Punt coverage team speed

bruddog

Party found this info out and posted it in the shorter punts thread but I watned to give it its own thread to make it easier to find.

I also found out that the Punter and the rest of his punt defense team receive a hefty boost of attributes when defending against the punt return.

"You can remove that boost by going to the following lines and changinge the code accordingly in the rom.

#8164: Change E2 06 E3 04 to E2 00 E3 00 (This boosts the punter himself)

#8170: Change E2 06 E3 04 to E2 00 E3 00 (This boosts the rest of the punt defense team, aside from the punter)

You can also decrease the boost level a bit(Rather than completely turning it off) by lowering each of the values that was changed to 00 to something a bit higher than zero.........or raise the boost value by raising these values to something higher than their original values."

• 1 year later...

Dude,

I found what I believe to be the corresponding bytes for this code in TSB3 last night, changed 'em around per Party's suggestion, and... nothing. Nothing seemed different.

Does anyone know what's supposed to happen on the field when you modify this?

Thanks in advance.

AM Rush

I found what I believe to be the corresponding bytes for this code in TSB3 last night, changed 'em around per Party's suggestion, and... nothing. Nothing seemed different.

Does anyone know what's supposed to happen on the field when you modify this?

Once the punt is kicked then here is what the NES punt coverage info looks like:

Punter - Boost HP(07); Boost RP(06); Boost MS(04); Take Control; Move Relative(00 30); JumpTo BF38:Boost MS(11); FC(FF E0); DD-Pass Rush; Loop Back FC//

Coverage Players - Boost HP(07); Boost RP(06); Boost MS(04); Move Relative(00 30); Jump To BF38:Boost MS(11); FC(FF E0); DD-Pass Rush; Loop Back FC

Changing the boost amounts (#s in these) will make that specific attribute higher or lower. For the players to run at normal speed turn the boost RP and MS amounts to 00.

The equivalent locations in TSB III are at:

Punter - x1E2842, Coverage Players - x1E284F, and the jump to location - x1E45D1

Thanks, j.

I wouldn't expect it, but would you happen to know if any other bytes in the neighborhood of the offsets you've given control a kind of boost for either team's players before the ball gets punted? Or the same for FG/XP plays?

Even if you only have offsets for the NES version I'd appreciate it.

AM Rush

I wouldn't expect it, but would you happen to know if any other bytes in the neighborhood of the offsets you've given control a kind of boost for either team's players before the ball gets punted? Or the same for FG/XP plays?

For FG/XP point plays - TSB III gives all the offensive blockers a HP boost of 03 and one a 06. The defensive FS for whatever reason receives a HP boost of 30.

For punt plays before the kick, the blockers recieve HP boosts of 03 except the HB. The defensive players receive no boost. I haven't gotten to this section on TSB III but on NES the FS blocker receives an HP boost of 06 and the returner gets a boost to reach the kick and then is set back to normal once caught.

Each player here will have a different location. Anything of those you want amrush?

For FG/XP point plays - TSB III gives all the offensive blockers a HP boost of 03 and one a 06. The defensive FS for whatever reason receives a HP boost of 30.

For punt plays before the kick, the blockers recieve HP boosts of 03 except the HB. The defensive players receive no boost. I haven't gotten to this section on TSB III but on NES the FS blocker receives an HP boost of 06 and the returner gets a boost to reach the kick and then is set back to normal once caught.

Each player here will have a different location. Anything of those you want amrush?

This info is really helpful. Do you have the hex addresses for the TSB3 HP boosts that you mention above? And one last thing: a 'boost' of 03 means that two guys with 56 and 63 HP, respectively, bump up to 75 and 81, right?

Thanks again.

AM Rush