Tecmo Cards

I've met Tony Gonzalez once when i was in middle school. He's a pretty awesome guy so i hope you get your card back signed from him

Thank you, I hope so too.  I did get his in the early 2000s, so if I don't this time it's not a big deal.  I sent it to the Falcons around the time of his retirement, so I don't know if it ever got to him.  Same problem with Ray Lewis.

I grew up here in KC, but I ended up living in Tony's hometown of Huntington Beach for 7 years, and I used to drive by his high school all the time.  (I still miss Del Taco!)

• 1 month later...

Well, I got my RG3 card back a few days ago - unsigned.  It also included a form letter inviting me to join his fanclub.  I know he's busy updating his résumé, removing Subway from his references, etc, but you'd think a waning QB might take the time.  As it stands, Janikowski and Megatron are stars, and RG3 and Andrew Luck are bums.  #sourgrapes

@Hut I had similar luck back in the early 90's.  I sent cards to Mitch Richmond, Charles Oakley, and Kevin Willis to have signed.  The card to Charles Oakley also included a Skybox NY Knicks team card/checklist to have the team sign.  My theory in the Oakley card was that it would be easier to get Oakley to sign something than my childhood hero at the time, Patrick Ewing, based on potential autograph requests.  Basically, I figured that Charles Oakley got less requests than Ewing, so he was more likely to sign my cards.

Well, I never heard back Mitch Richmond and Kevin Willis.  I had the Oakley cards returned, unsigned.  However, I was sent a collection of 5x7 postcards that included:  a team picture, Charles Oakley, Greg Anthony, Charles Smith, and Pat Riley.  I also received some bumper stickers, and a form to join the fan club.

Autographs have become a business, and atheletes have become celebrities.  I think the card industry has sucked a lot of the innocence or purity out of things.  The gap between athlete and fan has widened.  But I guess that means that when you actually do get something back, it's that much more special.  Also, I aimed this first set of cards pretty darn high.  All of them were stars.  Next time I'm going to aim more towards the every day players.  And you never know, that might be a star of the future.  I got Favre's in '92, never knowing that he'd end up being who he became.

• 7 months later...

2016 marks the 25th anniversary of TSB.  I want to mark the occasion by making a set of Tecmo cards including players throughout the history of the league - stars from the early years of the NFL, the TSB era, and today's stars.  I think it would also be fun to include special cards that commemorate famous moments and plays in NFL history.  That could be career milestones, broken records and famous plays.  I would really appreciate input from everybody about what players and moments you think are card-worthy.  I'm going to start with the great Jim Thorpe and go from there.  This will be an ongoing project, which I plan to have done at some point in 2016.  When it's done, I will post the files here for anyone who would like to print them.  They look pretty nice on card stock.

Any input is really appreciated. 

70d485f78b98c2bda01e5c78450785fc.jpg

Best image i could find of him as a player. Back in those days he played end on offense and defense. During the 1923 season he set the fumble return record against Jim Thorpe and the Oorang Indians. Ran it back 98 yards while zigging and zagging away from Thorpe, who tried to legwhip him.  the record stood for 49 years, when the Assassin Jack Tatum broke it with an 104 yard return.

Edited by TecmoSuperFan