New information on Man controlled defender top speed

bruddog

A man controlled defenders top speed value is cut by 7 notches at the beginning of a run play or pass play.

EXAMPLE:If a defender has 63ms his top speed will get reduced to that of a 19MS defender. 

After the runner has the ball for a period of time or once the pass has been completed and the receiver has the ball for a period of time the defenders top speed gets boosted back to two notches below their top speed. So the 63MS defender would now have a top speed of 50MS or the equivalent of 150MS

Drones don't seem to have this happen to them. 

Starting guy =63MS defender

After play start default boost down 

@29193= =  F9   =7 notches down   = 19 MS

Boost back up (After player with ball past line of scrimmage?) 

@258E4= default  = 05 notches back up   =50MS

so, what does this find really mean?  basically there is a delay before defender reaches (almost) top speed?  I need someone to put it to me bluntly.

It means that on pass plays you are slowed down 7 notches until the the receiver has the ball past the LOS. on run plays you are slowed down until the ball carrier crosses the LOS. LOS is a guess but it seems that way.

Not really all that useful just thought it was interesting.

A man controlled defenders top speed value is cut by 7 notches at the beginning of a run play or pass play.

EXAMPLE:If a defender has 63ms his top speed will get reduced to that of a 19MS defender. 

After the runner has the ball for a period of time or once the pass has been completed and the receiver has the ball for a period of time the defenders top speed gets boosted back to two notches below their top speed. So the 63MS defender would now have a top speed of 50MS or the equivalent of 150MS

Drones don't seem to have this happen to them. 

How does this work within the confines of the e to e JJ? I find in my own experience of playing that more often than not, I overrun the e to e JJ unless I am consciously aware of slowing my man defender down as a trailer to get the jumping knockdown. But if I'm a MS 63 defender, this is telling me that the fastest I can go is 50 MS. If Bo runs deep as a 75 MS guy, I shouldn't be within what, 5 yards (or pixel equivalent), of him on a streak down the field. Yet there I am in front of him rushing way past him. 

I know I'm missing something, what is it?

How does this work within the confines of the e to e JJ? I find in my own experience of playing that more often than not, I overrun the e to e JJ unless I am consciously aware of slowing my man defender down as a trailer to get the jumping knockdown. But if I'm a MS 63 defender, this is telling me that the fastest I can go is 50 MS. If Bo runs deep as a 75 MS guy, I shouldn't be within what, 5 yards (or pixel equivalent), of him on a streak down the field. Yet there I am in front of him rushing way past him. 

I know I'm missing something, what is it?

A defender's max speed = 100+MS which is how a defender catches up to any offensive player eventually given enough distance.

In other words, a max defensive speed of 63 is equivalent to 163 of offensive max speed. 

Remember that a defender with 50 ms is rquivalent to an offensive player with 150MS if that was possible.

Also remember that the fastest you can go as 63ms defenders is 19ms until the ball crosses the LOS. But that 19ms=119 offensive ms.

A defender's max speed = 100+MS which is how a defender catches up to any offensive player eventually given enough distance.

In other words, a max defensive speed of 63 is equivalent to 163 of offensive max speed. 

minus 2 notches...so a defender's max speed = 88 + MS

right?

Yes ,a man defenders max speed can now be thought of as  88+MS. Drones are still 100+MS. 

So from a nerfing/buffing/gameplay viewpoint, while defenders can have good MS, it is reduced, and the acceleration attribute (I forget which one of RP or RS is the acceleration attr) becomes more important over shorter distances to take advantage of the overclocked speed while the acceleration matters less over longer distances because you'll always be able to outrun an offensive player over a long distance. 

Obviously there is the limitations of the field in terms of plotting speed as a variable of distance/time, but over a small enough window, having a high acceleration would be slightly more important than having a high end top speed on defense. 

This is a fascinating look into some of the more elegant thoughts the "random Japanese programmers" put into the game. 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/3989-player-attribute-probabilities/

There are a number of things you can tweak with the "drone aka CPU defenders".

1. How fast they react to movement changes by the offensive player.... this is what makes it easy to zig-zag your way down the field.  This is sort of how well they swarm/chase the player. I don't think you'd want to make this much worse than it is. It seems they tightened this up a bit in the SNES version as its harder to do. 

2. Their starting speed RS and acceleration RP....this would impact how well they do it.

3. Change their top speed... this mostly would help in how fast they can chase down a player that is in front of them. If you made defender base speed the same as offense

than if say bo got past the last defender at any point on the field he could never be caught.