Southington, CT - 12/7/13 - Cuban Tecmo Bowl VI

arncoem

The Connecticut tradition is almost here - 1st Saturday of December -  12/7

Same location as last year's tournament & everyone that was there was extremely impressed w/ the venue as well as the tourney!

Pete Dorsey (Cubantecmo) & myself present:  Cuban Tecmo Bowl 6 -

Where:
Blackstone Irish Pub & Sports Bar,
1678 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike
Southington (Milldale section), CT
Zip Cpde: 06467

http://www.blackstoneirishpub.com/

Past winners are:
Cuban Bowl I: Pete Dorsey
Cuban Bowl II: Erik Merliss (ARNCOEM)
Cuban Bowl III: Erik Merliss (ARNCOEM)
Cuban Bowl IV: Francis Buennegal (Mort)

Cuban Bowl V: Francis Buennegal (Mort)

PLEASE POST BELOW IF WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND - leave your email address along w/ name & State you live in.

Can also contact us to register:

Pete:
[email protected]
or call:
203 410 5589
to reserve a spot in the tournament or for additional information

11am start time - ?

$20 entrance fee - will get a free drink from the bar courtesy of us.

We will accomidate up to 60 ppl - make sure to register as soon as possible bc there's been a lot of ppl asking us to save a spot for them before we officially announced the date.

Please let us know if can bring TVs, NES consoles, controllers, cartridges - bring as many as possibly can in case of equipment failure

Transportation:
Blackstone is located at the junction of I-84 & 691 if driving & 10 Minutes from 91 if traveling from Mass, VT, Maine, Canada, North Pole
it's approx 1 hour & 30 minute drive from NYC, 1 hour & 20 min drive from Boston
Also Bradley International Airport is a 20 minute drive from Blackstone

New Haven train station is a 25 minute drive - easiest way to get there is take Metro North train from New York City - we can/will pick & drop ppl back off after at the NH Train station free of charge.

Please contact me as well as Pete for info:
[email protected]          

203 537.0254

Prizes will be cash & trophy for 1st & 2nd place

3rd place a trophy

Last year's trophy was close to 5 feet tall & the largest ever at a Tecmo Tournament  - this year's will give it a run for it's money!

Edited by arncoem

• 2 weeks later...

100% in!!! I'll talk to Anthony too.

I have a good small tv for tecmo, system and 2 games. My paddles aren't the best so I wouldn't bring them.

Pumped, going to use the huge big screen again? I think it was working fine and that was cool.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone needs some help w/ finding hotels in the area don't hesitate to contact us as there's a couple in walking distance of the tournament - as well as Queen St exit off of 84 approx. 4 min drive from Blackstone - multiple hotels there

NICE, they are cheaper than NYC ones too haha, possible after party?

Maybe then I'll grab a hotel and just have a blast and get ripped as well.

oh Jason.....someone is ready.....

a-nightmare-on-elm-street-robert-englund

cheaper just crash in ur car....but im down for lil "street tecmo" after party

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be coming up with chaos from NYC, and I'm sure he's talking with you about equipment. 

Just a reminder that peeps can register quickly and easily via northeasttecmo.com.  Mort and I will also be broadcasting two streams to twitch from the site, and we'll be updating the standings and results as the tournament goes along.  I also have full NETSBA standings updated, complete with player profiles and links to featured-game videos. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a really fun time at this tournament.  It was great to see so many familiar faces and some new ones as well.  It was great to be honored and I really enjoyed the Naughty Nurse (first time I've ever had it, I'm a sucker for Amber Ales).  I went 3-0 in group play with the #1 seed and made it to the Final four of the winner's bracket, only to lose to Mort and Teta (who I had sent to the loser's bracket in the round of 16).  None of my games ended up being close in the 4th quarter, either on the winning or losing side.

My top 5 most memorable moments:

5) Tipped pass for an Interception. Only one of my top 5 moments that involves a game I played in was a game I played against Robbie in Group play.  I had the Bucs against his Rosenbach-led Cardinals.  Rosenbach throws a pass to the bottom receiver and both he and Haddix jump for it.  The cinema plays as if both are going up for the catch, but no icon appears over the receiver.  The cinema shows the receiver tipping the ball and the next thing I knew Haddix had the ball!  I had only seen this once before in my life, and this may be the first time ever that I have heard of that it has happened in Tourney play.

4) Duane Bickett's three INTs.  Scott called a Seahawks-Colts matchup against Kevin and showed how deadly the Colts defense could be.  Bickett had Kreig's number and picked him off three times.  It was pretty shocking to see, and also to see Kevin, who finished 2nd in Philly and 4th in NYC, be eliminated early.

3) Crazy CT battle. Pete and Erik faced off in the winner's bracket (DAL-PHX) and this game did not disappoint.  Tied 10-10 in the 4th, Pete was driving and inside Erik's 20 yard line.  Pete called three straight runs, and Erik picked his play each time.  The third time, Emmitt Smith fumbled and the defense recovered.  It looked like the Cards were going to house it, but a drone narrowly tackled the Cardinals player.  It set up a FG for Erik to win the game, only to have the FG blocked to send the game to OT.  In OT, Pete won the toss and never looked back. Erik, who finished 4th in CT last year and has placed in the top 3 in NYC the last three years, like Kevin, surprisingly went down early as well.

2) An all Buennagel finals.  The second time this has happened in live tourney history and both times happened in CT.  The exhausting drive must do something to these guys who play their best when in the Nutmeg state.  Lou was able to march his way through the loser's bracket after an early defeat in the Winner's bracket from his younger brother and won the first finals game.  Mort was down late to Lou in the second finals game, but Mort overcame this to win his third straight Cuban Tecmo Tourney.

1) Loser's Bracket Finals - Special Teams.  Scott's only loss in group play came to Lou after he was up 10-0 on him. Scott marched his way to the Winner's bracket finals, guaranteeing himself at least 3rd place.  After he fell to Mort, he would attempt his revenge against Lou in a Packers vs Saints matchup.  With this tight contest tied 7-7 in the 4th quarter, Scott completes a pass to bottom WR Perry Kemp, who takes it 70 yards to the endzone for the lead.  However, as any Tecmo veteran knows, kicking off to the Saints is always risky business.  Lou manages to get Heyward to take it all the way back to tie the score at 14-14.  Scott's Packers still have time and the Majik Man completes the same kind of pass to Perry Kemp that once gave him the lead.  The Packers drive to about the 10 yard line and set up for the FG.  Chris Jacke hesitates and the defender comes in, overruns the kicker and is BEHIND him when blocking the FG.  The Packers recover the block, but can't take it in.  The Saints win the toss in OT, get within FG range, and the rest is history.

Again, a great tourney, and I'd like to add my honorable mention moment: Why won't you die, QB Browns?!

Ty for Pete Dorsey (cuban tecmo)(guy in jason mask) and Erik Merliss (Arcn.) for running a great tourney. After a rather dangerous drive from buffalo to conn. we arrived in town around midnight. (snow in catskills really slowed us down and we nearly skidded off the road once). We helped set up and mort broadcast a bunch games which recorded for your viewing pleasure at http:www.twitch.tv/mort1237 (videos)

My Games...went 3-0 pool play...including a tough game vs Scott S. W 21-17 was ova minn. I picked the matchup and was down 0-10 after a fumble and t.o.d. but got td before half...scored 21 in row and held on to win 21-17.

Winners Bracket Vs.???? W 24-14 ??? Buf ova Philly

Winners Bracket Vs Mort L 0-31 Kc vs Chi...Kc gets ball 1st and held on downs due to chi goaline stand...mort scores on next drive. Okoye and word fumble on next two drives and set up easy chi td. Kc gets down 0-21 early and lose 0-31

Losers Bracket Vs dave Post W tb 13-10 pitt OT....TB takes 10 lead vs a good player in Dave...down 3-10 pitt has ball midfield and there hail mary jj is cuaght as time expired. OT...pitt wins toss gets in long fg range but I pull another "kicking games miracle" with wayne haddix fg block. 2 plays later i nail a long fg to win 13 to 10.

Losers Bracket vs pat Blanchard W 14-0 Gb ova saints...Sharpe sets up 1st td...as Pat forget to put hillard at rb. went on to win 14-0

Losers Bracket vs Cuban Tecmo w 34-14 Mia ova La Rams...Marino just puts the team on his back....and ttl games online help a lot. as dan man carves up the rams secondary. Really this was my best played game in the tourney.

Losers Bracket Vs Jim Teta...I call mia vs minn...of course he wouldnt give me mia. so i get fav team in minn. Minn would get all the breaks in the game. 1st drive minn gambles on 4th and 2 in 1st qtr...and get rick fenney cc on called pass play on 4th down. have to settle for a fg 3 plays later. Up 3-0 with marino starting to hit up..mia rb fumbles near midfield and minn scores there only td on ensuing drive up 10-0...they go on to win 13-7. Jim Teta really had a good tourney..sorry for the bad breaks in the game

Losers bracket vs Scott S. win 17-14 OT saints ova GB....down 14-7 with 2mins and change heyward houses an kickoff after a gb 4th down td to perry kemp. Gb gets ball back and hit perry kemp on a burner. My tourney run seemed ova with gb in fg range with only ten secs left. then i pulled off another kicking games miracle...Scott didnt quick kick it...i ran actually ran past the kicker came back and dove and block it. gb recovers and clock ran out..and got ball in ot and got in range and nailed the game winner (ive never missed a game winning fg attempt in oT in tournanment play). gg scott

Finals Game 1...Vs mort W 14-3 chi (red98) ova den (mort)...mort called matchup and after a den fg chi drove down and took an 7-3 lead....they added a defensive td after elway in bad condtion fumble on a sack. i go to win 14-3...

Finals Game 2 Vs mort L 17-21 sea (mort) over indy (red98)...I pull out the garbage matchup...indy and sea trade td drives. mort converts a nice 4th down 5 with a flat burner on pro set pass 2 to rb. Mort with less 50 secs in fg range b4 half fumbles but the ball trickles all ova the place and goes outofbounds...next play john l. williams fumbles agian this time colts get it. Colst get ball at half...trudue goes in to bad....i call more runs and manage to score on a pass to take 14-7 lead....once again answers to score right as 4th qtr begins. 14-14 all. Indy gets ball back andsettles for an fg. up 17-14 mort has 2mins 20 secs left in the game...and calls play pass...i try blow it my lb4 but het gets the pass off. the long loft is thrown up and he gets a cc at colt 5 yards line (note: during the loft...i sheepishly covered my face in my shirt cuz i knew het get it...the tecmo gods punished me for this). he scores with 19 secs left...colts get ball back and have 1-1 but trudeu being in bad cuases the pass to go outof bounds. gg mort congrats

I am going to have to try making this one the next time. The trophies look humongous. 

Congrats to Mort for winning and Louis in the finals. 

Congrats to Brian for making the Hall Of Fame!

Good job to Erik and Pete on running a good tournament. Watched a little bit from home on twitch. Venue looked really nice.

Edited by MattyD

• 1 month later...