Project: Tecmo NCAA

Knobbe

As many of you know, EA Sports is no longer producing a college game.

I believe this is an opportunity for Tecmo to fill this vacuum.

Here is what I am hoping to accomplish at the end of the day: Create a custom downloadable rom that will allow you to choose 28-32 college teams with generic graphics on the fly made up from rosters/attributes of the 100+ teams already mapped out for NCAA 14.  A one-off could be a release with graphics for certain teams, probably with a previously designed college rom for the sake of speed.

Here are the parts that make up what I'm looking to do

- Create/implement a standard for converting raw EA Sports NCAA '14 Data into Tecmo Super Bowl attributes - see this thread

- Create a web app that allows you to specify the teams desired on one rom

- have a generic rom that the above is merged into

A sort of on-the-fly rom generator like this has all sorts of other applications (applying hacks, graphics, other teams/attributes, etc) but let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Please let me know if you can/would like to help on this.

team selection for on-the-fly (otf) rom generation does not seem too difficult.  however it appears as thought the scope of this project would require more or less a rewrite of my current rom generator.  not saying that's a bad thing...

the cool side effect of this project (if it works for 32 team) would be the team renamer, that goes in and sets all the pointers for the team names.  I've always done this by hand and it takes too long.

• 3 weeks later...

Creating the list of rosters has been taunting, but I'm approximately 50% of the way from converting NCAA 14 rosters into Tecmo teams.

Sim: I think someone has a sim spreadsheet/formula calculator deal out there. If someone wanted to link that up, it would be appreciated.

Uniforms: If someone could link up or else compile a list of school colors, that would be nice. I'd plan to just flip colors for alternate jerseys and figure out how the jersey matrix in the game works.

Playbooks: I'd take suggestions for playbook generating strategies but will probably just leave them randomly assigned

Teams: Haven't explored the team sim numbers nor the run/pass ratio yet

Also, if there were certain existing college roms that have teams/etc out there that people want hooked up with current rosters, link those as well.

I don't know if you're using the tsb General Manager as your base, but it would be really cool to be able to A) created additional players that don't show up on the rom and then click to move them into a space like that application does and B) be able to match up the uniform combinations in a way that's vision also.

I don't know if you're using the tsb General Manager as your base, but it would be really cool to be able to A) created additional players that don't show up on the rom and then click to move them into a space like that application does 

An end goal is to be able to swap in teams and download a rom

be able to match up the uniform combinations in a way that's vision also.

If I'm doing this for all college teams it would be my goal to have that hard coded per team, not editable in that particular interface.

I've got my own college ROM in the slow cooker. Can we play doctor and I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

Sure. I'm going to struggle to get anything out before college football starts though

Can you make Marshall? Im goin there next year and nobody makes them in current NCAA ROMS.

There won't be graphics for Marshall but if this is completed, they will be an option

By the way, I know A LOT about college football, IDK if you still need any help and suggestions on logos, uniforms, and rosters but if so I'm here man.

By the way, I know A LOT about college football, IDK if you still need any help and suggestions on logos, uniforms, and rosters but if so I'm here man.

I need help with uniform colors.

For each school I need to know colors...jersey colors are more important than Champs colors.

15372bacf5.png

The biggest thing would be for two schools to play each other and the uniforms be different enough for them to be able to differentiate between the two teams when playing.

Thus, each school would need a two uniforms where the jersey and pants numbers are different. 

Determine the two colors to be used for a school. Uniform 1 will use one color for pants/helmet and one for jersey. Uniform 2 will use these colors in inverse.

Let me know if you're up for this and I'll make you a formatted spreadsheet for inputting the information

Would the game be somewhat like this?

Oh you might not know some of the players bc theyre unique to my custom MLF rom.

Ex. Im Marshalls starting QB

I don't have on having any helmet designs unless someone is supplying a rom like this.

There'd be no logos????

I'm trying to build rosters for 131 teams and set it up so that you can generate which 32 teams you want on a rom.

Trying to supply logos and graphics for teams like that on the fly would be infinitely difficult and something I never plan to do.

However, if there is a rom with team graphcis someone has already created it wouldn't be difficult to put the teams on that rom.

I can probably do some of the more simple logos and you can just import the more complex logos using a hex editor

I don't think you appreciate the complexity of programatically drawing 32 of 130 logos.

At best I could turn on some helmets for popular teams.  That would be at the bottom of my list as it has 0 impact on game play.

No I do but i was just saying that it wouldnt be the same. I understand that that task is too tall for one man but all you have to do is ask some of us for help. I think that if all of the graphic editors took on the helmet piece together it might be possible