Sim Season Result Questions

SirTed

Has anyone kept record of multiple sim seasons, league leaders, division standings, etc?

I'm curious -

Who most often leads the league in rushing / pass eff / receiving. Maybe the answers are obvious, but I'd like to see some kind of database.

Which teams win their divisions most often?

Which division suffers from the most parity?

Anyone have these answers?

Are you aware that we know the sim attributes for all players/teams?

Just so I understand - Are you suggesting that because we know the stats for each player, (and by extension each team) therefore we know sim results?

Or are you referring to something else? I am lost.

I figured that although it's possible that Joe Montana always leads the league in passing, and Bo rushing, etc etc that there would be some surprises. Just thought it would be cool to see the results of like 50+ seasons laid out. I'm sure I could do this myself - if it hasn't already been done.

Just so I understand - Are you suggesting that because we know the stats for each player, (and by extension each team) therefore we know sim results?

Or are you referring to something else? I am lost.

I figured that although it's possible that Joe Montana always leads the league in passing, and Bo rushing, etc etc that there would be some surprises. Just thought it would be cool to see the results of like 50+ seasons laid out. I'm sure I could do this myself - if it hasn't already been done.

Ah, ok.

So, Tecmo has an engine that it uses specifically for simming games.  

These attributes cannot be seen in the game.

They're also the reason that if you sim seasons using a HSTL rom you'll find that the 49ers, Giants, etc are still good and the Patriots and Colts suck regardless of the teams being normalized.

Other things will effect the output such as playbooks.  I don't recall if attributes play a role but I don't believe so.

I'll attach the sim stats later.

Here is a link to a sim editor that will work with any 28 team rom - http://emuware.com/files/?tsbsim.zip

Here is how this breaks down

# TEAM:

#  name, SimData  0x<offense><defense><offense preference>

#  Offensive pref values 0-3. 

#     0 = Little more rushing, 1 = Heavy Rushing,

#     2 = little more passing, 3 = Heavy Passing.

This is on a scale from 0-F in Hex (0-15 in Dec)

# -- Quarterbacks:

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP, PS, PC, PA, APB, [sim rush, Sim pass, Sim Pocket].

# -- Offensive Skill players (non-QB):

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP, BC, REC, [sim rush, Sim catch, Sim punt Ret, Sim kick ret].

# -- Offensive Linemen:

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP

# -- Defensive Players:

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP, PI, QU, [sim pass rush, Sim coverage].

# -- Punters and Kickers:

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP, KA, AKB,[ Sim kicking ability].

Examples

bills SimData=0xab0 - Bills have A for Offense, B for Defense, 0 for Offensive preference

colts SimData=0x242 - Colts have 2 for Offense, 4  for Defense, 2 for Offensive Preference

QB

QB1, phil SIMMS, Face=0x34, #11, 25, 69, 13, 13, 50, 63, 63, 81 ,[2, 10, 3 ] - 2 for Rushing, 10 for passing, 3 for Pocket

Here is the text file that shows player data plus sim data.  All the sim data is in brackets.

Here are some of the leaders. 

I've also attached a sortable Excel Sheet with Heat Maps of the ranges of attributes

Team Offense  (Scale of 0-15)

49ers - 15

Eagles - 14

Giants -13

Patriots - 0

Team Defense  (Scale of 0-15)

49ers - 15

Steelers - 14

Dolphins - 12

Raiders - 12

Vikings - 12

Falcons - 0

Sim Passing  (Scale of 0-15)

Joe Montana - 12

QB Bills - 12

Warren Moon - 11

The only guy with a value of 1? Mark Vlasic

Sim Rushing  (Scale of 0-15)

Bo Jackson - 12

Barry Sanders - 12

Next highest RBs are at 10

The only RBs with a value of 1 are the WRs in at RB - Roy Green, Aubrey Matthews, Michael Haynes, Ernest Givens, Ricky Sanders

The top Receptions for a RB is 10 for Earnest Givins, who is a WR

The top Recpetions for actual running backs are 9 for Tom Rathman and Keith Byars

Sim Receptions - WR  (Scale of 0-15)

Jerry Rice - 11

Henry Ellard - 11

John Taylor - 11

Three WRs also top out in Rushing at 6 (Henry Ellard, John Taylor, and Gary Clark)

Sim Receptions - TE  (Scale of 0-15)

Brent Jones - 9

Jim Jensen - 9 (Ferrell Edmunds is a 6 so you'll get more stats out of the TE position rolling with Jensen)

Sim Punt Returns (Scale of 0-15)

Sam Grady - 13

Don Beebe - 13

Willie Anderson - 13

Stephen Baker - 13

Jerry Rice - 13

Willie Gault - 13

Mark Ingram - 13

James Lofton - 13

Fred Barnett - 13

The worst two punt returners in the game during sim are on the Colts

Ivy Joe Hunter - 2

Ken Clark - 2

Sim Kick Returns (Scale of 0-15)

Jerry Rice - 14 !!!!

John L Williams - 12

Keith Byars -12

Eric Martin -12

Sterling Sharpe -12

Andre Rison - 12

Anthony Miller -12

A ton of people have a value of 0 including Johnny Bailey, Christian Okoye, and Bo Jackson

BTW, noted triple starter David Meggett has Sim Rush-7, Sim Catch-6, Punt Ret-8, Kick Ret-6

Sim Pass Rush (Scale of 0-255)

Derrick Thomas - 137

Charles Haley - 122

James Francis - 117

Bruce Smith - 116

Lawrence Taylor - 115

Sim Coverage (Scale of 0-255)

Gill Byrd - 128

Martin Mayhew - 115

Dayve Waymer - 115

Richard Johnson - 111

Mark Carrier - 102

Bobby Humphrey - 102

Kevin Ross - 102

Joey Browner - 102

Vince Newsome - 102

The most worthless defender is Eric Dorsey with Sim Rush-2 and Sim Coverage-0

Sim Kick (Scale of 0-15)

Nick Lowery - 12

Pretty much follows along with Kicking Ability

Sim Punt (Scale of 0-15)

Mike Horan - 12

Sean Landeta - 12

Pretty much follows along with Punting Ability

tsbroster.txt

TSBRatingsHeatMap.xlsx

Here is how this breaks down

# TEAM:

#  name, SimData  0x<offense><defense><offense preference>

#  Offensive pref values 0-3. 

#     0 = Little more rushing, 1 = Heavy Rushing,

#     2 = little more passing, 3 = Heavy Passing.

This is on a scale from 0-F in Hex (0-15 in Dec)

# -- Quarterbacks:

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP, PS, PC, PA, APB, [sim rush, Sim pass, Sim Pocket].

# -- Offensive Skill players (non-QB):

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP, BC, REC, [sim rush, Sim catch, Sim punt Ret, Sim kick ret].

# -- Offensive Linemen:

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP

# -- Defensive Players:

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP, PI, QU, [sim pass rush, Sim coverage].

# -- Punters and Kickers:

# Position, First name Last name, FaceID, Jersey number, RS, RP, MS, HP, KA, AKB,[ Sim kicking ability].

Examples

bills SimData=0xab0 - Bills have A for Offense, B for Defense, 0 for Offensive preference

colts SimData=0x242 - Colts have 2 for Offense, 4  for Defense, 2 for Offensive Preference

QB

QB1, phil SIMMS, Face=0x34, #11, 25, 69, 13, 13, 50, 63, 63, 81 ,[2, 10, 3 ] - 2 for Rushing, 10 for passing, 3 for Pocket

Here is the text file that shows player data plus sim data.  All the sim data is in brackets.

Here are some of the leaders. 

I've also attached a sortable Excel Sheet with Heat Maps of the ranges of attributes

Team Offense  (Scale of 0-15)

49ers - 15

Eagles - 14

Giants -13

Patriots - 0

Team Defense  (Scale of 0-15)

49ers - 15

Steelers - 14

Dolphins - 12

Raiders - 12

Vikings - 12

Falcons - 0

Sim Passing  (Scale of 0-15)

Joe Montana - 12

QB Bills - 12

Warren Moon - 11

The only guy with a value of 1? Mark Vlasic

Sim Rushing  (Scale of 0-15)

Bo Jackson - 12

Barry Sanders - 12

Next highest RBs are at 10

The only RBs with a value of 1 are the WRs in at RB - Roy Green, Aubrey Matthews, Michael Haynes, Ernest Givens, Ricky Sanders

The top Receptions for a RB is 10 for Earnest Givins, who is a WR

The top Recpetions for actual running backs are 9 for Tom Rathman and Keith Byars

Sim Receptions - WR  (Scale of 0-15)

Jerry Rice - 11

Henry Ellard - 11

John Taylor - 11

Three WRs also top out in Rushing at 6 (Henry Ellard, John Taylor, and Gary Clark)

Sim Receptions - TE  (Scale of 0-15)

Brent Jones - 9

Jim Jensen - 9 (Ferrell Edmunds is a 6 so you'll get more stats out of the TE position rolling with Jensen)

Sim Punt Returns (Scale of 0-15)

Sam Grady - 13

Don Beebe - 13

Willie Anderson - 13

Stephen Baker - 13

Jerry Rice - 13

Willie Gault - 13

Mark Ingram - 13

James Lofton - 13

Fred Barnett - 13

The worst two punt returners in the game during sim are on the Colts

Ivy Joe Hunter - 2

Ken Clark - 2

Sim Kick Returns (Scale of 0-15)

Jerry Rice - 14 !!!!

John L Williams - 12

Keith Byars -12

Eric Martin -12

Sterling Sharpe -12

Andre Rison - 12

Anthony Miller -12

A ton of people have a value of 0 including Johnny Bailey, Christian Okoye, and Bo Jackson

BTW, noted triple starter David Meggett has Sim Rush-7, Sim Catch-6, Punt Ret-8, Kick Ret-6

Sim Pass Rush (Scale of 0-255)

Derrick Thomas - 137

Charles Haley - 122

James Francis - 117

Bruce Smith - 116

Lawrence Taylor - 115

Sim Coverage (Scale of 0-255)

Gill Byrd - 128

Martin Mayhew - 115

Dayve Waymer - 115

Richard Johnson - 111

Mark Carrier - 102

Bobby Humphrey - 102

Kevin Ross - 102

Joey Browner - 102

Vince Newsome - 102

The most worthless defender is Eric Dorsey with Sim Rush-2 and Sim Coverage-0

Sim Kick (Scale of 0-15)

Nick Lowery - 12

Pretty much follows along with Kicking Ability

Sim Punt (Scale of 0-15)

Mike Horan - 12

Sean Landeta - 12

Pretty much follows along with Punting Ability

excellent post, but there are some other revelations regarding sim data here. http://tecmobowl.org/topic/10512-applying-sim-data/?view=findpost&p=369276&hl=%2Bapplying+%2Bsim

notably the TE and what is improperly assumed as KR and PR SIM.  In fact, these have to do with Rushing and Receiving, not KR or PR.

I remember doing this a few years ago to understand how the team and player sim values worked with each other - think it was 10+ seasons of data.  Unfortunately, I didn't document the results and can't seem to find the spreadsheet.  If I do, I'll definitely post it.

In addition to team and player sim values... number of run plays were a significant factor for RBs (Bo only has 2) and I would assume pass play selection plays a role for receptions, given the QB priority in each play.

If you test this, I recommend using FCEUX on turbo speed.  Seasons can be simmed in a matter of minutes.  Or just hold the TAB key for about 90 seconds and you're done.

EDIT:  it takes 20 seconds per season using FCEUX on turbo.

Edited by Bodom

excellent post, but there are some other revelations regarding sim data here. http://tecmobowl.org/topic/10512-applying-sim-data/?view=findpost&p=369276&hl=%2Bapplying+%2Bsim

notably the TE and what is improperly assumed as KR and PR SIM.  In fact, these have to do with Rushing and Receiving, not KR or PR.

Thanks for that..I think I somehow missed that post over time.

I'll need to re-write my original post in the near future.

The one thing I didn't understand from that post was whether there were attributes for determining punt/kickoff return stats or how that is determined

this is how Jstout sums it up...

For those that want to change the sim values, the individual sim values are:
QB SIM:
Rushing Ability, Passing Ability, Pocket Tendency
RB/WR/TE SIM:
Rushing Ability, Receiving Ability, Receiving Yardage, Receiving Target
DL/LB/DB SIM:
Sack, Interception
K/P SIM:
Kicking Ability

*Passing and Receiving Ability work together in deciding a reception, incompletion, or interception on the play.

*Both Punt and Kick Return Sim values are incorrectly found by Tecmo's code as it doesn't get the sim for the KR or PR player (I'm able to write something though to make it work right). The value was supposed to be either Rushing Ability or Receiving Yardage.

and again, the TE isn't even included in the SIM calculations, unless you do the "05 fix".

this is how Jstout sums it up...

*Both Punt and Kick Return Sim values are incorrectly found by Tecmo's code as it doesn't get the sim for the KR or PR player (I'm able to write something though to make it work right). The value was supposed to be either Rushing Ability or Receiving Yardage.

In other words, Jstout has determined that the KR/PR sim values are fed from somewhere but doesn't specify where.  Is that your understanding?