Defense Only challenge - NFTGL Saints

TecSpectre

So I'm practicing for the coming nftgl season on a cart that matches the nftgl cart using my team, the saints.

Many teams are different on this cart, so I'll list some notable changes.

NO has clyde simmons instead of turnbull and cb eagles instead if eric allen.

StL has deion sanders and rb bills instead of Bailey.

SF has nagle, flipper, lott and romsnowski instead of young, rice, norton and hanks.

Carolins has sanders instead of foster.

Atl has kelly instead of George.

Game 1 vs StL, I'm calling goal line and audibling into dime and using simmons in the lb slot.

I lose 44-0. I had 7 sacks and 1 int in the end zone.

It hurts that one completion essentially puts the computer in fg range.

I never even got close to having a chance at scoring.

Wow, I forgot how hard it was at first...

ALWAYS CALL RUN (just in case you aren't).  Although against MIN it's okay to call pass since Robert Smith is no danger and MIN playcalls pass more than usual (unless I'm crazy).

Your LB should almost always be shooting the gap to sack the QB or blowing up a run play.  Let your other guys defend receivers.  You can't really do much to stop them.

Why aren't you getting any FGs?  Are you able to pressure their punter?  That's going to be your bread & butter.

Any chance you can record one of your games?

I haven't been herring many stops on punts. I'm getting pressure, but it's always from the edges as my lbs are awful.

I am shooting the gap on every play, but even one successful first down generally gets them onto my side of the field.

I had one fg attempt because it said i was on the 44 and Andersen can make that, butt i was actually on the 45-46 and it feel short.

I could record a game but I'd have to setup for that, so it probably won't happen till Monday.

Game 6 vs patriots

Win 17-7.

Thus one was cake. Two frs resulting in fgs to open the game. 9 sacks and -31 yards rushing for them. Their playbook is so easy to pick apart.

They have a couple tough pass plays.  On one of them my COM controlled players just refuse to cover both Crittenden and Brisby.  If I'm using a slow guy sometimes the flea flicker is tough and Crittenden goes all Yarborough on me.  Then again, when you pick one of the flea flickers, it's often a fumble that's set up for a great return.  Nice win.

Game 7 vs atl

Win 13-0...

Got a rare td on a fumble. They fumbled like 6 times, but only 1 resulted in a score. Even got an int, but it was in my end zone.

8 sacks. Two fgs in the fourth when they stopped punting.

Nice shutout.  I take it Ironhead didn't go beast mode.  Did George's roll-out sneak give you any trouble?

I think the Saints D is pretty good.  They are weak at LB and they are in the toughest division in the game.

I get gashed to the bone when I play against any team that runs it well. The LB is the biggest problem indeed. Allen covers most of the secondaries problems but man oh man is it a pain to stop the run.

Game 8 vs St Louis

Loss 28-7

I jumped out to a 7-0 on a sack, ff, frtd by me.

Took it to half 7-7. In the third i injured bettis who got replaced by Marcus Wilson. The rams then preceded to run wild for 21pts in the third.

I never sniffed another score.

8 more sacks, but only 3 by me

Game 9 vs 49ers

Loss 17-0.

I had two legit scoring opportunities, kicked two fgs and missed both.

In each of my last two games I've given up a punt return td.

I only had 6 sacks and they all came early. The niners ran almost every play and i can't seem top get any consistent pressure on punts.

Edited by TecSpectre

I really want having a lot of issues shutting them down. I could tackle moore and I'd dive on Floyd.

I decided to move on from the challenge. I learned what i needed to from it and while it was neat, i wanted to get back to practicing offense tinning and such, and other defensive styles

I cannot find a good way to dive tackle Floyd on his run where there is pre-snap motion.  Perhaps that's because I need to audible out of Dime?

I've noticed that sometimes in Dime a running play is tough for my LB to defend because a blocker is "assigned" to him and chases him around.  But when I audible into Nickel, sometimes that same blocker does not even attempt to block my guy.  I think maybe that Mario Bates run where it looks like everybody on the team is stacked up on the line of scrimmage LOL