What's your most memorable play?

TSBforever

I've played TSB since literally the day it came out, and I've obviously played in some epic games. However, I believe that my most memorable play is probably about 20 years ago, the first time I ever had a pick 6. We all know how difficult it is to run back interceptions. I had a 50 yard pick 6 with Ben Smith from Philly. How about you?

Recovering an onside kick with a minute left in the Super Bowl to set up the game-winning touchdown by Marc Wilson to upset the San Francisco 49ers. I had exclusively played as elite teams before, so that championship was the absolute sweetest.

About 5 years ago, not long after I first got back into TsB (after about 15 years on the lam), with the Browns in the Final, against I forget who (the Eagles?).  Down at least 4, with less than a minute to go.  Make the unusual decision (for me) to sub-in Eric Metcalf at WR1.  Some 60-odd yards to go.  Hurl it Metcalf's way.  He pulls it in - in double coverage - grapples out of first would-be tackler.  Jukes.  Might've bounced another tackler (I don't remember, right-now), and weaves his way to paydirt...  COM receive the ensuing kickoff, but time soon runs out and Browns win.

Recovering an onside kick with a minute left in the Super Bowl to set up the game-winning touchdown by Marc Wilson to upset the San Francisco 49ers. I had exclusively played as elite teams before, so that championship was the absolute sweetest.

About 5 years ago, not long after I first got back into TsB (after about 15 years on the lam), with the Browns in the Final, against I forget who (the Eagles?). Down at least 4, with less than a minute to go. Make the unusual decision (for me) to sub-in Eric Metcalf at WR1. Some 60-odd yards to go. Hurl it Metcalf's way. He pulls it in - in double coverage - grapples out of first would-be tackler. Jukes. Might've bounced another tackler (I don't remember, right-now), and weaves his way to paydirt... COM receive the ensuing kickoff, but time soon runs out and Browns win.

Haha that's awesome. At that point in the game the computer is toughest. It doesn't matter if you're rice or not, they catch everything. Really have to mind your p's and q's. Edited by TSBforever

this was 6 years ago in the World Tecmo Federation (WTF) 1993 season week15.  the winner of the game secured the last playoff WC berth.  then this happened:

gino%20to%20carl.gif

hake was so upset!  i went on to win the SB that season.  all came down to that play.

that's one of the coolest Tecmo things I've seen.

semi-finals of the NYC tournament.  

my opponent (tadaos) just scored to go up 20-14 with a kick off and 1 play remaining in the game.  I substituted Marino for Scott Mitchell for the bomb.  He was the Chiefs and rushed me.  I evaded the rush and chucked it up.. Mark Clayton snagged it around midfield and zig zagged his way for the TD with drones diving everywhere as the crowd went wild.

the game was being streamed but unfortunately it was lost forever due to twitch regulations.  

the crowd reaction can be heard at the end of this video at the same event: http://youtu.be/kt6S17utF70?t=19m3s

semi-finals of the NYC tournament.  

my opponent (tadaos) just scored to go up 20-14 with a kick off and 1 play remaining in the game.  I substituted Marino for Scott Mitchell for the bomb.  He was the Chiefs and rushed me.  I evaded the rush and chucked it up.. Mark Clayton snagged it around midfield and zig zagged his way for the TD with drones diving everywhere as the crowd went wild.

the game was being streamed but unfortunately it was lost forever due to twitch regulations.  

the crowd reaction can be heard at the end of this video at the same event: http://youtu.be/kt6S17utF70?t=19m3s

If there were ever a game I wish we got on film, it was that one.  Stupid twitch.  The ending of yours was one for the ages.  At least we got the other one, which was a great game too. 

I've had some epic punt returns for TD's as well. For some reason, Leo Lewis on Minnesota hauls serious ass. I've noticed that guys with low MS seem to make the best punt returners. I also like throwing in Ottis Anderson, Okoye, Cobb, Mueller, etc. Heavy HP guys that sweep away all competition at punt return.

I've had some epic punt returns for TD's as well. For some reason, Leo Lewis on Minnesota hauls serious ass. I've noticed that guys with low MS seem to make the best punt returners. I also like throwing in Ottis Anderson, Okoye, Cobb, Mueller, etc. Heavy HP guys that sweep away all competition at punt return.

ok.  prepare to have mind blown...

Punt Returner Maximum Speed comes from teams Strong Safety (Browner, in MIN case).

Kick Returner Maximum Speed comes from teams Right Tackle.

it makes sense to sub a fullback (with 44 RS and high HP) in at returner, since their MS doesn't even matter in those situations.

well, the KR replaces the RT in kick return formation and the PR replaces the SS in the punt return formation...is it a "bug" or a "feature" to limit guys using Bo for KR?

speaking of special teams, one of my most memorable plays was a game between a friend and I.  

I was kicking a last second FG to win, he blocked it, my team recovered it and I ran around and across the field and eventually scored TD with no time on clock.

and in general, if you can run a play so long that the on-field music "loops" it's pretty exciting!

I wonder what the field goal record is? Also, I've had several instances of scoring TD's (and winning games) when the opposing team is backed up on their own goal line and run the shotgun play where the RB runs to the flat and curls in and sits there. Regardless if anybody else is covered or not, I'll cover that guy every time. But sometimes I get burned for 100 yard touchdowns. I'll take that risk every time.

I was the Chiefs and was down a score at the end of the fourth. I called three straight Pass 4s (shotgun where all but one of the receivers go deep). He kept picking my play, and I kept hitting B as soon as I could throw the ball. Every time Barry Word would make a diving catch and be insta-tackled. The third one was in the end zone :)

My very first league game in UTL. 2002? - Tushar's Redskins vs davefmurray's Pain Train - I stayed at work because we had broadband internet and I wanted to make sure my connection was good for my first league game. 4th Qtr and down by 4, 14-10. I am near the 50 with under :30 to go. Jeff Garcia at QB - high MS, low PS... DAT JJ TIME. I heave it and it is caught at the 5, I outgrapple my darker opponent and juke him to cross the goal line but GREY SCREEN!

Tushar immediately heads to the forum to complain that my graphics card crashed and that he would have gladly finished the game, but now we have to replay it. Ihoagied investigates and catches Tushar in a myriad of inconsistent IMs. Drama ensues. AIM chat logs are posted. davefmurray is crowned winner. The rivalry of davefmurray & Tushar is born.

Punt return td's and pick 6's are always awesome and rare.

Indeed. I've had some full field punt returns before, but only with guys running everywhere and diving like crazy. During the seasons as the CPU difficulty picks up, it's hilarious to see the opposing punter be a kamikaze out there. I've been ran down several times by him. Picks are a pain in the ass because it's almost like whenever there's a pick, there's some sort of automatic speed penalty as opposed to fumbles where the speed of the player who scoops it up seems to have randomized speed. Sometimes the player is lightning fast and other times snail slow. It's odd.

Has anybody had any epic last play of the game/regulation plays?

I've had a few throws that went 90 yards or so with the receiver timing it perfectly making a diving catch in the corner of the endzone. It seems odd to me how as the difficulty picks up during the course of the season, a 90 yard throw can be caught on a dive with 9 defenders standing right there.

Whatever, I'll take it.

In 1999, in TSB 3 for the SNES I had a game-ending 75ish-yard pick 6 against the Cowboys in front of my roommate, right after I said the only way I could win was with one. I talked about it on here a few years ago (maybe under a different username). Anyway, it was a lucky break that the player had good HP because I had to break half a dozen tackles to do it.