TSB vs. Tecmo Super Bowl III

TecSpectre

I LOVE my Retron3. The only knock is that the audio emulation of this NOAC isn't 100% perfect. If you really, really care about perfect pitch and tone of the originals, it would be a knock. Otherwise, this thing rules hardcore. Original controllers are a must.

as long as I can understand the words "Hut", "Touchdown", and "Prepare to Qualify"

I LOVE my Retron3. The only knock is that the audio emulation of this NOAC isn't 100% perfect. If you really, really care about perfect pitch and tone of the originals, it would be a knock. Otherwise, this thing rules hardcore. Original controllers are a must.

1. TSB gameplay & graphics much better than III.

2. TSB teams and ratings are GOLD.

3. TSB keeps stats good enough for me.

4.  when it comes to a pick up game with a human being, TSB has more than enough complexity to offer.  but it is still a very "arcade" type of game.

--

I just popped TSB III in the SNES the other day.  I lasted like 4 plays and ejected the cart with force, not caring where it landed.  III Graphics suck, music is gay, it seems to drag and take too many button presses for such a shitty game.

--

Ha hA Ha!!!  'EJECTED THE CART WITH FORCE'.....now that's CLASSIC.  I once ejected my Tecmo Superbowl III so hard that it flew out and hit my cousin in the eye!!!  Now he can only see one side of the field, so he's eazy to beat when we play 1 on 1.

Here's my take on it.............TSB III has the WORST man on man glitch EVER!!!  The ability to get 12 onside kicks in a row...plus, you can't even see the snow falling...That game hasn't been allowed in 1 on 1 comp 4 years out here...There is a reason no tourney's use this game.................................................verdict...............................................TSB I.

Also, I consider that HP actually matters alone to be worth the jump from TSB to TSB III, but interestingly, I've heard some hardcore TSB players express their dislike for that. I respect the opinion, but I don't agree w/ it. In my estimation HP actually does something in TSB III, while in TSB it really isn't much of a factor (thumb speed is).

I'm one of those who doesn't care for the HP in TSB III...   They made hitting power so dominant that Craig Heyward is a top 3 RB in the game.

I also thought the weather effects were done poorly in TSB SNES and TSB III, in addition to the sounds (ie. pre-snap hut that sounds like a redneck).  And just the overall feel/fluidity of the game cannot be matched with the NES version.  And the dive plays on the SNES games were lame.  Overall I still enjoyed the SNES versions (except for TSB 2)...  The worst little drink coaster ever was the Playstation version of TSB.  What a train wreck that was!

I completely disagree about the HP factor being so good it makes Heyward top 3.. Craig Heyward is kind of a joke. He's so slow that almost any competent player should be able to dive tackle him to almost no gain.

I'll take RB Bills over him any day. And they're about as polar opposite at RB as you can get in III

That being said... HP is definitely more of a factor in III than it is in the original. Thumb speed is much less important in III.

It just means that if you are using a guy with 13 HP... that you don't run into people. And if you're trying to tackle a guy with significantly more HP than you, dive.

Edited by TecSpectre

I'm referring more against the CPU, I hardly ever played TSB III against human opponents.  But my point is, the HP was overblown.  Despite his speed, it made Heyward (and a few others) absolute beasts because you could run right up the gut for big gainers consistently.

I don't really factor the computer in. Beating the computer is almost aways childs play. There is no scaling like in nes tsb. Though the really good teams will sometimes play in crack mode and make the game really challenging. Winning 40-50+ to 0 in 3 min quarters is pretty easy to do with regularity.

And while HP can be nice... In my experience, you can break off bigger runs with a guy like RB Bills than you can with a guy like Heyward. Heyward is the best of the slow bruisers though... but if HP is your thing, than Natrone Means is the way to go.

• 1 year later...