1st Annual Chicago Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

bob sacamano

Totally agree that those rules for the ESPN1000 tourney are quite strange, but hey, it's Tecmo. It definitely is a tournament that more or less is kind of acting as a random draw to win BCS Championship game tickets, rather than something for just the best TSB player. I advanced, so I'm happy about that. heh. But Damon, I have you signed up now as well, and make sure you buddy emails [email protected] asap to get signed up!

Sweet! Thanks Erin. My friend Ant (HYPO) sent you email so he's definitely coming to the tourney. Hopefully we'll get to meet many Tecmo Bawlers from Knobbe (like Rod Woodson) and have a great time! We're both Chicagoans (though Ant has been a lifelong Niner's fan) so hopefully this tourney will be an annual occurence if all things go well. See you guys on the 21st! Can't wait!

Update from last weekend's Tecmo training camp in Madison:

qb_browns: After a T-3rd in Ohio, it looks like complacency has set in. Neglecting sonofpatbeach's advice to drown himself in the Ohio River after his Ohio "high," he promply moved to Minneapolis, a notorious Tecmo-career killing city. See Soby1, King, saurusrex, edi, and ale, sconnie.

Skunkerofbestinworld: Have to wonder about this man's dedication at this point. Total no-show at training camp. Once an intimidator with the Dolphins and desperately in need of being put on a "Jim Jensen diet," he neglected last year's Madison tournament in favor of weekend gallivanting. Will next weekend bring redemption?

Sonofpatbeach: Where is his head right now? After stringing together a few solid wins on Saturday, he promptly disappeared to rescue a damsel in distress. Once the reader of LT scripture pre-tournament, it appears as though he's now forgotten his father.

holzy11: With a present pass/run ratio of 95%/5%, this man is desperately in need of a Tecmo caddy . After guiding the Saints to the NFC Championship, Jim Mora inexplicably turned John Fourcade loose to the tune of 30+ passes in one game. After providing Hilliard with just 2 carries, Mora faced his critics: "we didn't do diddly-poo on offense in the 2nd half. We couldn't run the ball. We didn't try to run the ball. We didn't complete a pass. We sucked."

Child of Destiny (COD): Seeking anonymity after the Ryder Cup and last year's pre-tournament videos, his legend has only grown. Capable of making noise in any tournament, especially with Donny Majik.

Avgtsbplayer: Celebrating last week's Giants win with a shot of Patron, the noted women's rights proponent immediately quipped "look at these two fricken sluts!" Laboring to his car in the morning after a companion's cheese fry caper a night earlier, he quoted his idol, the Winnebago Man: "my mind is just a piece of shit this morning." While in the midst of regurgitating the prior evening's cheese fries, and with his g/f looking on, he commented that it's "not even funny anymore. Just not worth it."

Rickster: The man with no memory. Capable of beating anyone at anytime. Will rage carry this man to a title next weekend? Beware his propensity to Chuck "it" Long to his preferably slow receivers.

Update from last weekend's Tecmo training camp in Madison:

Avgtsbplayer: Celebrating last week's Giants win with a shot of Patron, the noted women's rights proponent immediately quipped "look at these two fricken sluts!" Laboring to his car in the morning after a companion's cheese fry caper a night earlier, he quoted his idol, the Winnebago Man: "my mind is just a piece of shit this morning." While in the midst of regurgitating the prior evening's cheese fries, and with his g/f looking on, he commented that it's "not even funny anymore. Just not worth it."

To know Avgtsbplayer is to meet innovation...money.

Just a glorious training camp. I decided to follow the 1970s Raiders program of doing absolutely nothing, not caring, and drinking heavily. I may care in Chicago, or I may not, I haven't decided yet. But I will be getting drunk along with the COD. And I will be trying desperately to get Avg completely hammered again, if only for the comedy of watching him do his thang at the bar, whatever that thang is.

And holzy's pass-run ratio was not 95%-5%. It was, barely, 99%-1%--probably more like 99.9%-0.1%. The man refuses to call a run, even though he has two play action passes in the playbook. What a joke.

Sonofpatbeach was not himself all day at training camp. Personally, I think he was sandbagging and I should know, I always sandbag at training camp.

I assure you, I will not be drinking Patron this weekend. I find it...inconceivable...that you try to get me that drunk again, Bailey. You know my tournament standard: one drink per game..."no more!"

FYI, I'm still holding you accountable for sending my girlfriend that text, Bailey. It's either that, or I lied to my girlfriend. And, I never lie to my girlfriend.

I assure you, I will not be drinking Patron this weekend. I find it...inconceivable...that you try to get me that drunk again, Bailey. You know my tournament standard: one drink per game..."no more!"

FYI, I'm still holding you accountable for sending my girlfriend that text, Bailey. It's either that, or I lied to my girlfriend. And, I never lie to my girlfriend.

I do a lot of stuff to various people, mostly Chet, but I do not remember sending a text to Jaime or stealing your phone. Sending a text that reads something like "drunk, not driving home" is not something that I would do, it would be something else and way more offensive.

And you drinking Patron does not matter to me...at this juncture. Tony, could you do me a favor, do me a kindness? Win this thing.

The Knobbe train is scheduled as "in" ...

Does this mean that there will be epic media like there was in Madison?

This time I have a laptop that doesn't suck ass.

If there is internet at this place, we will be livecasting the final.

If not, we'll simply youtube it.

Otherwise, every applicant gets a Tecmo koozie courtesy of Knobbe.org!

The player that wins the coin toss selects the matchup. The coin toss loser has choice of selecting which team he would like, or can defer, and select side he prefers. If loser selects team, winner then can choose which side.

Or essentially the team that doesn't select his team first gets to pick which side he'd like to defend (controller selection). Hope this helps!

The player that wins the coin toss selects the matchup. The coin toss loser has choice of selecting which team he would like, or can defer, and select side he prefers. If loser selects team, winner then can choose which side.

Or essentially the team that doesn't select his team first gets to pick which side he'd like to defend (controller selection). Hope this helps!

sounds good to me. thanks Eric!

Can anyone/everyone at the tourney send 20-30 second videos from their cell phones to youtube? It's really easy. You can either email or text the video to your youtube account and it automatically posts it for you. Then, you just post your youtube homepage here. It would be cool for all of us lonely losers that didn't make it to Chicago but wish we were. :wink:

Can anyone/everyone at the tourney send 20-30 second videos from their cell phones to youtube? It's really easy. You can either email or text the video to your youtube account and it automatically posts it for you. Then, you just post your youtube homepage here. It would be cool for all of us lonely losers that didn't make it to Chicago but wish we were. :wink:

If there is internet there I'll be putting up some stuff.

Otherwise I have my trusty flipcam and other stuff

That a-hole that I had to play in the round of 32 is going sour grapes on the Facebook page! That guy was so angry... I wish I would have beaten him by more. That could be my only regret of the tournament. He had a pretty sweet offense of throwing up bombs (not too effective with the Saints, though... he should have selected GB if he was going that route).

Fantastic time meeting and getting to know the crowd a little better this time around. I had a good number of friends show up and they had a great time as well. Another great game against Mort (this time in the round of eight), and I came out on top this time (SD over DEN by 10... a last minute TD with Mort blitzing). Then Chet gave me a lesson in the semis (WAS 24 - SD 6... it was 10-6 at half and I was lucky it was that close) and went on to win the finals as well. averagetsbplayer and I declined to play the 3rd place game and split the prize. Could have used one more tv to make it eight, but other than that things went real smooth.

Earnest Byner really needs to get himself to an AA meeting...