Tampa Bay Defensive Only Challenge

CheapCatch

I am trying Eric's defensive only challenge

I posted in another thread that I lost 10-3 to the Eagles in the opening week, with Husted going 1/3.

In week 2 I was actually winning with one minute left before Leroy Hoard one on one against me (Everett) catches a deep pass at the one yard line, diving as he does so, and then proceeds to break my tackle for the go ahead score.

TAM records its first INT of the season, but it was in CLEs end, so no points off of that.

I lose 10-8.

One thing:  I actually should have won this game 13-10, but due to the classic fumble glitch I only received a safety on a return when it should have been a TD, and that ended up being the difference in the game.  I knew the fumble glitch was coming, but I really felt like I needed to take any kind of points, so I opted for the safety instead of gambling and giving the CPU the ball at the one that would have set up like 3rd and a mile. 

Edited by CheapCatch

Week 3

Unlike the first two weeks I never really had a chance to win this game.

After Nickerson's INT on the first play of the game, which was followed by yet another Husted missed FG (dude is terrible), I never had a chance.  CHI scored two early TDs and then from about mid 2nd Q on it was a trading of FGs, as I lose 17-3.

One thing I have noticed through three weeks is how bad TAMs punt coverage is.  I'd say on average teams get 20 yards per return, so it pretty much negates any good punt I get.

This is quite the challenge....

Wk 4 v WAS

Plenty of opps. early, but Husted going 2/5 hurt, especially when all three misses were short misses- meaning short, as in the ball landed in the end zone aka didn't even make it to the goal posts.  Apparently I should have researched the teams before choosing one with a terrible kicker.

Anyway, lots of turnovers for WAS but there were the three missed FGs and any other turnover wasn't in position for a score.

27-6 is the final.

I am officially changing this from the Defense Only Challenge to the Mission Just About Impossible challenge.

Try to be more relaxed on FG attempts.  Unlike MAN vs MAN, COM doesn't often get early pressure, so you have time to point the arrow where you want it.  Even if you do get pressured, still try to kick it where you want it.  The chances are you will not be blocked.

You will get better and better.  Washington is pretty tough in this challenge, so don't sweat that.

If you want better punt coverage, then swap in higher HP guys at RB and WR.  Or am I thinking of kickoffs?

Yeah, I am getting good punts off and pinning them a lot, but as I mentioned before, TAM for some reason has terrible punt coverage, so almost every time the other team gets about 20 yards off of a return.  One thing I noticed is that the first guys down the field covering punts are super slow getting to the returner, and often the returner breaks the first tackle by the CPU.  Thanks for the advice on coverage Eric.  I try something out b/c something needs doin'!  I'll get into long stalemates with the other team in terms of forcing them to punt and having to punt back to them.  This will often go on for over a quarter before they score. 

*Here is an example from a game I just started with CAR:  They kick a FG the first time they have the ball, so once a team scores it can be difficult to flip the field position back.  They kickoff and my guy catches it at the 2.  I call a fair catch, and punt from my EZ.  Roby booms a 60 yarder plus, but due to CPU v CPU broken tackles Baldwin rets. it 24 yards, so CAR again starts in my zone.  I back them up and they punt again, but the punt lands at the 2 once more.  So I punt from my own EZ again, getting off another kick around 60 yards.  After the return CAR starts at like my own 45 or so. 

I just caught this:  It is mandatory to rush the QB (or rush in) every play?

As far as FG kicking goes:  these kicks look good, as far as placement goes.  I just looked up Husted in Ray's Book of Armaments, and he's the second lowest rated kicker, with 25 KP and 31 KA.  Having a good kicker helps obviously with this challenge, and this guy does me no favors.  Last game a kick from the 40 yard line was short. 

Also, embarrassingly WAS blocked one of my punts and returned it for a TD....ouch! 

Meanwhile I have blocked a ton of kicks through 4 weeks, but most have not translated into points.

Let me make sure I have the major scoring rules covered as well.

The only way for me to score is:

1) by returning a fumble for a TD

2) by returning a blocked kick for a TD

3) by returning an INT for a TD

4) safety

5) recovering a fumble, getting an INT, or blocking a kick and getting tackled in FG range

6) stopping a team on downs on your side of the field, so you are in FG range.

Edited by CheapCatch

Cheap's doing better than me.  I had started to try this challenge with our TLL 1979 Seahawks, but it was ridiculously difficult - we made them even worse than the TSB III Jets defense, and the team has such low HP (nobody beyond the DL even has 50), the drones are absolutely no help.  I got through like three games, and I was getting creamed. 

I think I'm gonna give it a shot on TSB III with a little better team.  It wasn't just the Seahawks - this challenge is MUCH harder than I thought it would be.  Cheap has the right idea, I think - TAM certainly isn't the Steelers, but they're not the NYJ either.  They're somewhere in the middle third of the league defensively.

I'm thinking Minnesota.  My rankings put them right smack in the middle of the pack on D, and even position-by-position, the whole defense is, well, pretty freakin average.  Decent DL with no tremendously bright stars, same at LB and DB.  John Randle is their best player, I guess, so the strategy may be to audible him to MLB out of the goalline and try to shoot the gap from there. The one problem is Mike Saxon - they don't come really any worse than him.  Is it possible to succeed in this challenge with such a liability in the exchange of field position?  We shall see...

yes indeed, Matt.  This challenge is definitely more difficult than I anticipated.  One thing that makes it hard is that you have to be patient.  The games go by slowly (and are tedious at times), so it is easy to lose concentration.  Opportunities seem to come out of nowhere, and sometimes there are long periods when you are just exchanging punts with the CPU.  

I am thinking about starting the challenge over with a team that has a decent kicker. 

Wk 5 v CAR

The Buckles notch their first win of the season, as they defeat the Panthers 17-10.

Husted went 2/2 in this game.  The scoring began when Michael McGruder took an INT 50 yds for a score.  Hardy Nickerson then added a blocked punt safety, and then later another safety.

Edited by CheapCatch

Wk 6 v CIN

****The speed glitch was actually present in this game, which is the first time I have ever experienced it.  I played around with it a bit, and then reset for the real game.

TAM wins its second straight.  Up 10-6 late, and with CIN driving, McGruder intercepts a Blake pass, and takes it the distance for the pick 6.

17-6 is the final score.  Tampa Bay is now 2-4.

They are.  It can be somewhat nerve wrecking trying to take it to the house, knowing if you don't get to the EZ, you'll have to go for a FG attempt.  Well, my first goal is to get into FG range, but once it starts to break open I want nothing but the house....

Wk 7 v MIN

I began the game undisciplined, and it cost me, as MIN goes deep and scores.  6-0 (as I blocked the XPT).

It thus took me about 1Q to flip the field position in my favor, but still through 3Q I had zero scoring oppts.

Nickerson blocked a punt in the 2Q, but it was at around midfield and MIN recovered, so I had to punt it back.

MIN scores again in the 4th quarter.  In the last minute of the game I add a safety and FG to lose 13-5.

Good defense by the Bucs in this one.  The main issue conts. to be punt coverage.  Even when I boom a nice punt inside the five, say, it most often gets returned out near the 20.  The average PR has to be about 17 yards.

Bucs now 2-5.

Hardy Har's stats on the season:  143 tackles; 21 sacks; 3 FF; 1 INT.  The Bucs as a team have 56 sacks.

Wk 8 v ATL

ATL scores TDs on first 2/3 drives, including a ridiculous covered bomb to Heyward, where he dives for the pass and then explodes everyone.

Game settles down for awhile, but still zero oppts to score through three quarters.

I got no love with the blocked punt screens, as I got the screen just about every time, but never blocked a punt.

I gathered 1 INT in the 2Q but that was in my end so I just had to punt it away.

ATL scores a 4th Q TD.  I INT George, but again it doesn't matter b/c I just have to punt it away.  Norm "From Cheers" Johnson adds a late, late FG.  Exactly zero times was I in position to score here.  24-0 loss.

Roby is averaging about 53 yards per kick, but again, I'd say 17-20 yards per kick are getting erased off of that, so his net is much lower.  That's right, the season has come down to talking about the punter....

Edited by CheapCatch

Wk 9 v HOU

Despite causing six turnovers, I still lose 7-6.

No scoring was had until the 4th Q. It started midway through when Chandler tossed up a duck to Jeffires, who jump caught it in the EZ.

The first half saw me cause 3 INTs and 1 forced fumble, but only one put me in a scoring position, and that resulted in a Husted miss.

Late in the 4th Q I apparently located the weakness in the Oiler punting unit, as I actually tackled the punter on back to back attempts.  Husted made good on both attps, but by then it was late in the game, and HOU was able to just run out the clock.

TAMs punt coverage continues to be horrific, and a huge factor in these games.  Little Mel Gray broke so many tackles on returns I lost count.  Consistently the first two-three guys to reach the returner are terrible.  The first is usually some white guy who just gets blasted, followed by two slower guys.  TAM easily has the worst punt coverage I have ever seen in TSB III. 

I am feeling like you just have to get extraordinarily lucky to even score in the defense only challenge.      

Edited by CheapCatch

true dat.  At this point I have no idea how he does it....The main ways to score are off of INT, blocked punt, and fumble returns.  INT and fumbles are somewhat lucky.  I've blocked a ton of kicks this year, but few have resulted in points. 

I think he might have even gone undefeated with TAM.  Eric, which teams have you gone undefeated with, or had the most success with, in the defense only challenge?

Edited by CheapCatch

I'll answer that later tonight...

First, 15 yard punt returns are not unusual.  Don't you love it when they don't have the blocker back there?

What happens (even if you have Roby) is that unless turnovers are occurring, the field position game slowly gets away from you until you get into, what I call, The Vicious Cycle.  COM is actually quite good at punts that pin you inside the 20.  So you punt, 15 yard return, you stop 'em, and it happens all over again.  All it takes is one play for them to get into FG position.  Or worse, they score, kickoff, you punt, 15 yard return, and you're still one play away from giving up more points.

In rare occasions, it actually makes sense to take a safety.  You only give up two points, but you get to kick off.  The only time I have ever used this is against the Steelers.  The Vicious Cycle plus Rod Is God returning punts is how you can lose 55-0.  But if you kick off to him you have a better chance at stopping him.  Get a couple sacks, and now the field position game is on your side, and you can boot your punts into the end zone for (hopefully) some touchbacks.

Second, how does your team have 56 sacks if the guy you are controlling only has 21?  Are you calling pass plays or using a variety of guys?  Stick with Hardy in Dime formation every single play and call run every single play (in case you aren't).

One rare exception is MIN.  Call their play action pass to avoid bombs to Jake Reed.  Even if Robert Smith gets the ball Hardy will easily stop him, regardless of the play.

Edited by Eric

I really do well with any team with a good LB.  It accomplished three things:

1.  You can sabotage a majority of runs.

2.  You can get a shitload of sacks.

3.  The good LB is the guy you free up on punts for lots of tackles on the punter.

I have undefeated seasons with the Jets, Bucs, Raiders, Seahawks, and Niners, and a lot of 15-1 seasons.

The "Vicious Cycle" is a great way to put it.  Any kind of score given up due to the kick off is tough to crawl out of field position wise.

I just use Nickerson, except for on occasion I use Everett.  I have that many sacks mainly from DLmen busting in there, and called plays.  There are plenty of opportunities.  Most series the CPU goes three and out.  All it takes is one play, as you know, to have the levee break.  My main flaw is not finding ways to score game in and game out. 

I don't always choose run b/c really I can stop the run with no problem most games.  If there is a run that is a PITA then I'll choose it.  I really mix up my calls on defense depending on the playbook, and who I am playing.

At this point I am far from getting even a winning record.  Great job getting those undefeated records and 15-1 seasons.  Obviously playing good defense doesn't matter much to the challenge (see: vicious cycle), since in most games I hardly give up anything, and still lose.  It's all about those timely turnovers.  I am really missing the boat on getting big defensive plays.  I have blocked a lot of punts this season (namely with Nickerson and Sapp), so that is cool, but do not have many fumble recoveries.  I have a decent number of INTs but not many have placed me in scoring position.  Most INTs I have I get tackled right away with no chance of a return.

Good to know on the punt return yardage.  That is probably the most frustrating part b/c it's hard to pin the other team back when every punt return goes for 17-20. 

I tried another game with MIN and lost 14-3 against CHI.  Del Rio had 9 sacks, and Randle was a beast, but I just can't get the points.

I think I might see the problem.  When you have Nickerson you really should be tackling the opposing punter quite a bit.  This you should consistently be getting FG attempts from tackling the punter.  When Nickerson is in Excellent, the punter has almost no chance.

And you really only need to win the first three quarters, because after that, COM starts going for it on 4th down.

Check out this video at 2:00, 4:00, 5:55, and 7:40.  I'm doing it just right, but since my LB is Glenell Sanders, I'm not quite getting there.  If it were Nickerson, all four might have been a tackled punter.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuen-6LQ5Ro

Yeah, I don't know.  I'd say I get the punt block screen, where the guy is diving at the punter, about 90% of the time?  It's a high percentage either way.  I've only tackled the punter twice in the same game on back to back punts in the 4th quarter.  Not sure, overall:  I feel like I get to the punter pretty quickly.   

As far as winning the first three quarters I think of Han Solo saying to Obi-Wan about avoiding imperial entanglements, "Well, that's the real trick, isn't it?"

Glad to see you are getting set up for online play. 

Edited by CheapCatch