Harlan, IA - 02/02/13 - 3rd Annual Tecmo Tourney

thedotz

Ok boys, we are having our 3rd annual Tecmo Tourney in Harlan, IA on February 2nd.  This is hosted at The Lounge Bar in Harlan which is located at 1005 Chatburn Ave.  

We run 2-4 tv's depending on turn out.  2 of the TV's are 8 foot and 12 foot screens.   It is a double elimination tournament.  We use pretty similar rules to Tecmo Madison with the coin flip and team selections.  This is a fun tournament in which we get anywhere from 9-15 people normally.  We would love to make it a little bigger.

We seed people in the double elimination bracket by drawing cards at the beginning of the tournament. This is the fairest way, with no favoritism.

We will start at 2pm and the bar opens at noon for anyone that would like to practice before hand.  We also have a practice night February 1st for anyone interested.

The cost is $20 and will be payed back 100% to the top 3.   Top 4 if there is more than 15 players.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thanks for looking and hope you can make the trip to Harlan on Feb. 2nd

Brian Dotzler

Edited by thedotz

I knew a Brian Dotzler from Boone. Same guy? I'd love to come play that. I'm going to be in Lincoln on the 19th and Madison too, let me see if I can get the "spouse pass" for 3 Saturdays in 7 weeks. --Tony J.

I'm with ya there.  I went to Waterloo last month, Lincoln is in a couple weeks, and my flight is booked for Madtown.  Might have to get the wife some flowers and a pedicure before I ask.  :)

Yep, same guy I moved too Harlan 7 years ago, lived in Boone for 23 years. This is a just show up tourney. We start sign up at 12 and go to 2. First game at 2:30.

We also are going to have a trophy for the winner and your name goes on the Bar Trophy.

Last years championship game was between Fulcher Culture and myself and ended with a 7-3 win Colts vs Pats by Fulcher Culture.

Dotz and I have been doing this tournament for a couple years. Harlan is located 10 miles north of I-80 (mile marker 40) on U.S. 59. It's an easy drive from Omaha or Des Moines. There is an ATM at the bar if needed and it is "Happy Hour" until 6 p.m. that day. Therfore domestic beers are like $1.25 and mixers are usually less than $2.00. Although drinking is not required, it seems to make the play much more enjoyable.

My wife and I will likely bring some sort of food for players to enjoy free of charge. If you are going to play and are going to be late, just call the bar phone that day and ask for Dotz or Mike, 712-755-5050. As Dotz mentioned, we will have a trophy for the winner. We hope to see you all February 2nd.

Just a update,  If we have more than 12 players, we will do a round robin for seeding.  Mike and myself played in Lincoln and enjoyed the the format.  Driving a hour to play it was nice to play 4 games at a minimum.  

So less than 12 It will be a straight Double Elim. Tourney.

12-16 It will be 4 Player Round Robin for Seeding then Double Elim Bracket

16+  It will be 4 Player Round Robin for Seeding, then Single Elim in First Round, Then Double Elim starting at 2nd Round.

If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Dotz

We never know for sure how many people are coming.  I know of over 10 that are coming, a couple are from Des Moines, and we got 6 people that I play with that always come.  Mike and me that put it on were both in Lincoln.  Talked with moulds33 in Lincoln and he is coming if it don't snow the day of.  Also talked with a couple more people in Lincoln and a couple of them are planning on coming up.

I am really hoping for 12+ people so we can do a round robin this year.  I enjoyed playing that style in Lincoln. 

That would be wonderful, Travis. It never hurts to have an extra system in case we'd have problems with a Nintendo (not that that has EVER happened). It's less than a week away. The weather forecast is calling for mid 40's temp and no rain or snow.

Again we wanted to remind everyone that payout is 100%. We are bringing some food to enjoy during your visit and a trophy will be given to the winner. We're looking forward to a fun-filled Saturday with lots of action packed games.

We'll be sure to put some sort of blog on here early next week recapping the tourney. It should be a great time filled with food and drinks. We've just sprayed down our original NES systems and Tecmo SB games with some 'deer antler spray' to ensure they can survive any injuries from a hard fought day of Tecmo.  

Hot off the presses, congrats on the all-Nebraska Finals

Palik "TecmoBunny" wins twice over Moulds33 in the Double Elim tourney including a Double OT win for the championship.

It was a great game by both and a great turn out.  We had 18 players from Harlan, Exira, Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines.  

Overall It was a great tourney and hope more come next year.

Thanks to all that came.

Dotz

Oh ya,

I will post the spreadsheet tomorrow of the whole bracket.

Dotz