New York, NY - 10/04/14 - The New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament 2014

Thanks, Ryan.  I noticed that this morning.  It shall be done!

Also, I lost to Teta 30-14.  I need that extra point to save my pride!  Also, the matchup between Josh and I was 21-7 I believe.

Also, the game between Patrick B and Matthew D went to Double OT.  Thought that should be noted!

Some cutting-edge analysis:

Arncoem (10) and Brad (9) played the most games.

—Matt D was 8-0 and Teta was 7-1
—Five people went 0-5
—17 of 31 players got in at least 6 games
—San Diego was 9-2 overall and 5-0 in playoffs (Arncoem got two big wins with Chargers)
—Most used: MIN 13; KC 12; SD/CHI 11; CIN 10
—Pittsburgh was 0-5; Jets 1-5; WAS 1-4

Some of our who-picked-who data is incomplete, but in pool play:
—Bears were put in 6 matchups, the coin toss loser took Chicago 5 times. All 6 Bears matchups featured a different opponent. Of course that changed in bracket, where CIN-CHI was very popular
—Coin loser took KC 6 of 8 matchups (twice over Miami)
—Coin loser took Dallas in 4 of 6 matchups, twice over Denver. The two times the coin loser went away from Dallas were both for the Cardinals
—Houston was put in 7 matchups vs GIA/BUF/SF—the coin loser only picked Houston twice
—Coin loser took opponent 5 of 6 times over Saints—Nobody likes the Walsh/Fourcade combo I guess
—SF was put in 5 matchups, coin loser took them every time

Scores:

17 of 63 pool games were decided by 7 or fewer points including one tie.

9 of 31 bracket games decided by 7 points or fewer

16 shutouts in pool games, plus 6 more teams held to 6 or fewer points

6 shutouts in bracket games, plus 3 more teams held to 3 points

Largest margin of victory was 42 by Michael W. Teta and Francis each had 41 point wins. Ed had two 38-0 wins.

Matt and I headed out from our police state in Northeast PA early Saturday morning with the hopes and dreams of a million children on Christmas morning. It was another awesome tournament in New York; fun set up, good venue, and great people.  

I was in the Anderson pool group (Ryan K, Sean B, Anthony, Patrick G & Myself).   I had two Oilers/Giants matchups and one 49ers/Oilers matchup.  These were teams I usually don't play with often and was pretty shaky stopping anything on defense.   I was able to play my pool play game with Ryan K on stream (Cowboys/Cardinals). The stream was great, so kudos for the hard work there.  My mom even tuned into the stream at some point during the day, lol. 

I finished 3-1 in group play and was the 11th seed in the bracket.  My first game was against Derek T, he called Seahawks/Colts and i picked the Colts.  I fumbled on my first drive but was able to hold for a field goal.  After trading punts, I fumbled again but was able to get the ball right back on an interception right before half.  I had a chance for one last play and bombed it to Bill Brooks.  He JJ'd it at the 10 and juked around defenders and dove for the bottom pylon for a huge TD.  Derek scored a late TD to cut the score to 21-17 but I recovered the onside kick for the win.  

In the round of 16, I played David T. in a Bucs/Chargers matchup which was on stream.  He played a great game, eventually taking a 17-7 lead with the Chargers.  I pulled off a late scoring drive to cut it to 17-14 and kicked off deep.   After intercepting him in my end zone, I had a chance to win it and I went for the jugular on the first play after the INT but Testaverde overthrew Carrier and it was intercepted.  

It wasn't all disappointment after that because I got to hang with my good friend who lives in Astoria.  We had some drinks/food, played some pool and watched several of Matt's remaining games.  It was another great showing from him.  Funny story, another friend of mine texted me at like 3:30 because he was watching some of the stream, I told him Matt was definitely going to win it all and he did.  Congratulations!

And also, thank you to all the organizers of the tournament.  We appreciate all the hard work it takes to put on one of these and it's definitely one of the best. ggs  

Edited by stalltalk

Some cutting-edge analysis:

—17 of 31 players got in at least 6 games

17 of 63 pool games were decided by 7 or fewer points including one tie.

9 of 31 bracket games decided by 7 points or fewer

Thanks for the analysis.  These are the facts that I was happiest to see.  My general feeling was that this was the most competitive NYCTSBT ever, and this seems to bear that out (victory margins in previous years were much larger, and even though only 9 of 31 elimination games were within a touchdown, the margins in general weren't that great).  And I think getting in 5 games for everyone, with more than half the field playing six, is pretty darned good for a tournament, especially considering how smoothly and timely everything ran.

Final update here.  I've got all the data into the system from NYC2014, so northeasttecmo.com is chock-full of stats, videos, and other content - check it out!  

We're also going to be launching some new content soon ahead of Cuban Tecmo VII, so be sure to follow @NYTecmo and @TecmoLegacy on Twitter for notifications and other news on Tecmo in the Northeast.  

This is also available right on the landing page at our site, but if you're in the mood to watch all four-plus hours of game coverage from the tournament, here's the playlist.  We were fortunate to capture some TREMENDOUS games on our featured TV:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfZ7cPAIsI8&list=PLKBUMJ_7L8rYImsssmrWhX7NHrEUzBCa6