Your Journey to Madison - Collaborative Tecmoer Documentary

vogtcd11

Hello Fellow Tecmoers.

I hope everyone has been doing well. It was great to see you all at Tomczak Bowl VI in Waterloo, Iowa. Sorry if we missed some of you. I continue to be amazed with how much the Tecmo community grows. With that being said, ideas are always churning through our minds to not only help promote Tecmo Super Bowl and its community, but to specifically better the community by bringing it even closer together.

An idea was discussed between myself, Ryan Stewart (Ryan11p) and Derek Ruble (TecmoPsycho) on the way home from Iowa over the weekend that we feel can further the 1991 Nintendo game's reputation and its players from the multimedia standpoint.

Can we rally the community together even more as Madison, Wisconsin's Tecmo X approaches? Can we count on you to commit to a fun project that could eventually land itself on a full-fledged, fan-operated, professional Tecmo Super Bowl documentary that me, Derek, Ryan and others from the Tecmo community will put together with our technological resources?

WHAT ARE WE ASKING OF YOU? We want you to document your trip to Tecmo X in Madison this coming March. And when I say document, we are asking for you to use a flip cam recorder (or anything that you feel will capture decent quality) and record your trek to Tecmo's Big Dance. An introduction as to who you are, who you are with, and everything in between. We would ask for you to allow us to gather recorded material from your devices at the tournament. We would conduct interviews throughout Tecmo X, grab in-game footage and connect it all together in the making of the documentary.

Different segments within the documentary would include (not completely finalized yet):
1.) Introduction of the game itself
2.) The LIVE cult of Tecmo Super Bowl
3.) The ONLINE presence of Tecmo Super Bowl
4.) David Fulcher's persective of the game, as he plans on coming up to Madison with us (Adding other interviews that I could fix up with big name stars)
5.) Collection of personal Tecmo player trips to Madison and how we all come together to celebrate their stories
6.) The Madison tournament itself, the history and
7.) The aftermath of the tournament and its fun (drinking) festivities

We understand that this could be a timely process, but if we get groups of travelers to participate, then it would be loads easy to get as much footage as possible. Again, this would be done from a professional mindset in terms of the editing of this feature. We would get consent from all Tecmoers to use their stuff.

We thank you for your cooperation in this project, and I hope that we can get you involved one way or another.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Take care. Tecmo forever. Madden never.

Chris Vogt
Midwest Tecmo Super Bowl
Tournament Director
(513) 225-3274
[email protected]
@mwtecmo | @vogtcd

Good idea, I'm fairly certain if I did one of these last year I'd be serving 10-20 in a very cold and scary Wiscy prison!  Not sure if I'm going to make it this year or not yet.  Maybe I'll record the moment when the wife puts my balls in a jar after she rejects my tecmo trip plans?  #RealityTV

• 4 weeks later...

Count me in. Let me know if I can help.

Also, do you want any specific type or style of footage?

Is it possible that some people can bring their cameras to Madison to film at the tournament? 

I am a huge fan of fighting games and watch the Evo streams every year when they have their tournament. Every year I get jealous that we don't do a sweet recap video at Madison like this one.

Edited by qb_browns

Is it possible that some people can bring their cameras to Madison to film at the tournament? 

I am a huge fan of fighting games and watch the Evo streams every year when they have their tournament. Every year I get jealous that we don't do a sweet recap video at Madison like this one.

I agree - let's do it!

I am bringing my GoPro. With the amount of recent smart phones, we should be able to pile on some decently shot footage.

I agree - let's do it!

I am bringing my GoPro. With the amount of recent smart phones, we should be able to pile on some decently shot footage.

Can we mount the GoPro on Matty V's draft beer glass somehow in order to get the full effect of his record-setting chug?

I think we should have some PNW  representation in this project. I have a newer smartphone and also a FlipCam. Open to suggestions I am.

I was tweeting daily once the tourney opened up registration but alas I've fallen off the horse so to speak. Gonna try to get back on that and hopefully add something to this project as well. Again, I'm open to suggestions. Manyo???

I'm thinking a PNW training session with the sauce flowing and some Cannonball Run in the background.

I think we should have some PNW  representation in this project. I have a newer smartphone and also a FlipCam. Open to suggestions I am.

I was tweeting daily once the tourney opened up registration but alas I've fallen off the horse so to speak. Gonna try to get back on that and hopefully add something to this project as well. Again, I'm open to suggestions. Manyo???

I'm thinking a PNW training session with the sauce flowing and some Cannonball Run in the background.

This with as much TBK as humanly possible.

Another way to build some hype with this is to start a "Road to Madison" youtube series. Film yourself or a group playing Tecmo to get ready. Then start posting away on a youtube channel. 

You could offer weekly interviews on Tecmo Talk Radio with participants who are prepping for the tournament. We can do follow ups at the tournament to put on youtube and we can do a little interview time with some of these guys on the stream as well during the quick breaks. 

• 2 weeks later...

The tecmo community never stops amazing me such great ideas, the people on here could take over the world lol, I am so excited about this project it does not get any better than a road trip with your buddies, to go to a live tecmo tourney full of 200+ more buddies with the unbreakable bond that is TSB! cant wait to make our video with Matt Diaz, qbbrowns Diaz and I will be putting the youtube idea to test if you want we are recording our trip to DET. i was thinking i could edit it and get it to you somehow, please hit me up on aim to talk about this?

• 1 month later...

I hope those who are traveling, and even those who live a few miles from Madison, plan on participating. This is aimed to be a fun project. Let's see how many groups or packs of travelers can give some good footage for us to use. Check out the initial post, please!

I know myself and Woodshed (J. Willis) will both be wielding our Handycam's, I wish we would have done this last year! And with plenty of stops at the World's Largest Candle, Woody the Root Beer Man, and Bessie the Cow we should have plenty of material. I'm not sure but I don't think the World's largest ball of mud is on the way, however; the Lindsey Buckingham will be playing throughout the trip ala Clark W Griswold.