Eric Dickerson may be.........

~Tailback King~

Dickerson was no doubt great, but if you are going to talk about his 1984 season and compare him to other backs of earlier era's then you have to go by yards per game since some backs played only 12 or 14 games in a season.  In 1973 O.J. Simpson got 2000+ yards in only 14 games and averaged 143 yards a game for the season. A better season than Dickerson's 1984 season statistically.

Now if your argument is just backs since the NFL went to 16 games then Eric Dickerson has had the best season of any Running Back since that change. If you are talking about the best season ever then I would take O.J. in 1973. IMO I would take Jim Brown, O.J., & Barry Sanders and possibly Gayle Sayers before I would take Dickerson if you are talking careers.  Sayers was probably the most explosive of all of them, but injuries ended his career early.

If you are talking about Just Tecmo Bowl games then Bo Jackson is the best, Followed by Barry Sanders.  Walter Payton has the same attributes as Dickerson in the original Tecmo Bowl, they both have 2 run plays and a pass play where they are a receiver. They are a tie in my opinion on the original Tecmo Bowl.

Yeah Dickerson does get overlooked and/or forgotten when great RB's are discussed. Some people just know he single season rushing record and not much else. But you are the extreme. You once said he was the greatest RB of all time, to which I responded Brown, Sanders and Payton all saying hello. Then you go on about the single season rushing that neither have touched.

Well if you wanna go down that road, Dickerson has that. But in 1963 Brown ran for 1863 yds in just 14 games for an avg of 133.1 yds/gm. That trump's Dickerson's 131.6 in '84. Brown 8 rushing tiles and 3 NFL MVPs - Dickerson 5 and 0 MVP's. Do you really wanna play this game. Even with his great '84 Payton and Sanders have NFL MVP's on their mantle - Dickerson doesn't.

I've already broken down Dickerson downward spiral after his 7th season, Barry put 2,053 yda and 6.1 a carry and the league MVP in his 9th. Brown 1,544 yds & 17 TD (in 14 gms) and a league MVP in his 9th. I really don't like doing this as Dickerson was great and he should get his due. Just because I don't feel he the greatest of all time and there are RB's ahead of him don't lose your shit. I haven't broken down the hierarchy of RB's, but I would have Brown & Sanders ahead of him, and probably Payton. Those aren't bad guys to be behind. You're acting like I put him behind Rodney ampton or something.

Yeah Dickerson does get overlooked and/or forgotten when great RB's are discussed. Some people just know he single season rushing record and not much else. But you are the extreme. You once said he was the greatest RB of all time, to which I responded Brown, Sanders and Payton all saying hello. Then you go on about the single season rushing that neither have touched.

Well if you wanna go down that road, Dickerson has that. But in 1963 Brown ran for 1863 yds in just 14 games for an avg of 133.1 yds/gm. That trump's Dickerson's 131.6 in '84. Brown 8 rushing tiles and 3 NFL MVPs - Dickerson 5 and 0 MVP's. Do you really wanna play this game. Even with his great '84 Payton and Sanders have NFL MVP's on their mantle - Dickerson doesn't.

I've already broken down Dickerson downward spiral after his 7th season, Barry put 2,053 yda and 6.1 a carry and the league MVP in his 9th. Brown 1,544 yds & 17 TD (in 14 gms) and a league MVP in his 9th. I really don't like doing this as Dickerson was great and he should get his due. Just because I don't feel he the greatest of all time and there are RB's ahead of him don't lose your shit. I haven't broken down the hierarchy of RB's, but I would have Brown & Sanders ahead of him, and probably Payton. Those aren't bad guys to be behind. You're acting like I put him behind Rodney ampton or something.

I won't say that Sanders, Brown, & Payton were BETTER than Dickerson...but I can admit they were right up there with him.  You, and everybody else should also agree that Dickerson, (no matter what anybody thinks of him) should be right up there on that top tier with the guys you mentioned.  That's just by the numbers.........If you wanna look at God givin skill, Dickerson got the edge in my opinion...Brown may be a close second.

I won't say that Sanders, Brown, & Payton were BETTER than Dickerson...but I can admit they were right up there with him.  You, and everybody else should also agree that Dickerson, (no matter what anybody thinks of him) should be right up there on that top tier with the guys you mentioned.  That's just by the numbers.........If you wanna look at God givin skill, Dickerson got the edge in my opinion...Brown may be a close second.

You won't say it, but I will. But that's not slight against Dickerson as those 3 (Brown, Sanders & Payton) are probably the 3 greatest RB's ever. I don't where I'd place Dickerson overall, but he's certainly one of the greats (RB), and often gets overlooked/doesn't get his due... even by me.

If were talking talent then that becomes very difficult, as I may not even have Jim Brown top 5 "talent" wise, and I said "may" not. Look at WR's, Moss is techincally more "talented" than Rice, but who's the better receiver? Some would say Dickerson is not talented because he had the strength to out physical defenders. If that's true (I don't know if it is or isn't) why should that be held against him? It's an ability he had that other RB's didn't. It's tough to determine by talent. Eric Dickerson couldn't hit the hole like Emmitt Smith (not many could), but Smith couldn't outrun defenders like Dickerson, and Eric was the bigger back of the two.

I've seen Barry make guys miss 2-3 times on the same play. Jim Brown couldn't, he'd just run you over and say "what?" The blocking, pass catching also come into the picture as well.

Talent should definitely count, but it's difficult to analyze.

You won't say it, but I will. But that's not slight against Dickerson as those 3 (Brown, Sanders & Payton) are probably the 3 greatest RB's ever. I don't where I'd place Dickerson overall, but he's certainly one of the greats (RB), and often gets overlooked/doesn't get his due... even by me.

If were talking talent then that becomes very difficult, as I may not even have Jim Brown top 5 "talent" wise, and I said "may" not. Look at WR's, Moss is techincally more "talented" than Rice, but who's the better receiver? Some would say Dickerson is not talented because he had the strength to out physical defenders. If that's true (I don't know if it is or isn't) why should that be held against him? It's an ability he had that other RB's didn't. It's tough to determine by talent. Eric Dickerson couldn't hit the hole like Emmitt Smith (not many could), but Smith couldn't outrun defenders like Dickerson, and Eric was the bigger back of the two.

I've seen Barry make guys miss 2-3 times on the same play. Jim Brown couldn't, he'd just run you over and say "what?" The blocking, pass catching also come into the picture as well.

Talent should definitely count, but it's difficult to analyze.

You said "some would say Dickerson is not talented because he had the strength to out physical defenders"........Wouldn't being able to run over defenders make you better??? 

You said "some would say Dickerson is not talented because he had the strength to out physical defenders"........Wouldn't being able to run over defenders make you better??? 

Running over defenders make you better? You really should read what I write....

Some would say Dickerson is not talented because he had the strength to out physical defenders. If that's true (I don't know if it is or isn't) why should that be held against him? It's an ability he had that other RB's didn't. 

I just said his ability to run over defenders is a positive thing even though some may no deem it as "talent". It's something he was able to do that many other RB's couldn't... or wouldn't.

Edited by thalivest

Running over defenders make you better? You really should read what I write....

I just said his ability to run over defenders is a positive thing even though some may no deem it as "talent". It's something he was able to do that many other RB's couldn't... or wouldn't.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH........Got it.  I'm glad you finally came around to thinking Dickerson's the best!!!  Ha hA Ha!!!!!!!! :)

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It's about that time of the year again to bump the thread of the "Greatest player in the history of the first Tecmobowl" .......sorry Bo, you couldn't hold Eric's jockstrap even if you had 3 plays to choose from...................

....................................BTW, NFL Channel, A Football Life, the documentary of ERIC DICKERON is now playin'.....if you don't know who he is, or even if you think you do...........WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!  Your opinion of who you think the best running back of all time is might change.

• 5 months later...

....................................BTW, NFL Channel, A Football Life, the documentary of ERIC DICKERON is now playin'.....if you don't know who he is, or even if you think you do...........WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!  Your opinion of who you think the best running back of all time is might change.

Nope....Still Jim Brown.

• 2 months later...

Nope....Still Jim Brown.

Bull$h!t.  As great as Jim was, He was no Eric.  And I'm not just sayin' that because Dickerson was my favorite player.....he was just that damn good.  Maybe you should scroll back to the highlights on this thread and remind yo self.

Bull$h!t.  As great as Jim was, He was no Eric.  And I'm not just sayin' that because Dickerson was my favorite player.....he was just that damn good.  Maybe you should scroll back to the highlights on this thread and remind yo self.

I hate to keep perpetuating this thread, but as "good" as Eric Dickerson was he was no Jim Brown. No Bull$hit!!! I don't need to scroll back the highlights, I grew up in the 80's as a 49ers fan and saw plenty of Eric Dickerson.  I know how good Eric Dickerson was.  If you stay with the thread, then yes he is one of the best backs in Tecmo Bowl.  If you are calling him the best of all time in real life, then no he is not IMO. I would take Jim Brown, Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders over Dickerson.  I would take Jim Brown everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. That's just me though.

I didn't realize how big Jim Brown was. Dickerson I remember being a big back and he clocked in at 6'3" 220. Jim Brown playing height/weight is listed at 6'2" 232. I feel like both Brown and Dickerson could be transported from their respective time periods into today's NFL and be among the top running backs today.

I would take Jim Brown, Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders over Dickerson.

To me Sanders and Sayers were more about speed and agility than power, relative to guys like Brown and Dickerson. Obviously all of them had power, speed, agility, etc which made them all time greats.

If I watch highlights of RBs, I still can't find anyone that looks better that PAYTON or SANDERS.

Jim Brown looks like a bigger version of Jim Taylor.  Earl Campbell looks like a bigger version of Jim Brown.

Peterson looks like a small version of Jim Brown.

Sayers looks awesome.  So does OJ.  So does Dorsett.

Dickerson looks like a sprinter, but he does not have the "running back" moves of Payton, Sanders, or Sayers.

In the end, what I am saying is, some RBs are just "amazing/unstoppable athletes" and some are Payton and Sanders.

• 7 months later...
On 6/4/2015 at 8:29 AM, buck said:

If I watch highlights of RBs, I still can't find anyone that looks better that PAYTON or SANDERS.

Jim Brown looks like a bigger version of Jim Taylor.  Earl Campbell looks like a bigger version of Jim Brown.

Peterson looks like a small version of Jim Brown.

Sayers looks awesome.  So does OJ.  So does Dorsett.

Dickerson looks like a sprinter, but he does not have the "running back" moves of Payton, Sanders, or Sayers.

In the end, what I am saying is, some RBs are just "amazing/unstoppable athletes" and some are Payton and Sanders.

Dickersons' answer to you Buck......

"Don't hate me cause I run pretty...I don't need moves when I can go right through you...It ain't my fault I'm bigger and faster than everybody"  (including Payton & Sanders)

9 hours ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

Dickersons' answer to you Buck......

"Don't hate me cause I run pretty...I don't need moves when I can go right through you...It ain't my fault I'm bigger and faster than everybody"  (including Payton & Sanders)

Word.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Prof_Werwolf said:

85 Bears in the NFC Title game. Only 46 yards rushing and two fumbles

Buddy Ryan said before the game that he thought Dickerson wpould fumble 3 times.  He was close.  

Talk about 2 teams in a Conf championship game and SB that really had no chance.  Poor Rams/Pats.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2016 at 7:19 AM, Tecmo-Mad-Brad said:

Buddy Ryan said before the game that he thought Dickerson wpould fumble 3 times.  He was close.  

Talk about 2 teams in a Conf championship game and SB that really had no chance.  Poor Rams/Pats.  

I just watched the 30 for 30 on the 85' Bears.....The Bears D only had one stratagy for that game...........stop Eric.  (a great documentary by the way)