Pillager, MN - 12/7/13 - Minnesota Tecmo Super Bowl VI Tournament

Joshbrainerdmn

You can take preventative measures, but you can't prevent everything, we all know how touchy a console can be.  What if you get mad and pull or throw a controller?  If you kick something that hits the table that does a restart?  Granted, you should never be that close to the console in the case you are slamming your fist down, but it's your responsibility to move farther away then.  In Madison, I barked a few times at people who put their beer on the table next to the console.  It's your ass if you do something out of anger to cause the game to stop, period and should expect nothing short of a forfeit if something goes wrong, regardless if its second quarter and you're behind, or if you have the lead with 2 mins left.  Of course it's up to the other guy to agree to replay it from the point, but it's kinda dumb to expect a guy to say "I have a guaranteed 200 bucks and a title already in my hands, but sure I'll let you have another shot at me cause you can't control yourself"

BIll can probably defend himself here, but as for running away with the money and not giving another replay, it's Tecmo, the best players fall victim to garbage.  This isn't ping pong or playing HORSE in the backyard where you're in total control of your destiny, I barely knocked a player out after he blocked my field goal, recovered a fumble, and returned 2 punt returns from fumbles for TDs in one game.  I'd take the money too.

Ryan F came with Eric G to the the tournament as a friend and bystander. He reluctantly decided to enter the tournament because we needed another player at the last minute. He has very little if any experience with playing the game, in his own words. I observed that Eric G. was showing him some tips to play before the game.

Ryan F. was the loud, obnoxious, drunk, argumentative one at the end of the tournament. I was stern with Ryan F. multiple times and I asked him to drop it several times because of the private family sitting behind the commotion. Ryan F. continued to argue with the tourney organizer in an attempt to bend the rules on behallf of his friend Eric G.

Edited by benr47

Ben claimed that his rules stated that any intentional reset of the game would be a DQ. Makes perfect sense and I agree, but it was vividly clear to anyone watching that there was NO intentional reset of the game. It was still the first quarter when Eric missed the field goal and was only down by 7 against someone he has beat before. Why on earth would he reset the game??? It makes no sense, especially if he knows the rules say an "intentional" reset would DQ him. Think about it. It was clearly an instant emotional reaction, there was no time for there to have been an intentional game reset in the 3 seconds this happened in.

It probably could be worded differently but any sort of overreaction/direct action cannot be considered unintentional and is therefore intentional.

If a guy can't play a game without potentially wrecking the equipment and the enjoyment of the rest of the participants, I'm not sure why he should get the benefit of the doubt.

In an attempt to end the craziness.

Everybody here loves Tecmo Bowl. We can all agree on this. Eric G. come back if you wish next year and try and win the tournament (which you could very well do, you are that good) and then you can say, last year I made a mistake and now you know who the champ is.  

I do want to point out that I have only met Bill K. and Eric G. at the last 2 tournaments. I have no bias in who won, I know them only from the two tourneys.  They are both considered by me to be a some of the best in Minnesota that I have ever seen, including Ed G. I think that a rematch with the two of them in the finals next year could easily happen.

With that said, I personally put a lot of time and work into getting this tournament to be what it is. It is hard being a referee, but cut me some slack, I made the best decision for the tourney and I followed the rules, not for gain of any player, but because I followed the rules.

If anyone could do it better, go ahead and volunteer the time and we would appreciate the help next year in organizing.

Thanks to everyone for coming, It was a blast! 

Disappointing is a good word to describe this whole situation.

Ryan posted on his own accord, not mine. He helped me dig my car out of a ditch just before the tourney, and he did Ben a solid by joining the tourney at the last minute without any preparation when he knew he'd just be donating $20. He's a quality guy.

Was he argumentative? Absolutely. Did he have a buzz going? Yeah, probably. But he was in no way loud or obnoxious. It may have been obnoxious to you that he was offering an opinion that you didn't like. IMO he wasn't behaving in an unacceptable way considering the setting was a bar & grill. Now, maybe that's the only "family" eatery in Pillager, MN. I don't know. In the end it doesn't matter because each person's perception is there own reality.

I find that drama can't survive when emotions settle and you stick to the facts. The bottom line facts are these:

1. It was -20 below outside with some pretty bad road conditions (see car in ditch reference) which led to about half the expected/registered turn-out for the tournament.

2. Despite fact #1, 20+ guys showed up to play anyway.

3. The championship game never got played in its entirety.

4. I did something stupid. Not debatable. Fact.

5. Bill had an opportunity to do a solid for the sake of competition and in the name of amazing sportsmanship. He decided not to, and he had every rite not to.

6. Ben had an opportunity to at least try (even if Bill refused) to facilitate a fair compromise that would result in the championship game being completed. He chose not to, and that's how he chose to run the tournament. It was his call, and I put him in that position to have to make that call.

It is what it is. Disappointing. To be honest, the only part that really bugs me is that Ben and Bill (according to their posts) actually think I reset on purpose. I guess I thought after getting to know both of you over the past year via tournaments that I wasn't the type of guy that would ever do that delibrately.

So I'll leave it at this. Please know that while what I did was royally stupid, I did not reset on purpose. That's cheap and immoral, and that's just not who I am.

Eric

Bitching back and forth for 24 hrs now, get over it.  The tournament is OVER!  The decision was made to disqualify Eric because of his actions, enough said. 

On a better note:

It was great to see everyone come out in the freezing cold to attend the tournament.  Moving forward I think we will try and schedule the next tournament closer to October so we can avoid weather related issues.  I hope to see you all again next year.

Thanks, 

My two cents again now that I know who Ryan is ...

So I'm playing my game to get into the championship against Eric (he is P1 on the left and I'm seated to the right).  His buddy Ryan (who is plastered) sits down to the left of Eric and I swear he cannot shut his mouth.  He seemed like he was trying to annoy the shit out him, but he was really annoying the hell out of me (or both of us).  I thought for sure Eric would sucker punch him or at least move him 50 feet back, but it never happened.  It was a huge distraction to say the least.  Did I complain?  Did I say "dude let's replay this your buddy is a liability".  No, I lost and went on my way.

Just felt like venting a bit.

Great tourney though, and I feel again like nobody was in the wrong or deserved to give someone a replay.  The only thing I'd change is that the official ruling should have been a forfeit, but should have offered Sconnie the choice to replay if he wants, that is all.

I agree with knobbe. I've seen a system reset before for awkward circumstances. A bump or someone putting a beer down a little too hard. That is understandable. However slapping a table in frustration and resetting things can't be given the same leeway. I would've ruled it the way Ben did.

Seems to me the easy solution would have been to take the two players away from the group as a whole and have a discussion without making any snap judgements.  I'm pretty sure during a civilized conversation Ed would have pointed out that it'd be ridiculous for him to not take the money.  In that case Eric could have said something like, "I only want the championship, not the money."  Ben could have taken that information and proposed a compromise that the game would continue from the place it reset, but Ed would take home the first prize money no matter the outcome.  I'm shocked that in a room full of adult Tecmo Bowl players that nobody could have brought this up?  

Also, did Chip Lohmiller show this year?!

Seems to me the easy solution would have been to take the two players away from the group as a whole and have a discussion without making any snap judgements.  I'm pretty sure during a civilized conversation Ed would have pointed out that it'd be ridiculous for him to not take the money.  In that case Eric could have said something like, "I only want the championship, not the money."  Ben could have taken that information and proposed a compromise that the game would continue from the place it reset, but Ed would take home the first prize money no matter the outcome.  I'm shocked that in a room full of adult Tecmo Bowl players that nobody could have brought this up?  

I think you have Bill and Ed mixed up, but I follow what you meant. Your solution seems good and reasonable in hindsight. I think it's hard to think of the best solution on the spot or in the heat of the moment sometimes.

And, no. Chip didn't show. Guess he didn't want to drive the 10 or so miles again this year. Although, I don't know for sure if he was officially asked to come this time.

The ire of those protesting Ben’s decision is misplaced. None of this happens if Eric properly controls his emotions. A tournament participant cannot, in my view, lose his composure and then complain that he didn’t receive a lifeline from either the tournament director (Ben) or his opponent (Sconnie).  

the only reason why that sideshow is allowed is cause your play is absolute garbage

Agreed. Despite the greatest home field advantage east of Seattle, he has just one Elite 8 appearance in Madison. 

The ire of those protesting Ben’s decision is misplaced. None of this happens if Eric properly controls his emotions. A tournament participant cannot, in my view, lose his composure and then complain that he didn’t receive a lifeline from either the tournament director (Ben) or his opponent (Sconnie).  

Agreed. Despite the greatest home field advantage east of Seattle, he has just one Elite 8 appearance in Madison. 

I agree, like I've mentioned, that this was my doing. The stupid thing is that it's not like I lost my composure or was raving mad or anything. It was a "dang it" moment manifested into a slap that should have been on my knee and not the table.

My stupidity in that moment is beyond measure. I still can't believe I did it.

I agree, like I've mentioned, that this was my doing. The stupid thing is that it's not like I lost my composure or was raving mad or anything. It was a "dang it" moment manifested into a slap that should have been on my knee and not the table.

My stupidity in that moment is beyond measure. I still can't believe I did it.

Don't beat yourself up. Playing Sconnie is challenging on a number of levels, as Ed previously mentioned. I prefer to play him after we've each had 6-7 beers and are equally obnoxious. 

Ben thanks for running this tourney. It was a ton of fun! This was my first live tourney I have played in. Besides with my buddies. To bad it had to end with all this drama. On behalf of the Rockville guys thanks for having us. I did realize the top 3 in this tourney had the rest of us out classed. I was happy to get 4th! Hopefully we can make the trip up again.

Joe H.

(Atwater)

Edited by jerseyjoe

Before the tournament there was approximately 700 views to this thread, I am pleased to see there are over 1600 views now. I believe that this discussion is actually very positive for all of the great Tecmo Tournaments.

This Minnesota Tournament is in its infancy. As an organizer I am learning a great deal and I intend to take the information, comments, and suggestions from many of you senior Tecmo players and continue to put on a great tournament where players can come and enjoy themselves.  And at the end of the day, its nice to realize that this wonderful game can endure time and captivate us all a few days out of the year.

Thank you

Ben 

Ben thanks for running this tourney. It was a ton of fun! This was my first live tourney I have played in. Besides with my buddies. To bad it had to end with all this drama. On behalf of the Rockville guys thanks for having us. I did realize the top 3 in this tourney had the rest of us out classed. I was happy to get 4th! Hopefully we can make the trip up again.

Joe H.

(Atwater)

Joe H.

(Atwater)

Great Jerseys!!!!   And thank you guys for coming. 

It probably could be worded differently but any sort of overreaction/direct action cannot be considered unintentional and is therefore intentional.

If a guy can't play a game without potentially wrecking the equipment and the enjoyment of the rest of the participants, I'm not sure why he should get the benefit of the doubt.

Agree with you 100%, and a slight change in verbiage would probably clear that up. Aside from anyone reaching out and actually hitting the reset button on the console, what was "intentional" or not, will always have to be decided on by someone. Maybe the rule could say something like "if a game reset occurs due to any action from a player, whether intentional or unintentional, a disqualification will occur for the imposing player", or something to that effect, whatever is fair.

My two cents again now that I know who Ryan is ...

So I'm playing my game to get into the championship against Eric (he is P1 on the left and I'm seated to the right).  His buddy Ryan (who is plastered) sits down to the left of Eric and I swear he cannot shut his mouth.  He seemed like he was trying to annoy the shit out him, but he was really annoying the hell out of me (or both of us).  I thought for sure Eric would sucker punch him or at least move him 50 feet back, but it never happened.  It was a huge distraction to say the least.  Did I complain?  Did I say "dude let's replay this your buddy is a liability".  No, I lost and went on my way.

Just felt like venting a bit.

Great tourney though, and I feel again like nobody was in the wrong or deserved to give someone a replay.  The only thing I'd change is that the official ruling should have been a forfeit, but should have offered Sconnie the choice to replay if he wants, that is all.

I don't think you're trying to blame your loss on me Eddy. But to set some of the record straight, I wasn't plastered. I was laying into Eric like I always do, after all, he deserves it for being a male nurse. Dug his own grave with that one, he did. He's also hit me in the face before, and he hits like a girl, so I can't say I was really worried about that. In fact, him slamming his hand on the table was the hardest I've ever seen him hit anything in my life. Too bad the NES took the brunt of that one. Seriously though, If my antics distracted you, sorry. That wasn't my intention in the least. I wish you would have said something to Eric or I at the time and I would have left you two to it.

Brilliant idea in retrospect, however, I can claim to be neither a Tecmo player, nor an adult, so that's my excuse. Not sure about everyone else! ;)

I agree here, and I can cut Ben some slack. It's kind of funny now in retrospect, and all of us flaming on each other on a Tecmo thread (guilty as charged) doesn't really advance the situation in a positive manner (although it adds to the hilarity, in a slightly sadistic way). Eric did his thing and Ben did what he thought was right in a delicate situation. Nobody wants to be put in that situation and the whole thing shouldn't have happened. Maybe some wording changes in the rules or some other tactics for the consoles could help keep stuff like this from happening, who knows. I vote that we get David Blaine next year to come and levitate the console during the championship so Eric can't screw it up again (if he gets there). Or maybe if Chip Lohmiller finally shows up we can have him do special "guest honors" and hold the console. Laces out!

Better still, I vote that Eric should have to tie one hand behind his back while he is playing so he can't slam it on the table anymore. Maybe then I could actually beat him...

Before the tournament there was approximately 700 views to this thread, I am pleased to see there are over 1600 views now. I believe that this discussion is actually very positive for all of the great Tecmo Tournaments.

This Minnesota Tournament is in its infancy. As an organizer I am learning a great deal and I intend to take the information, comments, and suggestions from many of you senior Tecmo players and continue to put on a great tournament where players can come and enjoy themselves.  And at the end of the day, its nice to realize that this wonderful game can endure time and captivate us all a few days out of the year.

Thank you

Ben 

That is pretty amazing. What is it that they say, even bad publicity is good publicity, or something like that. Everyone's gonna want to come next year to see some drama! Huntin' Shack better get ready!

I can pretty much guaranty that both Eric, his Brother & Ryan will be there again next year and it will be epic.

I strongly suggest everyone consider the unintended consequence to allowing game resets as the result of participant actions- may open a can of worms.  Every player may make a subtle act in an attempt to reset a game if they feel they are losing control, have player condition issues, etc.  

A great tourney, well run, growing in popularity and hopefully a little character/ rivalry can add to the excitement and drama of the event going forward.  If nothing else I feel like the unofficial ambassador of the Twin Cities to the Pillager region now, a diplomat of sorts- a Don as the Italians would say.

My final word on the topic- To error is human, to forgive is simply not my policy

Edited by mn55056

For what it's worth, the Madison rules make clear that intent doesn't matter when it comes to NES malfunctions caused by a tournament participant. If human error causes the malfunction, we reserve the right to declare a winner on the spot without replaying the game. This is why I never set my beer on the same table as the NES.

• 11 months later...