TECMO X: BRUDDOG's RETROSPECTIVE

bruddog

Thursday:  Didn't sleep much the night before because I always have to spend hours cleaning my place before going on a long trip. It's weird. Struck a convo with the guy next to me on the plane for a bit who looked strangely similar to dave murray sans beard. I told him where I was going and what I was doing and told me he had heard of the tourney on Deadspin and told me he used to play in a madden league at his local bar. 

Got into Madison at around 4:30. My bag already waiting for me off to the side.That was a FIRST for me. Tried the spotted cow and talked to a few locals as I mentioned in another post. They were amazed to hear of a tecmo super bowl tourney. We talked some NFL and about the local breweries around. I thought the spotted cow was just OK and grabbed a 7 & 7. Feeling pretty tried at that point and knowing that murray nor anyone else was do in for hours I went to the super 8 and crashed out for 3 hrs. Woke up and Murray was still en route and watched the Spurs beat the Heat. Finally Dave arrives pretty late and is as good/cool of a dude in person as I expected. As he mentioned his wife forgot to pack his pants so he was walking around in shorts. But hey I saw a few girls walking around in skirts so if they could do it...um but no 5 degrees is REALLY COLD when you are used to 60 at night. LOL.  The first place we stopped at had no food so we both got a few IPA's. At one point I see my terrible Lakers had gone from up 10 to down 40. Oof. After finishing my beer I tried the vanilla porter which was excellent and then we went in search of the place the bartender had recommended. As Dave mentioned we found the Natt Spiel and found a VERY close parking spot. We were seated by the dJ who was spinning some old school rap and some techno stuff if i remember right. It did look kind of like a date place. The pork sandwich did hit the spot. Had to take a piss at one point there was this odd picture hanging in the bathroom. Kinda made me a little uneasy. LOL

post-4675-0-12167800-1394567471_thumb.jp

We headed back to the Super 8 as Manyo had been messaging us about some games. Dave wasn't feeling well and he headed off to bed. 

Headed down to Manyo's room with my Bose and a nice big bottle of hop therapy IPA from Cali. Manyo had a couple pages of tecmo numbers(rosters) as well his little black book or in this case green book of tecmo. He had some Dre playing already so no need for the Bose.

He had the blue luigi sweatshirt on then as well I believe and I was rocking my P.Willis 49ers t-shirt. We got 3 games in and I think I won one handily and he won the next one. And I won the rubber match I believe. Feeling tired it was time for a nice beer induced sleep

Friday:  After a nice beer induced sleep I was tasked with find a breakfast spot for the day. Being a fan or a good breakfast on vacation I thought with the help of YELP I had found a good spot. After grabbing Manyo, we rolled downtown to where this place was. It was closed. 

What I didn't mention at the time to Dave and Manyo was that I had read it was only open weekends. But my brain not realizing it was Friday and thus not the weekend... screwed that one up. We found another spot. Manyo was all but done with his breakfast before we got ours me and my heaping pile of sugar...chocholate mocha and french toast with whip cream and strawberry. Coco showed up and Manyo headed off with him as he was done and we were still eating. 

We head back to Super 8 and room 134 and I think I got a contact high upon walking into the room where Coco and Manyo were there with the nintendo on. No worries its all good guys. I got 3 more games in and went 2-1. I think I won 2 handily and then Coco beat me soundly in a CIN vs KC matchup where the tapping was a big problem as CIN. Coco was another guy I had to add to the list of guys I likely wasn't going to win a tap against using the nes controllers. 

Matt and his buddy Joel show up and it's off to Carbon 4 for some beer. Got a flight of 5 beers. The fantasy factory IPA and coffee stout were my favorties. I did not like the dark IPA at all ad gave it to Dave. Good times shooting the shit about beer and various things. Dave gets a text

from Chet about heading to Badger Bowl to help set up so we finish up our beers and all decided to head over there. Making a last stop at Super 8 we ran into a couple tecmoers who had made the trek to Madison. I forget their names but good guys. 

Walk into Badger Bowl and behold the Madison X crew setting up shop for tomorrow and witness TV upon TV with COM tecmo games playing on most of the screens

... to be continued. 

If you are referring to the guy in gym shorts and a Browns jacket that would be myself and Woodshed. I gave the International Tecmo hand gesture of "air tapping" a controller and knew right away that you, Dave, and Knobbe were there for the same reason. Awesome meeting the Bruddog, who's Brudopia I used for years and still do when not playing on the NES. Also Dave and the Godfather, couldn't do better in the first 5 minutes of Madison than meeting that group of guys, just awesome!

Edited by JimSocks13