New York, NY - 08/12/15 - New York Tecmo Meetup

• 2 weeks later...

It went well.  We did round robin format just like last time and this time everyone won at least one game.

There were three flea flicker related rules:

-You had to have at least one flea flicker in your playbook.

-You needed to call a flea flicker at least once per half.

-You had to wait for the flea flicker to develop before going for the quarterback.

I thought there would be more flea flicker related fumbles on called plays, but there weren't too many.  I only had one that went against me.  A few guys also scored on their flea flicker play.  One thing I came to realize is that the only flea flicker plays that could be any good are the two that are Right + B.  The 2 TE and Double Reverse flea flickers are even more worthless than I initially thought.

Yeah... with the forced requirement for people to call their flea flicker once per half.. you'd expect more fumbles... but apparently people weren't just sitting on those plays waiting for them to be called.

Which is a good thing. It's more fun if the play is successful. If the night had turned into the flea flicker being a guaranteed turnover, where would the fun have been?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm moving to NYC from Chicago this week and I'd love to play some regular Tecmo to stay in "shape" for the Madison tourney. This place is really close to my apartment and it sounds fun so I'll try to come on by. Are these just pick-up games or tourney style, etc?

Hey hoigaard!  Welcome to NYC!

These are more pickup style games, but every meetup we have some stipulation to keep it interesting (this month we're using backups).  The idea is also to get to know one another and practice your game.  The New York Tournament is in October on a Saturday at the same location, but the meetups provide plenty to get your Tecmo fix!

Here's a list of Tecmo backups as drafted by the HSTL, an online Tecmo league, in season 23.  Backups are selected as a whole unit, including QB, RBs, WRs, and TE.  This list isn't an official ranking, but gives some idea of how other Tecmoers value backups of certain teams.

Backups

1. SF

2. DET

3. CHI

4. RAI

5. NO

6. MIA

7. RAM

8. NYJ

9. CIN

10. WAS

11. NYG

12. PIT

13. HOU

14. KC

15. BUF

16. GB

17. CLE

18. DAL

19. NE

20. PHX

21. SD

22. SEA

23. ATL

24. IND

25. MIN

26. TB

27. PHI

28. DEN

When you say backups... do you mean the #2 player at each position? or do you mean #2 qb, #3-4 RB & WR and #2 Te?

I assumed it meant every position had to be a bench player...

but, for instance... could the raiders start Marcus Allen or are they looking at Steve Smith and Greg Bell

Great meetup last night!  Using backups definitely changes how to run a team.  I got crushed by the Steelers while using the Eagles (no QB Eagles) and had a 6-0 overtime thriller as Houston vs. Dallas.

A new record for me: I turned the ball over on my first 11 possessions (over a span of 7 quarters).

Agreed. Really fun, good to meet a new group of Tecmo guys. Already looking forward to the next meet-up and whatever crazy stipulation we'll play with.

Anyone thinking about the Ohio tourney in July? I'm considering going since with this group there's now some regular games to stay sharp in the meantime.

I might have the next meetup May 1st since I have a conference April 17th and the 24th is my father's birthday.  That's unless anyone else wants to host.  8-)

I've considered Ohio this year, but not sure I'd want to do the long drive like I did with the CT guys in 2009.  I was hoping to catch a cheap flight possibly, but looking at current air fares... yikes.

• 4 weeks later...

Next meetup we'll be hosting Super Bowl Showdown.  All matchups picked will be a former Super Bowl matchup.  For example, if you want to be the Cardinals and use the amazing Johnny Johnson, you'll have to call a Cardinals-Steelers matchup, the only Super Bowl the team appeared in.  There are 47 matchups to choose from, but each can only be chosen once.

For simplicity purposes, choosing the Ravens will mean choosing the Browns and choosing the Titans will mean choosing the Oilers.  The Lions will be off limits since they never played in a Super Bowl!

• 1 month later...