Hyphens & Apostrophes in Names

Has anyone ever looked into the ability to use hyphens and apostrophes in the player names?  It's of minimal importance, but names like D'Quell Jackson just look stupid to me whether I use a period or nothing in place of the apostrophe.  When I use periods, half the time the editor doesn't understand which is the first and last names.  I've noticed the hyphen works on some screens, but doesn't look quite right on others.  If someone knows something, please share.  Thanks.

Your two best alternatives to the period would be hyphen and comma.

Semi-Colon (;) = Hyphen (-)

Forward-Slash(\) = Comma (,)

8M06d.png

The other thing you could do is hack in your own apostrophe though I don't know if there is room to do so.

All of the letters map back to images. The programmers were nice enough to put the letters in the same locations as the hex.  If you look at the following below, the Hex values for Letters and Numbers match up with their locations in the Pattern Table for the screen.

8M0e4.png  ascii-table.jpg

If the top left corner of the Pattern table is 00 and the bottom right corner is FF, you'll notice that the letter P is at location 50, which corresponds to the Hex Value of P in the Hex-Char lookup table.

Thus, if you wanted to type ' in an editor and have it show up that way, you'd put a drawing of ' in tile 27. Tile 27 is the one with a > in it to the right of the multi-colored TDOWN. I don't know of the top of my head what this would break.

• 4 weeks later...

; or \ doesn't seem to work. at all.

I don't believe you can use tiles in that row of numbers and symbols in names.  

Edited by buck

; or \ doesn't seem to work. at all.

I don't believe you can use tiles in that row of numbers and symbols in names.  

I didn't try this out in any editing program...this was straight hex edit

I'm not talking about editors either.  I wasn't able to pull it off in FCEUX hex editor.  I am talking about the game pulling the right tiles.  Instead of displaying the "-" for example, it was displaying one of the star tiles.

I'm not talking about editors either.  I wasn't able to pull it off in FCEUX hex editor.  I am talking about the game pulling the right tiles.  Instead of displaying the "-" for example, it was displaying one of the star tiles.

You need to type in ; to get -

9ca7dcd6e6.png

11d4291834.png

dude, I know how to call up the tile (it's 3B).  still not working for me.  it is pulling up a star.

post-5602-0-98086800-1402685367_thumb.pn

post-5602-0-60083700-1402685782_thumb.pn

are you actually editing the ROM file or are you just messing with memory or something (of which there would be no real point)?

Edited by buck

nope, neither of those (unless the tb.org 2014 rom is racist, see screenshot).  he is messing with PPU memory instead of the rom.  try the the right way and see.

Edited by buck

A decent alternative would be to hack the "40" © copyright tile into an apostrophe.  but that would cause other things that would need to be fixed after that.  but how often does the © show up?

Edited by buck

A decent alternative would be to hack the "40" © copyright tile into an apostrophe.  but that would cause other things that would need to be fixed after that.  but how often does the © show up?

You could do that but it would still show up wrong on the player attribute screen since a different tile set is used there and the 40 tile is something different.  

You could do that but it would still show up wrong on the player attribute screen since a different tile set is used there and the 40 tile is something different.  

that's right, I was initially looking at that 5F tile and thought it was ©.  but its kind of a circle thing, can't recall what that is.  

edit, 5F wont' work either

man, the starting roster screen won't display anything but letters!  that is the real check for compatibility.

Edited by buck