New York, NY - 10/04/14 - The New York Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament 2014

Way-Too-Early (And-Way-Too-Specific) Predictions:

Top 8 Seeds In Order (Group Winners, Double Bye)- 1) Lou, 2) Mort, 3) Teta, 4) Stalltalk, 5) Kevin S, 6) Arncoem, 7) Brian R, 8 ) DeGeorge

Seeds 9-16 In Order (Group Runners-Up, One Bye)- 9) David T, 10) Ed S, 11) Ryan K, 12) Derek T, 13) Scott S, 14) Ernie G, 15) Brad T, 16) Garrett K

Opening Round of Bracket: 17) Jon B over 32) Michael M, 24) Sean B over 25) Patrick G, 20) Mario L over 29) Joel L, 28) Michael W over 21) Matthew D, 19) Dennis H over 30) Chris D, 22) Ed M over 27) Josh N, 23) Matt B over 26) Chris B, 18) Patrick B over 31) Demian F.

Round of 24: 17) Jon B over 16) Garret K, 9) David T over 24) Sean B, 12) Derek T over 20) Mario L, 13) Scott S over 28 Michael W, 19) Dennis H over 14) Ernie G, 11) Ryan K over 22) Ed M, 10) Ed S over 23) Matt B, 18) Patrick B over 15) Brad T.

Round of 16: 1) Lou B over 17) Jon B, 8 ) DeGeorge over 9 David T, 5) Kevin S over 12) Derek T, 4) Shawn S over 13) Scott S, 3) Jim T over 19) Dennis H, 6) Arncoem over 11) Ryan K, 10) Ed S over 7) Brian R, 2) Mort over 18) Patrick B

Round of 8: 1) Lou over 8 ) Matty D, 5) Kevin S over 4) Stalltalk, 6) Arncoem over 3) Jim T, 10) Ed S over 2) Mort

Final 4: 1) Louis B over 5) Kevin S, 6) Arncoem over 10) Ed S

3rd Place: 5) Kevin S over 10) Ed S

Champion: 1) Lou over 6) Arncoem

Most anticipated matchup of pool play: Defending champion Matty D vs Ed S, who made the round of 32 in Madison this year (knocking off online legend Joey Gats in the process).

Most Difficult Group: Moon Group. Not only are Matty D and Ed S in this group, but NYC Tecmo stalwart Patrick B is a tough game against anyone.

= what in the wide world of tecmo is going on???? heres the deal...lol me=kiss of death.....i saw ickey woods dancing on a commercial in grocery store. I almost threw my troller at the tv. Figured thats a bad omen 4 me. Im used to playing the no respect card after having hearing about mort-this and that talk. So please edit your post. Ty Edited by red98sethuthut

Lou's had a great 2014 so far with a deep run in Madison and won Buffalo. He's coming in hot. Right now, he gets my nod and I'm sticking to it (*Note: May not stick to it, subject to change). 

As far as Brian going out in the Sweet 16? Deep field this year. 8-10 guys who would shock nobody if they won, another 6-10 guys who may not be capable of winning it all but could very easily pull off upsets against those first 8-10. Plus the general unknowns in a tourney. This should be a fun one.

Wow kierre man...talk about I guy who never goes to a tourney has no right to start monday morning qbing lol. I dont think noone outplayed me today. I just got unlucky plain and simple. Its bound to happen...isnt tecmo a fickle game guys. Congrats to DeGeorge. He played well too

Edited by red98sethuthut

Wow kierre man...talk about I guy who never goes to a tourney has no right to start monday morning qbing lol. I dont think noone outplayed me today. I just got unlucky plain and simple. Its bound to happen...isnt tecmo a fickle game guys. Congrats to DeGeorge. He played well too

Talk about someone who is salty they lost! I posted my comment, not even knowing that you lost. I posted that on the strength of Matt making the finals. He and I are friends outside of tecmo, I was just simply stating the obvious, as he kicks ass at live tourneys. The fact that he won just proves it even more.

Talk about someone who is salty they lost! I posted my comment, not even knowing that you lost. I posted that on the strength of Matt making the finals. He and I are friends outside of tecmo, I was just simply stating the obvious, as he kicks ass at live tourneys. The fact that he won just proves it even more.

so what..im a competitor and I wanted to win. Like mort said to me if your not a little upset after a tough loss then something is wrong. I may be more mad that the bottom of my beer mug broke (like a split fingered fastball ) as i held and it spilled all over me. Weirdest thing ive ever seen. I knew it was a bad omen from the tecmo gods. Im not going to post what happened on walk home to bus stop..ask mort lol about the 2 ladies Edited by red98sethuthut

I think we can all agree that Lou's beer mug was the biggest loser in the course of proceedings today, but I want to take a minute and share some thoughts and observations with those of you who participated or were watching.

* Matt D. became the first repeat champion in the history of the New York City Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament.  It's the second time he's gone undefeated in this event, and he has only two losses (against something like 21 wins) in the NETSBA era.

* I haven't had a chance to crunch the numbers yet (that will happen next week sometime) but at a glance around half of the games were decided by a touchdown or less.  From that, I'm thinking that this was the most competitive NYCTSBT we've ever had, and from being in the trenches playing, my gut feeling agrees with that as well.  

* This was the first year in which I had more wins (4) than beers (3) in the course of the day, and my 2 losses came at the hands of Buennagels.  I feel like this is all connected somehow...

* Brad T. went the deepest of any of the NYC crew at the event today.  We put on this event to have a good time with people from all over, but it's hard not to pull for the local boy.  Thanks for doing us proud, Brad.

* During group play, Tampa-Minnesota was called the most times of any matchup. Philadelphia was the most often-used team.

* The top 8 finishers at the NYCTSBT2014 were
    1. Matt D. (MattyD)

2. Erik M. (arncoem)

3. Jim T. (powerade)

4. Brad T. (BradT)

- Lou B. (red98sethuthut)

- Brian R. (chaosrison)

- David T. (DT)

- Ed S. (TechnicalDifficulty)

Congratulations to you all, it was a competitive day and if you make it deep in a field that good, you have a lot to be proud of.  The championship could have gone to any one of you.

* Christopher B. came up big in helping us stream two games at a time.  Follow him on Twitch - gandymangaming.

I had a great time with you all today.  Thanks for being part of an event that is really special to us.  

Things:

Thanks Matt B. & Brian R. for putting together another great tournament (and to the one girl who did the computer stuff-- I am sorry for confusing you since there was another Matt D in my group). I hope more people can attend for years to come. The venue is great, atmosphere is great. You guys have made this a really enjoyable tournament for all parties involved.

I gotta be honest, Teta had me on the ropes during this event. I thought I was done in the game. He really should have beaten me in the semi game. Hats off to Jim for a much improved showing.

In the final-- Webster Slaughter helped me out a lot. I played well enough to win, but I was definitely bailed out a couple times during the final. I give Erik M. (Merliss) tons of credit. He traveled down that day on his own to make the tournament. (Pete Dorsey--upset you couldn't make it man) Also, another good competitor Kevin S. (Tadaos) wasn't there. Two key competitive players for not only making the field more competitive, but also having them attend makes the "crew" completed.

This tournament I saw a lot of improvement from people. Brad who is a local I met the first time I attended a couple years ago---he did great. It was really fun to watch him. Great guy, too.

The game of the day for me was against Louis. It was really even. The only thing that made the difference was his missed field goal at the end of regulation. But, that could have definitely gone either way. He played awesome in the game. 

Miscellaneous thoughts:

-Mort is probably the man. He got there at 3 a.m. and walked around time square, and NYC until the tournament. After group play I remember talking to him while he was beginning to fall asleep. He has more balls than I will ever have.

- I saw Tampa Bay and Minnesota match-ups like literally 9 times throughout the day. 

- I am happy to have played Ryan Krebs for the first time. Great guy to talk to. 

Other than that-- I look forward to this tournament every year. It is at a great time of the year as well. Thanks again for the kind words from people, support, and all that stuff. 

Tecmo----what a  great game. 

Things:

Thanks Matt B. & Brian R. for putting together another great tournament (and to the one girl who did the computer stuff-- I am sorry for confusing you since there was another Matt D in my group). I hope more people can attend for years to come. The venue is great, atmosphere is great. You guys have made this a really enjoyable tournament for all parties involved.

I gotta be honest, Teta had me on the ropes during this event. I thought I was done in the game. He really should have beaten me in the semi game. Hats off to Jim for a much improved showing.

Proud to know the champ is so humble.  His groupie of middle aged men has probably grown exponentially but that comes @ winning back to back titles.  I know in life there are tough struggles, but there is always a shinning light with Tecmo.  

RE2PECT...

We made it back safely...lol what a fun time. Ty for brian r., ryan k. And matt bird (also does a great running the website at northeasttecmo.com ) for running a great tourney. Since mort was working in rochester the day b4 and his car broke down we had to bus it there. Mort got there at 3am I got there 6am..he met me around 7am. We drank like 7 coffees each, did some laundry..got some $10 breakfast and figured out of hiw to ride the train to astoria. We got to the tourney at 10 and met our fellow buffaloian d.t. who flew in. These days mort doesnt get to chance to play as many games due to his work schedule but it doesnt stop him from going to tournies. So my games in group started off badley down 3 to 16 on 4 to 5 fumbles with hilliard I rallied on 4th and 10 with 39 secs left on p.1. Playpass. Came back to win 17 to 16. I won next two handly...I played teta who called oak vs philly..shootout 14 to 14 my first possesion of half fred barnett drops a wide open pass on the 4th down. I eventually get the lead vs teta he drives down to my 18 ir so and hita a wide open pass to win the game. Before this at the bar...as said earlier my beer mug broke from the bottom of the mug as I held it over the bar. I knew it was badnomen from the tecmo gods. I get the 8 seed...I see mort lose on end to end c.c. to the local I beat in my group play at the end of the game. I get the double bye and play matt bird (the co founder of northeasttecmo.com) who nearly beat mort earlier..mhe called wash/minn..I get a pick earlier and never look back to win with.min.

This sets up the game with matty D. He seemed really down to earth and enjoyed talking to him earlier. Hes overcame some health issues. He calls phx/dallas.....he gets the ball drives to midfield and get a proehl jj 7 to 0 phx...dallas stalls out but gets 3...7 to 3 phx...I think I stop him 3 and out and behind emitting I get 10 to 7 lead at half. I get ball at half take a deep shot at irvin..but its picked as I got greedy. He gets ball and drives for 14 to 10 lead..dallas goes back to emmitt and scores a td with 3 mins left. 17 to 14...he geta down to my 20 but I call his pass plays...he does get a game tieing fg. I get about a min left...I get to the 49 opp but miss afg. He gets ball.in ot and gets a long jj to set up his game winning fg to win. ............................... Congrats to DeGeorge he was on fire and atleast I lost the champ also I tried to bet on you during (ryan k. Line on u) during ur championship game. Sucks seeing mort get jj but thats tecmo sometimes...teta played great too...perhaps why some many tb/minn calls..a lot guys dont know what to call...if a good game happens and the final score stays on ascreen for awhile a lot of people copy cat it (actually I wouldnt call that match). I think tetas buddy won qb eagles jersey too in the raffle...what a great time till next time....P.s. BeCareful walking in streets of nyc I almost got raped by 2 alleged women trying to find our bus stop.

Edited by red98sethuthut

Impressed that Ryan's predictions had me at #15 (then losing!?). Also, that exquisite comeback by red98sethuthut in group play came at my expense.

I'd like to thank Tecmo for fumble recoveries. I think I was +5 or 6 in that category—got very lucky vs Ed, Neal Anderson fumbled three times that game. Also my gameball goes to Marion Butts, who I rode for 434 yards in group play, then another 150 in the bracket. And, naturally, Arncoem beat me with about 17 Butts runs right through the middle. Also, against Mort and Arncoem I was down 10 and converted 4th downs—another thanks goes to Tecmo, I believe the conversion in the semis was Richard Johnson's greatest moment.

Last, I want to thank all my opponents for never selecting Washington, Minnesota, or the Rams. You're the real heros.

Here are some photos from the tournament.  I'll post my thoughts later, though these are some great recaps!  Thanks to everyone for participating, especially those who helped this thing run smoother than ever.

Photos are courtesy of Tony Le Photographyhttp://www.northeast...rk-city/photos/

untitled-181-55.jpg