Cheap-O Challenge V - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Eric

First round of the playoffs, and guess who?  The Lions.  They beat the Saints in the Wildcard Round.

I catch a break early when Mitchell airs one out, Trapp picks it off, then returns it to the DET 42.  Normally I wouldn't go for it, but I know that Treadwell is in EXC condition.  It's woefully short, and the flipped field affects me the rest of the half.  Nearing halftime, it's still 0-0, when the Lions string together a series of three passes, the third going to Ron Hall for the TD.  He was double covered but they couldn't keep up with him LOL

I keep feeling like I'm barely hanging on in this game.  I can stop them, but I can't get any big breaks.  I finally get one in the 3rd when they fumble the punt return and I take it in for the TD.

In the 4th they keep knocking on the door.  Finally Barry starts to cut loose with the run up the middle. They make it to my 30 for what must be the 5th time in the game, but I've been able to push them out of field goal range each time with sacks.  With time winding down I get a strip-sack on Mitchell and my punt pins them inside the ten.  I tackle Barry for a 4-yd loss, then a 3-yd loss, and with one second remaining I can get a safety.  But they call the Mitchell sneak for a small gain and regulation ends at a 7-7 tie.

The way things are going I wonder how long overtime will last.  Turns out not long.  On their second possession I push them back, back, until on 3rd down I tackle them at the one-inch line.  I tackle the punter for the safety, and that's how it ends.

Bucs 9 - Lions 7

At least I don't face Dallas in the NFC Championship Game.  They lost... to the Niners.  Ugh LOL

NFC Championship

San Francisco 30 - Tampa Bay 14

I actually played a good game.  I made some smart gambles and guessed right a lot of time.  The problem was that even when I guessed right I still lost.  For example, I picked the downward run by Derrick Moore so that I could "guess" with Elijah that Young would roll out.  Even when I guessed right, Young was so fast that he could complete his roll out and release the ball before Elijah could get there.  Also, there were many times I was so close to a sack and Young would flip it out in the flat for a nice gain.  Derrick Moore caught 5 for 79.

Edited by Eric

I can rack up pretty insane numbers with the TB base defense.  Nickerson is one of the top five LB in the game.  Plus Mayhew, Everett, Curry, Dotson, and Sapp with the easiest schedule in the league...

But, you're right.  10 INT TD's is pretty tough to beat with any base defense.  And 9 special teams TDs is beyond lucky.  But that's what makes it fun when you get them!

• 4 weeks later...