Tecmo Brackets

Tecmo-Mad-Brad

As usual, I'm always looking at different ways to put a new spin on playing Tecmo with a new format in competition.

The NCAA basketball non conference tournaments gave me some ideas for fashioning up these.

Using the Japan/USA combo rom with fixed playbooks, we have 3 tournaments we can play.  8 teams each tourney, which will feature all 24 teams.

Brackets below, and I gave each tourney a location...San Fran, Chicago, and New York.  Closest teams to tourney location are player 1(home team).

There was a rhyme and reason with the tier pairings here.  Tried to make each bracket different than the others.  Some are set up to feature the best teams in the championship round and others are more geared towards having a 2nd tier team make a legit run at the title.   

New York bracket.

bracketNYtourney_zps11483d95.png

This is probably the best bracket of the 3.  Highly competitive 1st round games, leading into good 2nd round games.  I can make a case for everyone but Japan LA and USA Dallas to reach the championship game.  Giants did not manage to randomly fall into this bracket, so they won't get the bump in home field advantage.

If Washington could get Indy in round 2, they are in the discussion as favorite here.  Skins would rather face Seattle than Minnesota in title game though.  Japan MIA would give IND/WSH fits in title game.     

Next up is the Chicago bracket

bracketCHItourney_zps34361659.png

All 4 first round games are between fairly equal teams...problem being that WSH/DAL winner is a turd, and an easy win for MIN or NYG.

CHI/CLE winner is a pretty decent favorite to reach the championship game.  Japan version of Giants has some serious holes in it.  They are not the favorite here.  I have a hard time seeing them beat both MIN and CHI on the road.  DEN/SEA would be an ideal championship opponent for them.  Cleveland would be tricky for NY.  Minnesota pretty much crushes everyone in title game except for Chicago.

Seahawks/Broncos is definitely the most evenly matched game in all of Tecmo.  I really hate playing it because there is really no decided advantage for either team.  Total mirror images.  I prefer Denver in the next round because Dorsett is the superior back to Mack.   

San Fran Bracket

bracketSFtourney_zpsbcee4536.png

Least intriguing 1st round of all.  I see NYG, CLE, SF, and CHI as very strong favorites here.  With that said, it creates really strong 2nd round games, and the loser bracket would be highly competitive as well.   While Japan SF is clearly the best team from either version they have probably the hardest path of any team with Bears/Giants on deck.

If Denver can pull off the upset over Giants, they can certainly beat Cleveland, but would be big dog vs SF/CHI.   

The one thing that sucks these days is that we are pretty good at flat out finding ways to win with the better teams, even when they get out-played by weaker squads..  That prevents the Cinderella type team from sticking out here in these competitions.  We did that 24 team handicapped tourney with the weaker teams all getting byes, and in the end virtually all of the top teams reached the final 8, except for Chicago losing their games.  Probably would be more of the same chalk here.....but the format in some ways will help prevent having all super power teams in the championship games.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

We getting some video of this tournament??

I think after we play the games, we could go back quickly and pick out the highlights.  We could record them on my handy-cam, and have some instant analysis from Nate and I.  Would probably just be a few key plays from each game, but we could put something together.  As long as the handy-cam picks up the screen of the TV well enough it would be easy to make.  A lot easier than trying to splice together a bunch of footage from the actual game dvds.      

I went through and separated the teams this time into 4 tiers, instead of 3.  This sorta opens things up a bit when creating the brackets.

I really like how these brackets came together.  Probably a bit better than the other ones.

New York bracket

bracketNYtourney1-4_zpsf0bde244.png

All 4 teams in the top half would make for good games in round 2.  That's a great start to the bracket.  

Bottom half lacks some drama, but it does feature the worst Giants version and the best version of the other 3 teams...so that angle intrigues me a bit.  Giants should still scrape by though.  

I think i like Japan MIN here to win this, even though NYG would be at home.

Chicago bracket

bracketCHItourney1-4_zps093dc6e5.png

Despite Japan 49ers being the best team, they have a brutal road game in round 2 either way.  Japan Colts would need like 4 miracles to beat them.  

Bottom half has 2 really good teams with WSH/CLE.  Opens the door for Denver and Elway to be the darkhorse here.  Japan Dallas is toast.

Japan SF would also be on road in championship game....all winnable, but WSH/CLE would be tough opponents.  I think they kill Denver though.  

Get MIN/CHI in there vs WSH/CLE and you have a great game on your hands. 

San Fran bracket

bracketSFtourney1-4_zps455e5dcc.png

Really great top half of bracket here.  Basically 3 super power teams(CHI/NYG/IND), as Indy can bring it.  However Miami and Marino really can give Indy/NYG some trouble, so they could be the surprise team.

Good games in bottom half with pretty even teams in round 1, but Browns are the clear cut favorite.  Cleveland is really the only team from this half that can be considered to win it.  Seattle would need to face Miami if they were to have a shot in the title game.