Madison, WI - 03/02/13 - TecmoIX: Marino Royale

holzy11

How was the field of 64 seeding done last year? Was it still point differential. Sorry I don't remember. Just a bit suprised to see daboys end up as a 5 seed in the same 1/8 of a bracket as regulator bg skunker and sconnie. Not that other brackets aren't tough but that looked a brutal 8 man subset compared to 1-2 others. 

Seeding was based upon record first, then point differential. Unfortunately, most of the power players in that region ended up in the top 1/2 of the region. Not much we can do about that, especially since we already seed within each region as opposed to seeding the whole field 1-64. Seeding within each region at least ensures that none of the four regions are devoid of power players. I suppose we could seed by 8-man pods, but that's probably getting a bit too close to scripting the tournament. But yeah, that was a brutal 8-man pod.  

Another ideal I wanted to pass to the directors is trying to get a deal at one of the local hotels for the tourney.  Even without that a lot of us discussed trying to rent the same hotel friday or saturday.  The high stakes back alley tecmo has got to happen somewhere.

We'll look into this. And the term you're looking for is "street Tecmo." 

I even said it in the first post I made, my intentions were not to stir the pot, complain, or moan ...   

No worries BradBears. We know you're an alright guy. 

Can we get to the part...when we start predicting/arguing whose going to WIN LOL. Im going to stay humble this year...lol

I've got some ideas in this regard. It’d be cool to do NCAA tournament-style predictions once we release the groups. For instance, guys submit a list of their Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4, Final, and Champion. Points could be awarded on a sliding scale (i.e. 1 point for a correct Sweet 16 prediction, 2 points for a correct Elite 8 prediction, etc) and we could give a prize to whoever accumulates the most points. There's a lot to iron out here, so we'll see.  

This tournament is an absolute minefield. Winning your bracket is going to be essential with the talent assembled. For crying out loud I was a 5 seed last year and got SonofPatBeach as my Rd. of 64 opponent. There are going to be no easy games after your first DE group bracket game, and even that one could be tough considering new players and unknowns that could have skill. High pressure Tecmo baby.

Edited by Dotdon

awesome about the hotel.  You guys are big time now.  Now all you need to arrange a little half time entertainment while you seed the brackets after the rounds formerly known as pool play.  Just claim there will be camera's and we could get well anything.  In all seriousness filling that period of time could serve as a nice stress release.

Holzbauer Bros (and any others involved in planning), you've done it again, you magnificent bastards. I've been waiting for this since my meltdown last year (failing to advance as a 1-seed because of a shitty loss and point differential). I spent a good amount of time this offseason in the Himalayas, getting to the core of my soul with my Mind-Sherpa Hong-Sing. I'm ready to come back to the tournament with high hopes... and inevitably crash and burn again. (Hope I can make it this year. In the midst of a move from Chicago to NYC)

For what it's worth:

I like the new format. I *do* want to see an actual visual layout of what it would look like (all the pods, then the main bracket, etc) at some point. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, 24 groups x top 2 = 48 guys. So, how do you play that down? Or do you take 16 wildcards from beyond those to make up 64? I'm patient with an answer though, because Chet made a good point on his follow-up post about how until they know actual numbers of attendance, they will have to adjust from there.

I'm fine with the bump in entry, too. I'd be cool w/ it if they went up to $50 even. It's exactly like the World Series of Poker. It used to be a $5K (I think) buy-in for like 50 years, then poker got popular and all sorts of riff-raff started entering. So they bumped up the entry to 10k to make sure people were serious about it. Totally fine with that...  

In fact, (definitely not stirring the pot or anything, but I thought about this as an idea for future years) I'd even like it if they managed a way to do an "A" tourney and "B" tourney. "A" entry would be $50 and "B" would be $25, but the catch is you can only enter one. So the big guns would have to decide if they want to try to have an easier route in the B tourney for less payout, or play tougher competition in the A tourney for a bigger payout. This also allows people who are new to the tourney or know they're not likely to make a deep run against power players to enter at lower stakes, and get a feel for the Madison tourney for a year before maybe trying to up their game for future tourneys, and you'd still have the "big boy" tourney where guys fight for all the marbles (this would be the big trophy, etc). I think it's an easy way to accommodate all players who want to enter this/a tourney, and then you could bring back standard group play, etc so guys are still guaranteed 3 games.

Edited by hoigaard

Strategically a big gun would probably expect to win more in the B tourney. Unless of course everyone thought the same way in which case youd go to A.

"I'm not a great fool so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you"

Thumbs up if you get that reference and how it applies here. :)

Well yeah, you would tinker w/ entry fees and payouts to make it worthwhile for power players to give it a run in the A tourney. That could all be worked out. And certainly there'd be more prestige if you won/placed in the A tourney rather than trying to capitalize in the B.

I like the reference. To combat that dance of guys jockeying for which tourney they'd join, you could do a blind entry, so nobody knows who signed up for which tourney until the brackets are announced (unless guys announced it on a board or something).

But again, this is all shit-against-a-wall brainstorming if they wanted to switch it up in the future.

Ah the princess bride..... a classic masterpiece and the best romantic comedy to date IMO. Kudos to you for the reference! Are you showing this year Bru? 1500 for first would surely cover all the "costs" involved in the trip. You can't put a price on unalloyed tecmo entertainment.

Hello all. It is Monkimanmanmonk, aka internet, aka kingsoby1's little bro, aka kingsoby1's not so little bro. I am looking forward to dusting off my fingers and kicking some butt with buttom mashing and JJ's all day.

Hopefully I make the registration, as I have to plan a flight back too. If I don't make it, good luck to all.

Has anyone ever talked about making the Right A run play illegal in competitive play?

Can't speak to other tournaments, but our tournament has not. It's a good play, sure, but can be limited with good defense and play calling.

Hello all. It is Monkimanmanmonk, aka internet, aka kingsoby1's little bro, aka kingsoby1's not so little bro. I am looking forward to dusting off my fingers and kicking some butt with buttom mashing and JJ's all day.

Hopefully I make the registration, as I have to plan a flight back too. If I don't make it, good luck to all.

Many years ago, when I was a young man, I spent a day playing Tecmo in Wisconsin Dells with a number of Tecmo enthusiasts from Milwaukee, Madison, and Minnesota in what was known as the inaugural Tecmo Ryder Cup. There I met a young man by the name of Taha (I was told), brother of Sobhi. During gameplay, Sobhi stood behind Taha, and coached him through some impressive victories. Are you that same person? Was it all a dream?

I'd even like it if they managed a way to do an "A" tourney and "B" tourney. "A" entry would be $50 and "B" would be $25, but the catch is you can only enter one.

Actually, we spent many, many hours discussing a format like this for Tecmo IX, but ultimately opted against it. Within the Tecmo Madison braintrust, there was lots of disagreement about (i) how to determine who is in A bracket vs. the B, (ii) whether the B champion would get a shot at the A champion, and a lot of other miscellaneous details about splitting the tournament field. Believe me, we've considered and discussed ad nauseum just about every format you can imagine for the Madison tournament, particularly Marino Royale. This isn't to say that we won't move in this direction in the future someday, but we just couldn't make it work for this year's tourney.

Edited by sonofpatbeach

I recall a tense matchup in the doubles format between myself and Buzzsaw against the Youssef boys too. The fire and passion that kingsoby1 brought to the matchup was impressive since it was all directed at his brother. 

OK thanks for the response .. to answer Bo the play is over powered meaning many times even when you pick the play it can still make yards and at times can be a big play. I believe it happen twice in the final for of the Madison tourney two years ago ... we are having a north Alabama tourney on Feb 23rd and I brought up the subject during planning .. its almost the offenses version of the Jerry Ball slide through

R + A is overrated..... I run it maybe 2 or 3 times a game (if that) and have great success. It's more of a decoy play for me. If you don't pick it, you can stop it for 8-10 yards and live to play another down. If your lucky, you can stop it for < 5 But hey, maybe that's just because I out tap the world.

I read through this and the emails sent out and haven't seen this yet.  What time tomorrow does registration open? With all the new people joining I want to be sure I get a seat.

For what it's worth (which admittedly isn't much), I love the idea of stretching this into a two day event and upping the amount of the entry fee.  

On a side note, it's really amazing to see how far this has come since Tecmo V (my first Madison tourney).  I never thought I would see so many Tecmo'ers (Tecmoians..Tecmoans...?) in one place.  

Again a tip of the cap to the Holzbauer brothers for making this kind of an event a reality.

Edited by Nickabc

No offense man, but it would be downright silly to ban R/S run3.  The play can certainly be limited, using many different defensive positions.  It also can be minimized to about a 1-3% success rate (for the offense) on a called run, by ensuring you take the proper angles to bring down the ball carrier.  And even that is really only with a top flight RB.  The really good ones can frequently hold this play to 5-6 yards a carry even calling pass.

What other run play is just as good?

Not to step on bruddog's touchdown call, but running has more to do with the skill of the human player than the plays themselves. Some are obviously terrible plays--I haven't met the tecmoer who thinks the fake reverse pitch up run is quality--but the playbooks that I have seen used vary quite a bit in the types of run plays. I've used a playbook without the RS Pitch down play and been extremely successful running the football. 

And as regulator said, being able to out-tap a guy does help defend that specific play so having the ability to run other plays and not being reliant on any one play is the sign of a quality tecmoer. 

PITCH L OPEN run 3 where you get 2-3 blockers is just about as devastating as the other run 3 sweep. There just aren't any  GREAT pass plays in the same formation so its more likely a run play is coming when you see that formation. 

And against teams like TB with only Haddix as a great defender I would bet that play is more effective than the sweep down since the blockers go right at him.

If you can out-tap the person you are playing running and defending the run just gets that much easier.