Defense Only challenge - NFTGL Saints

TecSpectre

hmmmm....I might have to try one of these challenges when I get a chance.

Over on the NES board there is an informal Cardinal default playbook challenge.  I decided to try it for the hell of out.  I was cruising until I lost to the 49ers in the last seconds of the game.  I then have failed to beat Philadelphia in like Wk 10 or so about four times in a row.  It's a tough challenge b/c the playbook is terrible.  You are more or less relegated to 3-4 plays max, as the season gets to the midway point (sometimes you can only use one of the pass plays since a good DLman will sack you on the PA passes).  And the one pass play you can use without getting sacked rarely has anyone open.  2/4 run plays are pretty much useless almost no matter what.  It's a tough one.

trying this with the bears.  Punting with that team is rough.  

*edit: I think i'm done.  This punter is like insurmountable bad for this challenge.  It's like a stroke of luck if i get off more than a 5 yard punt with the timer he has.

*edit2: no just my controller i think.  seems to get the A input about a good bit after i hit it.  Even made a 100/100 punter to make sure.

Edited by Dusto

Dusto-

Punting can be tricky to get used to.  There is an inherent delay (programmed in) from the time you hit the button to punt to when the meter stops, so you have to hit it a little early so the meter doesn't end up going back to the start.

Seems like you are figuring that out anyway, but I just wanted to mention that the programmers actually built that in, I am guessing, to make punting more difficult. 

Edited by CheapCatch

Bears are rough.  I wouldn't start with them unless you upgrade at LB.  Kaplan is actually a pretty decent punter.  Isn't his base KP 50?

I would try a team with your favorite LB and sign Deion to help cover your mistakes.

TWO KEYS:

1.  STOP the run.  Always call the most difficult running play for you to defend.  Yes, even on 3rd and 18.

2.  Get to their punter.  Since in this challenge you cannot return kicks/punts, but the computer can, it's a losing field position battle unless you can pressure the punter.  Also, most of your scores will be field goals after tackling their punter or blocking punts.

i've done really decent with Mark Carrier. He's returned 3 ints for touchdowns so far.  Getting better at punting tho I still screw it up horribly about every 3.  Definitely learned my lesson on picking run. Both Robert Smith and the Packer RB trounced me for 175+ yards.

Scores so far:

Vikings  L :  17-35

Packers W: 17-11

Just got pwned by the Buccs. 48-10 :(

Oh wow. I just saw the kick return / punt return rule.  That's so much worse than how I was playing.  I'll just start over 

Going to use the Steelers as my beginner team and then depending on how I do move on to a harder team

Edited by Dusto

If I could have ever gotten real pressure on the punter... and maybe even blocked some punts, this would have been a much easier challenge...

I'm curious what you do to stop punts Eric... i might go watch some more of your videos and take a look

I always sign Rico Mack and place him as my first LB.  This keeps him on the bench when I play Dime, but has him as my point man on punt/field goal block team.  There's something about his speed - not too fast, not too slow, with a little HP?  Whatever it is, I angle him upwards briefly, then straighten out, to free up the #2 LB (the good one).  Yes, everyone already does this.  But there's skill to it - you have to hit it JUST RIGHT to have the best chance at springing your good LB.  What makes this difficult is that the timing changes as Rico's condition changes.  It's really a feel thing.  The speed with which you perform it, or the finger dexterity, is a lot like the tap-dodge in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.

HUSTED WE HAVE A PROBLEM

I decided to try out the defense challenge w the Bucs.

In all I had 4 forced fumbles, only two of which I recovered.  I also notched 4 blocked punts, but only two in field goal range.

Michael Husted went 1/3 on FGs, and I lost 10-3 to the Eagles.

I turn injuries off for two reasons.  One, I want to see what stats I can accrue in a full season for individual players and I want my individual records to be all in the same context - a 16-game full season.  This is also why I don't swap players around during the game (since stats get swapped around to the wrong people).  Two, I want to face the opponents' real lineup - for better or worse.  What if I beat the Cowboys, but Irvin was out with an injury?  Then I'd always wonder if I would have beaten them at full strength.

Eric-

Yeah I was thinking the same thing regarding wanting to see what kind of numbers you could put up.  Nickerson has almost 60 tackles after two weeks.  I've also managed 5 blocked punts in two weeks, but most of them have been at around midfield, out of FG range.

These games are long.  The CPU is getting a possession about every minute it seems, so on average five a quarter I'd say.

Is that what you have found?

I think the Bucs are much less likely for that to happen... a guy like Nickerson makes this challenge, imo, probably not very challenging.

The 5 minute quarters also really extend things a bit as I was doing 3 minutes.

The bucs also have one of the best punters in the game... everything about that team screams for this challenge.

yeah, I chose the Bucs off the top of my head b/c of Nickerson.  While he's awesome, it is hard to stop a team the entire game.  He is also a blocked punt master.  Roby is a great punter, but mannnn the kick coverage for TAM is awful.  I've already run through this as well, but Husted being so bad compromises many scoring opps.