TSB vs. Tecmo Super Bowl III

TecSpectre

Hands down if SNES1 had the features of 3, was a little quicker pace, and with an easier ability to run it would give NES a run for its money.

Tecmo Super Bowl 3 was a different animal for a different time.  Those of you that talk about the sprites moving slower really need to play it on a real console, the SNES emulators don't do it justice.

When I say speed, I am not talking about sprite animations. I own SNES TSB3 and I can assure you that it does not play as fast as the NES version. There is no comparison.

I always felt the sprites in tsb3 were jerky. Having two playbooks that took another click to get too noticeably slows the game down

And a good number of the gameplay features can be implemented in nes tsb via hacks.

I think I've said this a number of times but a lot of the hacks out there have basically turned TSB NES into TSB III in terms of features but with the NES engine.

I always enjoyed playing TSB III for the SNES over the years.  Otherwise there wouldn't be a forum about it.

To me, SNES TSB 1 always stands far and away the best of the franchise.  They basically took the good aspects of the NES version, improved upon them, and perfected it.  I still get goosebumps every time I hear the SNES 1 music.

I like TSB 3 for SNES and it definitely appeals to me in a slightly different way.  While knowing your players is key in any version of Tecmo, you really have to pay attention to your matchups on the field in TSB 3.  It involves a little more thought, but reaction time is not as important.  It has its own things going for it.

This totally agre with Bad Moon Rison

SNES TSB 1 is probably the best one overall when you look at it from a standpoint.

In the past few months I've been reeducating myself on tsb for the nes. Now, I generally don't play online versions of games. In my experience, there are delays, and minor differences in the way the game feels when you play it. So when I'm talking about these games, I'm talking about them on console play. Because emulator play, by comparison and in my opinion, sucks.

The jump backwards from III to nes has been fairly easy. The reason I've found this to be is that the nes game is in almost every way, a watered down version of III. Player movement isn't all that dissimilar. The concepts of the game are generally the same.

There are just less options in the nes game.

Now... I've also made the connection that taking a person who is deeply ingrained in tsb for the nes and trying to have them move to III would be vastly more difficult. Especially if they've been playing the nes version for years and years.

Is the game different than the nes version? Sure. Of course it is. It's a different, newer version of the game. Is it terrible? I don't see it. At all.

There are people on here reacting like anything different is the anti-christ. How after 4 minutes they popped it onto their floor to be forgotten. Really? mail that S^&* to me. Please.

III offers so much more as a game than the original. The only advantage I've found to the original in the last few months is the player base and the available information on the game online. Strategy guides. Tournaments.

Then you get people saying that you can hack the rom to make it more like III... But that only works if you're willing to accept online play... and even then, why would you change the game play experience of something you think is already the pinnacle of the game?

I think the point I'm trying to make is fairly clear. I think that III is the overall better game. Gameplay isn't all that different and it offers tons more options.

The gist being that nes tsb is a watered down version of snes tsb III. And that I think most people who don't like III that do like tsb, don't like it only because it's different and not the game they love so much... when it's very much the game, but better.

dude, SNES TSB III is not NES TSB with upgrades or more water - that is wack.  totally different field view and "physics".  

I happen to prefer the view, graphics, physics, and relative simplicity of the NES TSB.

1. In-between the game actually playing on the field, the menu screens and blackouts in-between make the play-time nearly double (at least it feel like it!)
2. The sound effects / lack of music, I do not prefer.
3. The view of the field and how it affects controller use in comparison to the more North & South view of the NES TSB.
4. The sprites look washed out and muddy.

TSB 3 is not the superior game. The view-change on the field is bad enough for me to say it's not even a Tecmo Super Bowl game. It's like some long-lost cousin. Mostly anyone who prefers TSB3 does so because they spent more time with it than the original TSB back in the day.

I think the point I'm trying to make is fairly clear. I think that III is the overall better game. Gameplay isn't all that different and it offers tons more options.

The gist being that nes tsb is a watered down version of snes tsb III. And that I think most people who don't like III that do like tsb, don't like it only because it's different and not the game they love so much... when it's very much the game, but better.

Both games have their perfections and flaws. I won't say the nes version is bad. I started on those versions... (TB actually plays better to me, but the lack of players makes it too arcadey for me.) It really does just comes down to feel and what you like. The guts of the game are the same (many of our hacks were found using nes coding) but the way it comes out on screen is vastly different. If I could take some of the better parts of TSB1 (either from the nes or snes version) I would start with less menus. That really is, imo, the biggest flaw of TSB3. I would say this though, when me and my bro Cane55 looked into what game we wanted to hack, graphics and options won out. We saw more potiental in the SNES version than in the NES version on size alone. Weve been working on changing some of the "flaws" of TSB3 to make it more appealing. As we got deeper in we realised that TSB3 has great features that Tecmo just came up short on their effort. Some of our biggest finds we hardly changed coding at all. The Tecmo team that created the game didnt seem to be football fans. Example: Punt Kick? Other than Chris Berman who would call it that?

TSB3 on the genisis is actually better. You see I believe 10-15 more yards on screen. But the Gen compresses graphics and there are not many tools to help with decompressing. You have to know which style was used when compressing. Saying they used one of the 4 popular compression styles. I would love to hack the Gens version over all versions. It plays faster, better cut scene graphics... but we just could figure out the compression process.

Nice write up, Drunken. You guys have brought any legitimacy to TSB III that there is around these parts, as far as I'm concerned. If someone were able to more heavily modify TSB I, that game, I could get into potentially.

The reality is for me, which I'm sure much is nostlagic, is that everything about TSB I (minus the lack of game options found in following iterations), is better to me. I dig the music, I dig the more basic sounds (since the more complicated ones if future updates actually sounded worse to me), I dig the speed of the game, I dig the size of the screen / players, nearly everything. And to argue about which has better looking graphics for a series of games that are all over 15-years old is redundant to me.

The only thing that really bothers me about NES TSB is the clipping issue of two many players being on the same line-of-sight.

By graphics and options I mean moreso in the way of hacking potiental. I agree that TSB3's graphics are borderline monkey poop. But hacking wise I knew I could do more with. My graphics hack on player animations reduces the shadowing, using the original TSB as my muse. I added slight details that the original could not do due to 4 bit color pallettes. I also added the cell shading style but that was inspired by Super Mario World. But I tried to think "if TSB NES graphics guy had more to work with, what would he do?"

Edited by drunken_honkey

By graphics and options I mean moreso in the way of hacking potiental. I agree that TSB3's graphics are borderline monkey poop. But hacking wise I knew I could do more with. My graphics hack on player animations reduces the shadowing, using the original TSB as my muse. I added slight details that the original could not do due to 4 bit color pallettes. I also added the cell shading style but that was inspired by Super Mario World. But I tried to think "if TSB NES graphics guy had more to work with, what would he do?"

And you guys really did perform a kind of beautiful plastic surgery on the game. Well done. It only it hadn't been for COLLEGE FOOTBALL. ;)

I've found the genesis version to be worse than the snes version.

The main reasons for this are that HP functions more like it does on nes tsb, where it's more about thumb speed than the HP stat. In addition to that there are some glitches in the genesis version of TSBIII that are likely to cause you to need to reset the game. Namely, punt returning. The comp players will sometimes reach the punt returner before the ball and cause the ball to hit the ground and not be able to be picked up, requiring a game reset. Returning as a whole is basically impossible in the genesis version.

I do agree that the game feels better in gameplay than the snes version, but on a whole. I think the snes version is the better game.

TSB3 on the genisis is actually better. You see I believe 10-15 more yards on screen. But the Gen compresses graphics and there are not many tools to help with decompressing. You have to know which style was used when compressing. Saying they used one of the 4 popular compression styles. I would love to hack the Gens version over all versions. It plays faster, better cut scene graphics... but we just could figure out the compression process.

Considering the wack AI and the horrible music I disagree.  

If the computer has the "over the top" play it will be compelled to run it 12.5% of the time.

After running the over the top and landing on the ground and laying there, the player can fumble the ball.

All of this while playing some of the worst game music ever created.

Have you read up over at the NHL94.com forum about Genesis compression?

Considering the wack AI and the horrible music I disagree.

If the computer has the "over the top" play it will be compelled to run it 12.5% of the time.

After running the over the top and landing on the ground and laying there, the player can fumble the ball.

All of this while playing some of the worst game music ever created.

Have you read up over at the NHL94.com forum about Genesis compression?

Yeah we looked into all that. Also into Sonic. Downloaded a lot of different material pertaining to compression. Had no luck figuring it out.

Retron3 will treat you right.

do you give this system two thumbs up?  price seems good, I will be using my own stock system controllers.  but dude, if this thing will really save the space of three systems, I will BITE.