Tecmo Bowl - enhanced

TecmoTurd

So in currently in progress on a stat scraping rom rater thing for the 2014 ROM, and it dawned on me that this tool would help with another project on my list, an enhanced version of Tecmo Bowl. Define enhanced?

Add the remaining teams to the game and fix the flaws in the original (Bo's play, min, wash, pat beach).

Additionally, I'd like to do a 60's rom, but that's down the road.

On original game, pat beach's route on pass 1, I think would be wide open even if you playpicked it, so you could always dump it off to him.  Fez or Jstout gave me a fix that switched it so that the defender doesn't blitz, he stays back and covers the pass.

I think that would be great. I too would like to come together and figure out a ratings system. I posted a few times how I have rated players in the past. I think the main thing is to be consistent in each ROM. I know in the TSB community and even TecmoTurd himself have come up with ways to use different ratings to determine how players react (i.e. Int hack). I don't know enough about hacking these ROM's to create something like that. I am mostly a trial an error guy, but I would love to see a standard rating system to make the ROMS competitively similar.

As far as a community game that others play, I would love that, but I don't know if there is a big enough following for original TB. I'm not interested in TSB, have always been sentimentally attached to the original myself, so an upgrade and complete game to base all others on would be a welcomed project that I would love to see and or be a part of.

I didn't do that hack, jstout did.  That said, I know the following isn't there, but there ARE a few of us and the project would be fun.  

As for a consistent rating scheme, it's pretty easy to rate TB provided you use the original ROM as a reference.  In fact, the rater I'm creating lets you select an original ROM player to use for that position and fills in the ratings for you.  The biggest key to TB rating is not to give every player his real life abilities...what I mean by that is if you have a defense that was really bad, but had one good player on it, that one player in the right slot makes that defense pretty formidable. Julius peppers in the Banks spot...give him Banks abilities and the shitty bears defense becomes really awesome.

That said, I was rating my games with the Brad rules in effect.  Lately, as I said, I've been thinking it makes defense too overpowered and difficult to score, so I've changed my way of thinking.  With laxing on their rules, it makes offense better, which in turn having a defense that is higher powered might not be such a bad thing for balance.  We'll see what happens when I finish the 2014 ROM and get some playtesting in.

• 2 weeks later...