QB Browns unmasked

Knobbe

In depth look into the live of Bernie Kosar.

One of many former NFL players who fight the perception that they're drunk as opposed to being hit so many times on the football field.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/88180330/football-has-more-to-give-and-take-from-quarterback-bernie-kosar#!bCGCQk

I'm not a big believer in the whole "concussion" thing as a whole. It just seems to me nowadays, everybody gets them. I think it's more of an individual thing myself.

Take boxing for instance. Those guys get repeatedly punched in the head thousands of times in their careers.some later on in life have speech difficulty and seem slower than the norm (Evander Holyfield) and than their are some that have had long careers and are fine (George Foreman).

In my opinion, I feel most of these so called concussion sufferers are either current or former drug and alcohol abusers. Be it pain killers, alcohol, steroid use, drugs. Most of the guys that have died or have it severely have done all these things at some point in their lives, not to mention while still playing. When you alter your brain chemistry with substance abuse you become more susceptible to brain trauma.

I work in a manufacturing facility. You know how many times I've whacked my skull on a solid steel machine, or pipe of some sort? Quite a bit! Seen, " black/stars" many times. I still have to keep going. I don't get concussion tests or get to take a free week or two off from work. Concussions and their protocol are pussifying sports completely. I also boxed as an amateur for nine years as well, just for recreation and I'm not affected.

Kosar was definitely a cocaine user and severe alchoholic, I know for fact.

I'm not a big believer in the whole "concussion" thing as a whole. It just seems to me nowadays, everybody gets them. I think it's more of an individual thing myself.

I work in a manufacturing facility. You know how many times I've whacked my skull on a solid steel machine, or pipe of some sort? Quite a bit! Seen, " black/stars" many times. I still have to keep going. I don't get concussion tests or get to take a free week or two off from work. Concussions and their protocol are pussifying sports completely. I also boxed as an amateur for nine years as well, just for recreation and I'm not affected.

It very likely varies by person. 

You give one person 10 concussions and they are fine.

You give another peson 10 concussions and they end up shooting themselves in the head.

Until we can figure out exactly what a blow to the head is going to do, would you rather see some guys who would be fine not play or some guys not kill themselves? The NFLPA armed with research and tragedy is moving towards the former.

there are so many variables to consider....

who's to say that a person wouldn't have depression/anger/violence issues anyways?  I mean, football is a very violent and emotional game - I think it takes a peculiar person to be a pro football player.  so that person may be more peculiar in other ways, too.

and who's to say if dna, drugs, medicine, alcohol, or lifestyle in general made them messed up?

like with anything, no one lives the exact same life and has the exact same genes -  so it's very to compare.

Whatever happened to Brian Sipe, how come he don't get all this media love?

I was talking to a Browns fan last month that I met locally, really nice old man and we were talking about the Browns and I asked him who he'd prefer; Sipe or Kosar? He said Sipe was the better QB and the 1980 team to him was a bigger heart breaker than both the 1986 and 1987 teams. In his words "Red Right 88 could have been prevented, 1986 and 1987 were failures on all counts".

Sipe's best year was 1980 and was far better than both of Kosar's 1986 and 1987 seasons.

1980 should have been the Browns' year. They had that magic to them, and they gave the Raiders the toughest game of that post season. The Raiders managed to win by 10+ on San Diego and they stomped all over the Eagles. The Browns could have done that too that season.

Compared to 1987, even though the Browns were good, you do have to admit, they played like shit against Denver. They let the Broncos run it down their throat, and even when the game was tied, they couldn't stop Denver. Blaming that entire game on Earnest Byner is not fair.

Just my opinion, not trying to take away from Bernie and I know I might upset the Cleveland fans, but Sipe does at least deserve a little praise yet he gets none whatsoever. He's the only Browns QB in the Super Bowl era to win a season MVP. I think if Marty had Sipe back in his prime, the Browns would have put up those same impressive winning seasons, and probably even better.

Bernie played 9 years in Cleveland, as did Sipe, and still Sipe out lasted him when it came to franchise records in statistics.

Just imaging Sipe in his prime on the Schottenheimer Browns teams would have been an upgrade to Bernie but I still think they wouldn't have won it.

And finally, let's be totally honest about those late 80's Browns teams.

The Browns would have been DESTROYED by the Giants and Skins in those two Super Bowls, and everyone should know that. Even if they barely out lasted Denver, does not mean they wouldn't have got their asses kicked in the same way by much better NFC teams. They would have been demolished by that Giants defense in 86, that defense was one of the best ever. In 87, I highly doubt they would have been able to handle Washington's receivers when they couldn't stop the Broncos receivers for half of the day. I don't think the Browns would have stood a chance against Washington. Denver got shredded to pieces by no name Timmy Smith on the ground, as much as Cleveland struggled with Denver's receivers, I find it hard to believe they could have out lasted Washington in that Super Bowl.

I'm not saying that to be harsh, but I find that 1987 Browns team to be very overrated. Everywhere you look, you hear about how Earnest Byner is the devil and how this is supposedly the best Browns team ever, but I'd take that 1980 unit over them. Strike or not, it don't matter, both the 1986 and 1987 team would have got their asses kicked hard by much better NFC teams, just as Denver did in the big one. It was still the era where the NFC flat out destroyed AFC teams, and those NFC teams were all across the board far better than the elite AFC teams.

The 1980 Browns could have and probably more than likely should have beat the Raiders. Just look at how the Raiders romped over everyone after that. Now compare that to how Denver got stomped into the ground so hard in those Super Bowls. I don't think the Browns would have fared much better against those NFC teams than the Broncos did, but the 1980 Browns, I actually think were the better Browns team.