selection with"

3) click "Browse" and find your file (preferably on your Desktop) and select it

4) click "OK"

5) Go "File" and save your rom.

This should fix the problem.  Every time you edit your rom with TSBToolSupreme, you're going to have to do this directly afterwards though.

Here's the other caveat: some of the names of the Arizona Cardinals (or in your case, maybe even as far as the Rams, but that's odd) might be screwed up now.  This is because the location for one section of the moving grapples hack is prone to getting overlapped a little bit with the player names of the NFC West.  For my rom, that meant I just had to shorten each first name of the Cardinals defense to one initial (in TSBToolSupreme).  Then, of course, I had to re-add that grapple code at x3ffc0 using the procedure above.

For those that plan to edit the rosters with TSBToolSupreme and/or run a fantasy league, I've also attached "cheat sheets" that will help during the draft, if you still plan on using my rosters and player ratings.

x3ffc0.zip

Tecmonster's TSB 2015 - Fantasy Appendix.pdf

maybe the random HP numbers were just consistently not in my favor

Here's the other factor I forgot to mention with bruddog's dynamic grapple hack:  if you choose a pass play on defense but the computer runs the football, every player on your defense loses one notch of HP for that play only.  If you choose a run play and the computer also chooses a run play, then every one of your defensive players temporarily gains a notch in HP.

Thanks Broncofan.

Now I'm attaching the last support document, and very few people will care about this one but if you want to quickly change some teams' playbooks or offensive preferences inside a hex editor, it should save you some time.  It also provides an overview of the 11 different playbook sets that I decided for each team.

Tecmonster's TSB 2015 - Playbook Plan.pdf

Tecmonster - this ROM is tight!  It plays very similar to the ROMs I used to keep with A LOT of the same ideas.  Totally dig the game manual and playbook organization.  I don't think I'll have the time to throw my own together this year, so I'll definitely be playing this ROM.

Also, in response to this thread...

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/11106-tsb-editor-tsbtool-supreme-season-generator/page-9

Check out the attached file.  It helps importing rosters into TSB Tool (*And I have already loaded the data from YOUR ROM into it).  There's a tab for every player position so you can sort and compare ratings easily.

A few things to note:

-  The plays are off by a digit.  The playbook program you are using labels plays 0-7, while TSB Tool labels 1-8 (example if your Run plays are 0254, in TSB Tool they are 1365).

-  There's tabs for playbooks as well as team sim values and team formations.

-  Check out the "Name Length" column - it will notify you if a players name is too long and will be cut off.

-  Make sure to follow the 'sorting' instructions or the teams will get jumbled.

Hope it helps...

TSBTool Import Spreadsheet.xlsx

Wow, I just looked at that -- what a system.  That should save me a lot of time next year, thanks Bodom!  I can't say I understand how it all works right now, but I'm sure I will or just ask you the things I don't quite grasp.  Do you have formulas for calculating sim values for each player and team?  I saw the sim value tabs, but I didn't notice any formulas buried within any of the cells -- just the straight numbers.

Wow, I just looked at that -- what a system.  That should save me a lot of time next year, thanks Bodom!  I can't say I understand how it all works right now, but I'm sure I will or just ask you the things I don't quite grasp.  Do you have formulas for calculating sim values for each player and team?  I saw the sim value tabs, but I didn't notice any formulas buried within any of the cells -- just the straight numbers.

Yeah, any questions just ask.  The spreadsheet itself was created by another TB.org member, but I've added some heavy customization over the past few years.  There are no formulas for any of the sim values.  The separate tab for the defense sim is only to catch any errors.