New York, NY - 08/12/15 - New York Tecmo Meetup

• 4 weeks later...

The Next Tecmo Meetup will be Wednesday, July 10th @ 6 PM at Break. This next meetup we will be using Original Playbooks.  Make sure to study each team's playbook before next Wednesday!  You don't want to be the guy who is stuck using a double reverse.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. The two games Brian and I played last night were two of the most fun I can remember being involved with in a long time. Our round-robin game went to OT and Brian pulled it out 17-14 after a ton of exciting plays back and forth, and then like Brian said my Seahawks edged out his Packers 21-20. You don't play 2 games much closer than those. Really fun night.

• 3 weeks later...

The next New York Tecmo Meetup will take place this Wednesday, August 7th.  The theme will be Kicks Are For Kids!  Players will not be allowed to kick field goals or punt.  This will take some doubt out of the mind of people who are not willing to go for it on 4th and 12.

• 4 weeks later...

The next NY Tecmo meetup with be on Wednesday, September 11th at Break at 6 PM.  This meetup is called CFL Rules!  What makes this stipulation different is that you have 3 downs instead of 4 to get a first down.  You can choose to go for it on 3rd down or punt.  (Note: on all 4th downs, the offense will be required to kick a FG and be tackled by the defense, resulting in a turnover on downs).

Bonus points if you can incorporate former CFL players into your game plan!  I dug up this old post that lists many former CFL players in TSB: http://tecmobowl.org/topic/8283-tecmo-players-in-the-cfl/?p=104578

• 3 weeks later...

The next NY Tecmo meetup with be on Wednesday, October 2nd at Break at 6 PM.  This meetup is likely the final meetup before the NY Tournament on October 19th. I thought it would be good to take a look back to 2007, when NY hosted its first ever Tecmo tournament.  Back then, we used a tier system.  Even though we won't be using tiers in this year's tournament, I thought it would be fun to experiment with teams in the same tiers to get some practice for the tourney.  Here are the tiers from back then.

One : sf hou gia buf
Two: phi rai chi
Three: cin kc mia
Four: den sd rams tb det was min
Five: dal phx pit jets atl
Six: no gb cle sea ind ne

The way we played it back then: If someone chooses a team, you have to choose a team in that same tier or lower.  You could only use a team once for the entire tournament.  It led to a lot of confusion to keep track of which teams were chosen, but also a lot of great strategy to picking teams.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who came out to the tournament last month!  I hope you all had a blast. The next NY Tecmo meetup will be on Wednesday, November 20th at Break at 6 PM.  The stipulation for this meetup will be to Pick and Stick with a Division.

If you have never been to a meetup before, it's a pretty casual gathering.  However, we choose a theme or stipulation for each one to make things a little more interesting.  For this meetup, each person picks a division and sticks with them for the rest of the night.  They have to use every team at least once from that division.  For example, I choose the AFC West and must use all of the teams in that division at least once.  There will be a draft at the beginning to see who gets which division.

As usual, if you plan on bringing any equipment, please let me know.

• 1 month later...
The first NY Tecmo meetup of the new year will be on Wednesday, January 8th at Break at 6 PM.  We didn't have a meetup in December because, ya know, the holidays.  But we are back in 2014 with East Coast Bias.

For East Coast Bias, your choice of teams will be limited to teams which play their home games in the Eastern Time zone.  If you struggle with geography, here is a list of those teams by division:

NFC East: New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins
NFC Central: Detroit Lions, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
NFC West: Atlanta Falcons

AFC East: Buffalo Bills, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets
AFC Central: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers

You will only be allowed to choose a team once, so choose wisely!

If you plan on bringing any equipment, please let me know.  I fried one of my systems, so another system would help.  Hope to see you guys on the 8th!

• 4 weeks later...
The next Tecmo Super Bowl meetup will take place on Wednesday, February 5th at Break at 6 PM.  This month's meetup will be called Tec-No Super Bowl. In honor of the Super Bowl being in the NYC area this year, we will be honoring teams that have never won the Super Bowl by picking matchups involving those teams.  Here are the teams broken down by division:

NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles, Phoenix Cardinals
NFC Central: Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings
NFC West: Atlanta Falcons

AFC East: Buffalo Bills
AFC Central: Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Houston Oilers
AFC West: San Diego Chargers, Seattle Seahawks

Which team will be considered the "Best Loser?"  Will Seattle be removed from this list by the time of the meetup?  Only time will tell!

As usual, if you are able to bring any equipment, that would be great, especially since mine seems to be functioning poorly these days.

• 4 weeks later...

From Brian-

Hey guys,

Just to let you know, the last meetup was cancelled due to snow, so if you missed it, no worries.  The next one is scheduled for this Wednesday, February 26th at Break at 6 PM (weather permitting, of course).  The theme will be the same as was planned (Tec-No Super Bowl), but by now you know you can scratch the Seahawks off the list (sadly).

Hope to see you there!

• 4 weeks later...

The next Tecmo Super Bowl meetup will take place on Wednesday, March 26th at Break at 6 PM.  This month is a revisiting of one of our early meetups Backup Brawl.  This time around, you will have to put in your backups for at least one half of play.  You get to choose which half, but you must decide before you run the first play whether or not you want to play your backups for that half.  Will you dare pick the Eagles with having to sit QB Eagles for a half?  Will Greg Bell get his shot at stardom after Bo and Marcus have been benched?

All equipment is welcome.  Last time we had three TVs going, which is great, so if you can bring a system, we can get more games going.

Please sign up on meetup.com for our meetup group.  You can RSVP by joining the group http://www.meetup.com/New-York-City-Super-Tecmo-Bowl-Meetup/

Also, don't forget to follow us:
And of course our website for all Tecmo happenings in the Northeast:  www.northeasttecmo.com

• 1 month later...

We will be attempting Backup Brawl again this Wednesday, May 21st at Break at 6 PM.  You must use your backups for at least one half!

This makes the Steelers one of the better teams in the game for a half

• 2 months later...
The next Tecmo Super Bowl meetup will be on Wednesday, July 23rd at Break at 6 PM.  This month will be Red Zone Frenzy. In order to score a TD, you have to do it from outside the redzone.  If you are tackled or run out of bounds inside the 20, then you must attempt a field goal.  This might force you to change your offensive (and defensive) approach!

As usual, we will need some equipment for this meetup, so if you have, please bring it along! Please let me know ahead of time if you can bring anything.

You can RSVP for this event on meetup.com or by replying to this e-mail: http://www.meetup.com/New-York-City-Super-Tecmo-Bowl-Meetup/events/194819462/

Also, the New York tournament this year will be on October 4th.  I encourage you to save the date!  Signup will be open starting the first week of August.

• 6 months later...

Things have been very quiet in the world of NY Tecmo these past few months. But we're hoping to change that with the next meetup on Wednesday, February 18th at Break Bar & Billiards at 6 PM.  We will be Reliving the 2014 Season Playoffs with matchups that you saw in the 2014-15 playoffs. As I was watching the playoffs, I kept thinking to myself how so many of the matchups would be excellent Tecmo matchups.

Want a scenario in which the Seahawks beat the Patriots?  Come out on the 18th and make it happen!  As usual, if you can bring equipment, it always helps.

• 1 month later...

The next New York Tecmo meetup will be this Wednesday, March 18th at Break Bar & Billiards at 6 PM.  The theme for this meetup will be Same Playbooks.

Before the start of each game, players will get 4 plays to choose from.  Player 2 will select a play, followed by player 1, alternating until all 8 plays are decided for that matchup.  These mix and match playbooks should keep things interesting!

As usual, if you can bring equipment, it's greatly appreciated.  Feel free to spread the word and bring a friend!

• 1 month later...

The next New York Tecmo meetup will be next Wednesday, April 29th at Break Bar & Billiards at 6 PM.  The theme for this meetup will be Wide Receiver-less Offense.  The last meetup of Same Playbooks led to some intriguing playbook selection strategy based on the team matchup.

For this meetup, wide receivers will not be allowed on the field at any time.  All wide receivers must ride the bench and watch the rest of the offense do the work.  Running Backs and Tight Ends will be the only players allowed to fill any of the positions, so be sure to place them wisely!

Any equipment you can bring is always welcome!