Superstar Editor questions

Nameless Loser

1. If you have a player whose initial points suck, but you work him just like you would a player whose initial points rock, which one will come out better when they both stop growing?

2. Does the amount of yardage/TDs/INTs you need to get ratings points go up or down change with the length of the quarters you select? (I'd guess not.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty random, ive had players after running through season after season, end up being almost perfect, and ive had guys end up average after the same amount of time, regardless of how the started.

the only problem is that if you compose a team of superstar editor guys, they will sim games horrible and lose alot because they overall ranking is a lot lower when compared to actual guys with the same skills.....

Interesting questions. I use the Editor a lot, usually making up an entire team from peeps i used to play ball with in the hood. The only reason i can't truthfully answer this is because the guys i make with the crappy points don't get used too much. There seems to be a limit as to how hype you can make any single player anyway (unless said player just needs to step up to get more after awhile). Plus, in order to help guys get hype faster, i usually do like Sterling mentioned and sim a season or a half to get players some points quick. I also think that the points used to create players are worth more than the points assigned to real players. I say that because after playing with a team of 'fictionals' for awhile and they start to not get any more points, they usually are better than their peers. I got our fictional QB MVP & offensive PoY by throwing for 4500 yards and finishing with a 210.4 rating.

Offensive linemen usually develop quicker when they are playing next to good guys (I have noticed this many times in SS) but everyone else seems to be about the same every time as far as their ability is concerned, no matter who they're with.

Man, I hate it when my players max out. Already in my 15 minute QTR season with the Jags my QB, one of my RBs, and my best WR topped out. I think my SS and one of my D-linemen topped out as well. At least with my O-line (which all topped out, and I replaced a few players) they grow a lot quicker than any other position by far, even a RB who also is the returner.

Also my other RBs are doing great, one is about to become better than Barry if he can return from injury, and my power back has a higher YPC than the Barry Sanders back because he can **** up a defense if they try to take him head-on and he is getting pretty fast himself.

Does anybody know the _benchmark_ totals for a player to get better? For DBs, usually an INT will do it (how does it grow with more than one?), but how many TAK and SACK do you need for LBs and DLs? Likewise how many yards/receptions/TDs/etc. do you need for skill position offensive players and the QB? I've noticed that all the skill position players on offense are the same except for the QB in how they grow. You can rush a TE for 200 yards and that will do him good.

I have had success so far with 200 yards rushing (to get at least 1 or 2 points) and I have also done well with 150 yards receiving (1 point). I haven't seen that 100 yards rushing is consistent in getting the runner a point up. I don't know how much TDs affect it. Returns help but I don't know anything about how many yards you need.

All that really irks me as well. If you sim games, sometimes your OL can gain three or more respective points at a time. With them, i guess it has to do with the blocking of sacks, having an RB rush for good gains behind the individuals' blocking, having the QB rush at all, etc. My QBs and K/Ps have also done this, but these seem to be the only positions that gain more than a point a game. Keep in mind that's simmed. For the most part, when i play i can only get a few players one point each. Interesting that you can play 15 minute quarters and still get the same results i've seen. I usually keep the quarters down to 5 just so the score stays rational. I don't think any points are awarded for KR/PR. In the new season i'm playing with my fictionals, i actually created two guys on the proper sides that should've been good for that, but alas they're still failing miserably. It's easy to tell they've gained no points; i never install them on the offense.

I feel you on the rational score, I lost a game because I overflowed the score against the Bengals.

I have put guys on KR/PR more than once and I think it really helps them. The PR not so much really, but the KR, if he takes one back and he has a great day, he will get points from that. I am thinking maybe 100-150 returning yards is a benchmark, but you won't get that much if you aren't getting scored on.

My OLs, holy mother. I got like a full bar for two of my guys in one 15 minute game. Just recently I got 3/4 of a bar for both a guard and a tackle. OLs grow like madness in 15 minute QTRs. I think it may have to do also with the # of points the other guys like RBs get. If the OLs get that # multiplied by a potential growth factor that would make a lot of sense. I don't think sacks are that important, I get sacked 4 times a game sometimes and it doesn't hurt my line's growth.

I can get pretty much any player points up in a game provided that they get the requisite stats. If my DL gets 13 sacks then he will zoom up, but mostly I only do a regimen and don't rush for like 400 yards with each guy because it just doesn't produce linear gains.

I have created a QB and when I started I had 2 & 1/2 bars of points to start with. I simmed 2 seasons and got 2 more bars of points. After that He quit improving with sim or man control. Here is his ability rating.

RS 19

RP 6

MS 6

HP 6

BB 6

AG 6

PS 75

PC 75

PA 75

AR 75

CO 75

He is in no way a runner but man can this guy pass. He handles the rush well can scramble around the pocket or roll out. A running threat he is not.

Don't get me wrong though this guy is bad ass if he only had a recieving corps to throw to. He is on the Steelers and the recievers suck.

1P1C, just curious - why did you put so many points into your QB's AR and CO? I thought those only affected CPU-controlled players; maybe I was wrong. :?

Like Bad Moon, I haven't done much with the Editor, but when I did, I thought the benchmarks might be fixed season totals. For example, I had RBs rush for huge games and get points, and rush for <100 yds. and get points, too. If you get rewarded for, say, every 100 total season yds., then a 150-yd game followed by a 50-yd game would both give you points after each. Who knows?

Hey kork maybe your right it only has something to do with cpu controlled players. Although I have noticed this. Even though this QB is slow he has pretty good scrambling skills behind the line of scrimmage, However when he crosses the line of scrimmage he couldnt out run a dead dog. Maybe the reason for this is the Avoid Rush #s are high. Also compared to Mike Tomczak when a man blitzes or your play gets called this QB tends to get rid of the ball even when the defenders are very close. Tomczak seem to hesitate and end up getting sacked even though I am pressing the shit out of the B button. Of course I can't really back any of this up. This is all based on playing with the two QBs and drawing conclusions. If you have a created QB that has little AR & CO and #s in other categories let me know how he performs in these situations.

I have done just what you said, and so far, this QB, who has 63 PS, 88 PC, and 69 PA has nothing in Coolness or Avoid Rush, but has 38s in RP and RS and also has 44 MS. He can outrun the blitz when the play is called and he can also outrun CPU guys to a certain extent, he is a threat to rush and pick up first downs and close TDs (but nothing more). I haven't noticed him pumping the ball like Tomczak.

Strangely, I have a QB just like the one you had, except he has all 69s, and he also had good rushing stats. He pumps some.

Never thought to try KR/PR, but I did make two QBs for comparison a while ago. In the five passing stats, one was 6, 6, 6, 94, 94, and the other was 69, 69, 69, 6, 6. I didn't think to try messing with their MS like you guys. But occasionally, I felt the same "pumping" thing. One QB with no AR or CO seemed to go down a little too easily when my play got picked, but it's just an impression.

The other thing I noticed is that some CPU QBs might make better decisions than others - trying to run out of the pocket or throwing to open WRs. Who knows, maybe AR and CO affect all the quirks we observed. But they're not as important as PS, PC, and PA.

I have deleted and recreated a QB a few times and with the sim mode I can only get so many points. What are the criteria for getting points in a man season with a created player at QB? During the free agency week my created QB was worth at most 310. I have noticed that other QBs are in the 400 to 500 range. Just curious on how to make the best possible QB I can.

The QB is gotta be the most fun to toy with. I like to give him more C than AR, but i always put the A up high. Also like to try and give him some BB. It seems if he has those it counters the lack of AR and C, plus he can run better. I like to make them just as capable to run as pass, so i also keep the PS low to give some points up to the MS, RP, & RS. Then again, this is the only position i will keep doing the back out "cheat" until i get at least 3 bars of skill.

• 4 months later...

I've made Reuben Brown a few times...the Bills O-Lineman that was drafted in 1995 and is now a perennial pro-bowler, but wasn't in TSB III.

I've played almost four seasons now, and he hasn't gained one improvement point. The first three seasons I left him on the Bills, and he got nothing. This season I traded him to my team thinking it might help, but it hasn't.

Any tips on how I can boost his ratings? It used to be when I made him he would gain points up the wazoo like a few of you have mentioned, but now he can't get anything. What am I doing wrong?

• 6 months later...

Chairman, I think a lineman's progression is completely random. I have created an entire team and replaced them with the Steelers (I like the 3-4) and 4 of the 5 linemen get like 3 points a game, but I have one that hasn't gotten a single attribute point since I created the team (3rd year).

I also have a question, has anyone maxed a player completely out besides linemen? I am trying to do it with my halfback I give him the ball all the time his attributes are:

RS 94

RP 13

MS 94

HP 88

BB 69

AG 63

BC 19

RE 69

I want to get every stat to 100.

In week 9 of my 3rd year, he has 2,381 yards on 82 attempts and is averaging 29 yards a carry, with 43 touchdowns, and I think he has stopped gaining points.

Maybe this was implied, but I didn't see anybody mention it. The most success I've had improving players has come from letting them accumulate points and not applying them to their abilities until I'm content with how many points a player's gotten. The more often you apply points, it seems that any given player's more likely to max out.

I have found that most offensive players seem to benefit from getting rushing yards, especially QBs. Of course, dependent upon how you allocate the initial stat allotment that the computer gives to you, sometimes your player will be too good from the start and never improve.

I figured out how to hack the superstar editor a bit.

I was using zsnes 1.36 and hex workshop 4.1

I went into the superstar editor and went into the ability section of editing the player.

If you do a savestate, then you can open the zs* file in hex workshop.

On line 19E0 if you go to the fourth column over there are two bits which determine the amount of points you have to allocate to the player.

These two bits in this column dictate how many points to you have to give to the player. These bits are of course in hexadecimal.

There are 16 points in each one of the five bars that you have to allocate to the player.

For example if you change the first 2 bits to 10 in hex (16 in decimal) it will give the player one full bar to add to the player.

20 = 2 bars

30 = 3 bars

40 = 4 bars

50 = 5 bars

as examples.

Save the file and open the state back in zsnes, now when you go to add points to the player it will have the edited number of points.

You can repeat this procedure and keep adding points as much as you want.

This will allow you to max out any player.

And for those of you who emulate with Snes9x, enter this pro action replay code to have unlimited created player points...

7E0DD35A

You can even leave the cheat enabled through the course of the game and it won't glitch out...

Enjoy creating Ray Lewis at all 100's...