Japan vs USA

gamingtrucker1

First this rom was done by Drummer4god so all thanks and everything go to him for it.Its all 12 USA teams and all 12 Japan teams in 1 rom with fixed playbooks for MIN and WAS.I probably should have started a thread earlier sorry about that.Again this was all done by drummer 

Japan Us 24 - QBRun.nes

Edited by meat

OK...played a little more of this today.  I guess i underestimated a few facets of this game.  The road team is not completely white(helmets/jerseys/pants) as i thought I understood.

I was USA Giants(player 1) vs Japan Raiders (com player 2). Giants were decked out in full blue uni's/helmet and Raiders were all silver.  So I flipped the match-up in the next game and Raiders (player 1) were their normal(traditional) black and silver and the Giants were their normal(traditional) blue pants/helmets with white jerseys.  Gotta say that was pretty cool feature...although the all San Fran game i played yesterday, the 49ers on the road were in some unbearable white uni's and helmet....which i later learned when looking harder was a light shade of gold for the pants/helmet and a white jersey.

Now I'm kind of curious to see what other color combos are on this game.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Here they are......

Bears as player 1 have black pants/helmet and grey jersey.  Bears as player 2 are their traditional black pants/helmet and white jersey.

Colts as player 1 have traditional white pants/helmet and blue jersey.  Colts player 2 was all white.

The all white kinds sucks, but these new color combos are really good.  

other teams....

Dallas P1 in Grey pants/helmet with Blue jersey.  Road is in traditional grey pants/helmet and white jersey.

Seahawks P1 with traditional pink jersey and white pants/helmet.  P2 is all white

Redskins P1 is traditional red pants/helmet and white jersey.  P2 is the exact same.  The 1st screw up Ive found so far.

Dolphins P1 is traditional white pants/helmet and aqua jersey.  P2 is all white.

Vikings P1 is their pinkish purple pants/helmet and deep purple jersey.  Vikings P2 is their traditional pinkish purple pants/helmet and white jersey

Browns P1 is Black jersey and their traditional orange pants/helmet.  Browns P2 is the traditional orange pants/helmet and white Jersey.

Broncos P1 is the traditional blue pants/helmet and orange jersey.  Broncos P2 is blue pants/helmet and white jersey

49ers P1 is traditional gold(?) pants/helmet and red jersey.  49ers P2 is gold pants/helmet and white jersey.  The gold is kind of hard to see as it blends with the white.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Bears as player 1 have black pants/helmet and grey jersey.  Bears as player 2 are their traditional black pants/helmet and white jersey.

Colts player 1 was traditional white pants/helmet and blue jersey.  Colts player 2 was all white.

The all white kinds sucks, but some of these color combos are really good.  

I did a quick and easy dark uniform and white uniform for the teams.  If you have better colors for usage that won't cause uniform clashes then it can easily be changed to those.

Question here...from what I remember back in the day, the pants and helmet ALWAYS shared the same color...black pants/black helmet(Bears)....or silver pants and silver helmet (Raiders) and then the jersey could be made any color you wanted.  Bears had white jersey and Raiders had Black.  Is there a way that's been uncovered to now create more separation in what you can do with the color schemes?

Getting the Bears true home colors from those days would be Black jersey and black Helmet and white pants.  I think if each article of the uniform could have its own separate color it would be easier to make the Player 2 colors into something opposite of what Player 1 is rocking.

I did a quick and easy dark uniform and white uniform for the teams.  If you have better colors for usage that won't cause uniform clashes then it can easily be changed to those.

Indeed.  I'd have to create like a chart to make sure none appear too close to each other.

Regardless of all my rhetoric, this is FANTASTIC work!

The Browns P1 uni's remind me of the classic TSB look in the way that they remind me of the Bengals from TSB.  I gotta say i really liked the teams that took on the beefed up dark home uniform look.

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

After a little thought, a darker shade of grey would maybe help some of the road teams.  Pumping up the color of the Cowboys grey helmets and pants would probably help it not blend into white jerseys.

Seattle could probably use the Dallas treatment and give them the same exact home and road color combos.

This has got me working on a competition to play against my friend with the 24 teams.  Basically a world cup style.

24 teams placed into 4 pools of 6 teams. 

Each pool will randomly have 2 elite teams (ranked 1- 2 middle tiers (ranked 9-16) and 2 bottom tier teams (17-24)

5 games for each team in pool play...randomly set up the home(player 1) and road(P 2)..so its either 3 home or 3 road depending on luck of draw.  One of the tier 1 teams has 3 home and the other team has 3 road.  Same with the 2nd and 3rd tier teams.  

Win-loss records will determine the seeds of the 24 teams in the playoffs.  Top 8 seeds get 1st round bye.

Tie breaker would probably be something like 3 points for win vs top tier team, 2 points for middle tier, and 1 point for bottom.  Add a small percentage for every road win(Player 2).  Perhaps we could also make a metric for where you lose to which tier as well.   

Since the elite teams only have 1 game in pool play against another elite team, the tiebreaker is sorta set up for the middle tier teams to make a run at a bye.  If a middle tier team can beat the 2 elites in their pool, and maybe go like 4-1, they can probably get a bye....and would certainly deserve it.  

Lower tier 1 teams like Indy and CLE would need to take care of business to ensure a bye in the 1st round.  Would be interesting to see which middle tier team(s) could secure a bye, or if some 3rd tier team goes crazy and gets a good draw.  Like Japan LA if they didn't have to face either NYG and Japan SF. 

Stipulations I got in mind.  Not wanting same teams facing off in pool play. USA Giants vs Japan Giants for instance.   

Also not wanting Miami and Denver playing each other in more than 1 pool.  Would set up like Miami vs SEA in a different pool.  Wanting maximum number of different match-ups here.  

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad

Yeah.  And this list below is with the regular playbooks  

tier 1

SF Japan

NYG USA/JP

SF USA

CHI USA/JP

IND  USA

CLE  USA

Tier 2

CLE  JP

MIN  JP

DEN  USA/JP

SEA  USA/JP

MIA  USA/JP

Tier 3

LA  USA/JP

DAL  USA/JP

IND  JP

WSH  USA/JP

MIN  JP

I know you have the rankings of the teams down a lot better than I do, but if you are going to use this 24 team ROM for your league, the playbooks are fixed.  By fixed i mean not just Min and Wash with two legit running plays but also the blocking for Bo Jackson's run is fixed to block the top OLB and the Top DB.  Also the Pat beach play is fixed, although with the rules you play under that is not a big deal anyway.

I would think LA USA would be at least a tier 2 team, possibly a tier 1 team. NY Japan IMO is a tier 2 team and Minnesota Japan becomes a tier 1 team.  

If you are going to use the original versions then you rankings are pretty spot on. Just my opinion though.

by the way you have Min Japan in both tier 2 and tier 3.

Edited by TheFes75

Indeed...fixing the playbook really changes things for those 3 teams.  LA is probably in the elite category with Bo. 

NY Japan is still elite.  LT makes it happen, no doubt.  Also Dave Meggett has Gentry speed.  He's going to be good for free scores for NY every few games.  

Min Japan fixed would be in the elites as well.  The fixed playbook would really make about half of the middle tier a real murderers row as well.  That probably bumps down USA IND, USA CLE, and maybe even the Japan Bears.  Add in Japan Browns with really fast WRs and fast DBs and over half of the middle tier is really stacked with talent.

Those fixed playbooks would make pool play really rigorous and virtually impossible for any team to go undefeated. 

So a ton of really interesting match ups??JP MIN vs JP CLE would be a good watch.Brad when yall throwing down another season??JP MIN for the title!!Should JP SF really be off limits??Like NY in little league baseball (NES classic).Or human smoke in ultimate mortal kombat 3

So a ton of really interesting match ups??JP MIN vs JP CLE would be a good watch.Brad when yall throwing down another season??JP MIN for the title!!Should JP SF really be off limits??Like NY in little league baseball (NES classic).Or human smoke in ultimate mortal kombat 3

No.  49ers can whoop a lot of the teams, but Giants and Bears can certainly hang with em.    

• 3 weeks later...

TONS of games to recap from this weekend...I'll drop those this week.  Our biggest observations were as follows.

Japan MIN with the fixed playbooks is really damn good.  Steve Jordan in pass 2 is stupid.  They did get crushed by the USA Giants 15-7, but Nate pretty much was out of his mind with his playcalls for the 2nd and 3rd qtr, and when that happens you got no shot.  Minnesota's fatal flaw is a horrible punter.  Overall they are about on par with the big boys, from the sample size we had, but the punting issue is a massive check mark.  Especially against the Giants...also LT is the perfect defender for Minnesota even in the fixed version.  

I was MIN in another game and HAMMERED Japan SF, something like 24-0.  It was an early game and Nate was very rusty.  Nate had forgotten about Charles Haley down there, and was using like Ronnie Lott, which is a bad option to defend Pass 1.  Nate tossed like 5 picks that game, and Millard had a 60 yard pick 6.....a rare one where the defender snags it on a non-play pick and just outraces the opposition to the endzone.  Ive seriously seen that play happen maybe 5 times in about 700-800 games of Tecmo Bowl.  We'll replay those games next time.

Japan MIN did outlast Japan CHI in OT....our most epic game of the weekend, but the Bears have the goods to combat MIN, because Neal Anderson is a beast master.   

Overall based on what LT did, and what Charles haley could have done had he been used, NYG and SF are easily the best defenses to stop Japan MIN.  In Japan, Id go SF, NYG, and then right now a toss up between CHI and MIN.  Maybe leaning towards MIN.  Those teams are REALLY evenly matched up.  Both have a good top DE, top DB, and LB/DT protect guy you can use at times.  Both have weak punters.  CHI has the edge at RB, and I think things are pretty close in the passing game.  CHI's playbook while conservative is really set up to not throw picks.  Even with some elite speed at TE, I think theres some windows to throw in for MIN, and more mistakes could be made.     

Played Japan MIN vs USA WSH.  WSH had no offense for MIN, BUT again, a dominant bottom side defender in Charles Mann did a lot to hold MIN in check.  Nate got punt sacked on a play where the computer defender decided to be superman resulting in 3 for the Skins.  Then he tossed a pick later and WSH won 6-0, but they were not exactly  the better team.

USA MIN with fixed playbook.  Really pales in comparison.  Darrin Nelson is really little help and they are a middle of the pack squad there at best.  Kinda like CLE USA.  Decent passing attack, shitty run game.   

More thoughts coming later.

Putting together a list of where the fixed playbook teams shake out in my mind.  

This isn't a definitive ranking, but more so based off where everyone falls into tiers for when we run that 24 team competition.

Some really hard decisions had to be made with who makes the 2nd tier and who is dropped to the 3rd tier  Easily the toughest tier to gauge was the 2nd, especially with so little experience with these fixed playbook teams.   

Tier 1

SF Japan/USA

NYG USA/JP

CHI USA/JP

IND  USA

MIN JP

--I would say that I feel like everyone here belongs 100% in this Tier.  We did learn that MIN's piss poor punter really hampers what that team could do.  If they had an elite punter, this team is near the top, but for now I think they reside in the lower middle to bottom of the tier.  Japan NYG is sinking in our ratings.  Solid 1st tier for sure, but no Bavaro, and less on D is hurting them big time.  Indy has THE FORMULA to win anytime anywhere!  They just don't blow your socks off, but they get it done!   These teams are very complete from top to bottom.  What's important to know is that their weaknesses are typically over shadowed by their greatness elsewhere in most games.

Tier 2

CLE  USA/JP

WSH USA

DEN  USA/JP

LA USA

SEA  USA

MIN USA

--Browns playbook, punting, and defense make them a lock, along with McNeil KR on USA.   --Broncos RBs and Mecklenberg, along with super fast Ken Bell (Japan KR) get them in. 

--LA USA version has far better QB, and faster skill guys, besides Bo.   --WSH USA has really great defense.  Their fixed offense is still very easy to defend.  Their punter is really good.

--SEA USA Fredd Young, and Bozworth to lesser extent allows you to be versatile on defense.  Fredd is such a superstar in Tecmo.  

--MIN USA much like WSH is hampered by bad RB, but MIN has far better passing game than WSH, but with less on defense and much worse punter.

I feel pretty good about getting tier 2 correct.  Unsure about MIN though.  These teams all have some pronounced holes, and some fatal flaws, but they have all have 1 thing in common.  They have a form of excellence somewhere on the field that poses a major challenge for just about any team they face.    

Tier 3

MIA  USA/JP

SEA JP

LA  JP

DAL  USA/JP

IND  JP

WSH  JP

--MIA is close to 2nd tier with either team, but with how we can defend them these days, its sooo hard to win with MIA and you damn near need to play perfect on offense. 

--SEA without Fredd Young really hurts the defense.  Porter is good just like Bickett(IND/USA) but they have a lot of holes everywhere else, and he's not enough to lead them.

--LA Japan..QB sucks, and WR/TE are ungodly slow, and Steve Smith doesn't scare you like Allen.  Despite Bo Jackson being faster, they appear too easy to defend, and they have NO defense.

--DAL USA is decent on offense, but sucks on D.  In JP version offense sucks as well

--IND Japan doesn't have Dickerson and thats such a huge loss.  

-WSH Japan loses a lot of good defensive firepower, and seems worse on offense.

The best here in tier 3 are not teams you're exceedingly confident about if you need to win a big game, but in the right match-up can be pretty decent.  Both MIA's and SEA really fit this bill, as the obvious teams that are most capable.  From there i feel I distinct drop off.  The bottom part is nothing but teams that need to play super well and probably get a little to a lot of help if they are going to win.  

Good read and agree with these rankings.I know NY/Japan is losing ground but having LT really carriers that defense.Brad will yall be using this ROM in your season stuff??Good to see MIN/Japan up there,they have some true playmakers on defense.Once we really play this ROM alot i plan to get it on cart,just wonder what label to make??

Edited by meat

Yeah I think after Season 6 were going to start to integrate it into season mode  It'll still be only a 12 team league, but random draw will determine which version of a team gets used.  Then the next season flip back to the other version of the team.  it'll create a nice mish-mash of opponents.  

In the meantime, were going to set up the 24 team competition for this summer.  I'm getting married in like 5 weeks.  So once that happens, my wife will be giving me a weekend off and I'll be set for a long "man date" with Nate so we can get down to some serious Tecmo for about a day and half straight.  He's got a wife and 4 kids, but they are usually pretty cool about us having Tecmo Bowl marathons.

Tier 2

MIN USA

--MIN USA much like WSH is hampered by bad RB, but MIN has far better passing game than WSH, but with less on defense and much worse punter.

I feel pretty good about getting tier 2 correct.  Unsure about MIN though.  These teams all have some pronounced holes, and some fatal flaws, but they have all have 1 thing in common.  They have a form of excellence somewhere on the field that poses a major challenge for just about any team they face.    

Tier 3

MIA  USA/JP

--MIA is close to 2nd tier with either team, but with how we can defend them these days, its sooo hard to win with MIA and you damn near need to play perfect on offense. 

Talked to a buddy the other night. We decided to move USA Minnesota out of the 2nd tier.  Bad punter and slow RB, and they don't have nearly as dominant of a defense as Washington does.  The passing attack is better than Washington, but its not a great difference better.  

The logical choice was to add a Miami team, so we went with Japan Miami.  USA Miami has slugs at WR and TE.  Japan version has a very fast Duper, and fast TE with Edmunds.  Both versions of MIA have a great punter with Roby.  Japan MIA also has John Offerdahl as the top middle LB.  I think that works in their favor.  

This rom and the discussion prompted me to set up the USA vs Japan competition with my buddy Nate.  We'll be getting this started probably early/mid June.  We'll probably play a style where if you win, you have choice of which team you want in the next game.

We got the 4 pools set up for the competition in World Cup type format.  Each pool has 2 teams from tiers 1, 2, and 3.

Each team plays 5 games in the pool.  From there the teams gets seeded 1-24 in the playoff, with the top 8 receiving 1st round byes.    

The random draw laid out like this......

Pool 1 

NYG Japan 2-3(2-3 denotes 2 home games/3 road games.  This also determines where you play the other team in your pool.  Giants are at Indy.)

IND  USA 3-2

WSH USA  3-2

DEN  Japan  2-3

MIN  USA  3-2

LA  Japan  2-3

---Really sets up nicely for Indy to win the pool if they beat NYG in Indy.

Features weaker MIN/LA versions at bottom, so that's a plus for Indy.  Japan DEN is their best version.  This one overall is pretty interesting with best version of WSH as well.  Mike Shanahan is bound to call a hot game for the Japan Raiders and knock someone off.  NYG Japan is their worst version for sure, but LT is also good enough to win this damn pool.  I still think fixed USA WSH will be a crappy offense, but they have a decent shot against slow Japan Banks and Marshall.  Things might get crazy in this pool, but I also see a whole lot of unspectacular offense that Indy can blue collar the hell out of and win some 3-0 games.

Pool 2

CHI USA 2-3

NYG  USA 3-2

DEN  USA 3-2

MIA  Japan 2-3

WSH  Japan 2-3

SEA Japan 3-2

--Giants are the clear cut favorite here.  MIA is better in Japan version.  WSH and SEA are worse.  Bears have a shot here, but obviously need to win on road at NYG to win this.  That game probably decides this pool.  I don't foresee a lot of drama here.  MIA intrigues me here a little.  Too bad they didn't get DEN at home.  Duper and TE Edmunds are fast.  Offerdahl is a top MLB here.  They should beat WSH/SEA.  Get 1 more win and at least be in the running for a bye perhaps if things fall elsewhere. Biggest problem for the Bears is that they won't get any help here against the Giants.  Bears will need to probably go 5-0 to win this.  I don;t see the Giants losing to any other team in the pool.

Pool 3

SF  Japan 2-3

CHI Japan 3-2

CLE USA  3-2

SEA USA  2-3

MIA USA 3-2

DAL USA 2-3

--Japan 49ers @ CHI is the game here for sure.  CLE, DAL, and SEA all have their best version in this pool, which could make things really hard for the Bears.  SF should eat up the rest of the pool as Fredd Young doesn't translate to playing SF very much for instance.  SF will crush CLE's offense and really devastate Dallas and their crappy defense.  SF should go 5-0, with a 33% chance of losing to the Bears, although the home and road shows they will meet the Bears in Chicago.  Seems to have lock written all over it, and if they lose to the Bears, CHI could very well slip up somewhere else giving SF the pool.      

Pool 4

SF  USA 3-2

MIN  Japan 2-3

CLE Japan 2-3

LA  USA 3-2

DAL  Japan 3-2

IND  Japan 2-3

--MIN @ SF will be very intriguing.  Fixed LA might have a legit shot here to make a run at it.  I think MIN is still the odds on favorite to win this thing, despite playing @ SF.  While MIN/SF may be a toss up, I see MIN Destroying CLE/LA.  Might be dicey for SF in those games vs CLE/LA.  San Fran also doesn't have a good bottom side defender to slow down Steve Jordan, so MIN should have the advantage in that match-up.  

--Random thoughts overall

USA Colts draw the weakest tier 1 offense possible in NYG Japan.  Both Bears teams get saddled with the toughest tier 1 games possible9USA NYG & Japan SF).  USA SF lucks out not having to play Japan MIN on the road, although I still feel its a MIN win anyways.

I think 2 teams from tier 2 will play well enough to get a 1st round bye.  Tier 2 teams that I think have the best shot at getting a bye and possibly even winning their pools...  Japan DEN in pool 1 with IND and NYG is in my mind a decent option.  Japan DEN is their best version with big time kick returner.  The other is USA LA in pool 4.  If they can get SF to beat MIN then beat SF at home and take care of business elsewhere they got a shot to do some damage in the playoffs.  A 4-1 team is getting a bye.  It would also mean MIN is unable to get a tier 1 win, where LA is and that could be very harmful in the tiebreaker situation overall.  The darkhorse, but still pretty legit is USA SEA in pool 3.  Just off the bat they have 3 very winnable games with CLE/MIA/DAL.  They do need to upset Japan CHI though.  I think they got a decent chance at 4-1.   

Outside of CHI USA vs NYG USA, the tier 1 games sorta lack that big time flavor.  USA NYG vs Japan MIN would have been huge.  Or MIN Japan vs SF Japan.  USA NYG vs Japan SF.  Those match-ups will come soon enough in the playoffs, just a question of how early.  Still would have liked to see more mega match-ups in the pool play.  But we like to roll randomly when setting these up, so it happens.  

What really intrigues me will be who can make a Cinderella run out of the tier 2 teams.  Whoever gets a 1st round bye with a good pool showing most likely gets a nice draw/match-up in round 2 (obviously a winnable game). Then you're down to 8 teams left.  After that pull off an upset and a tier 2 team is sitting in the final 4. That's probably as deep as one could go though, but with the right match-up anything can happen.  

Of course a tier 2 team getting a 7 or 8 seed means they get a pretty decent 10 seed type and then faces a 1 or 2 seed next.  But again, its all in the match-up....just like the NCAA tourney.  A team like Japan Denver drawing USA Indy and Japan Chicago in their half of the bracket has a fighting chance.  Put em against Japan SF and USA NYG and they are dead.  

I've gotten the schedule done, but haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb just yet.  There are some crucial swing games that will be likely decided based on home or road.    

Edited by Tecmo-Mad-Brad