Team sim?

Martin

I have always rated team sim on a scale based on Pro Football Reference.com's Simple Ratings System (SRS). Lately i decided to figure out exactly what team sim does, and how it effect other sim values.

I set all teams to 0,0 and season stats like yards/rush and comp%, etc. got higher. Then I set all teams to 0,15 expecting much lower avg. yards, more sacks and ints, etc. due to the boosted defense sim, but compared to my base rom team and player totals was much higher (and no, I didn't boost offense by accident). The league total TD leader had almost 50% more TDs then usual, for instance.

So...my question is: Anyone here who knows what the team sim values really do, and how they effect player sim?

I'm not really a hacking guru so I can't answer definitively (I don't know how to load roms and watch changes in code as the game plays, for instance), but I believe Team Sim only affects team stats. Total yards on offense and defense, and W-L records might be the only things affected. Individual sim stats and playbooks are what affects individual stats.

I use PFR's SRS as well, but I also factor in regular season and playoff records. For instance, I'm currently doing a 2002 rom. KC had the best offense in the league but finished 8-8. Instead of getting 15 for Team Offense they ended up with 11. 

Setting all teams to 0-offense and 15-defense should result on low scoring games, with less yardage. But compared to my base rom where team sim is set based on SRS, that supposed "defense heavy" sim resulted on more points, yardage (both team and individual) than usual, with no noticable difference in sacks or ints.

I had a lot of theories, for example: that team defense sim affected total sacks and ints. Or that team offense sim somehow affected the amount of plays attempted. Or that that it affected player sim (that 5 rush sim was "worth" more on a team with 10-offfense than 5-offense), and so on...

But I'm struggling to see any (logical) impact whatsoever. The thing that seems to matter the most is player sim.