Stopping r and s sweep right

• 4 weeks later...

Takes some practice w/ the timing but choosing your SS (DB 4- Fulcher position) can run in on an angle and dive thru the blocker and tackle the RB usually for a gain of about 1 yard.

Same thing is true for using the 4th LB suck as Kevin Greene w/ Rams can destroy any hopes of this play working if weilded by the seasoned vet.

The down point of this is if you miss the RB has a clear 10 yards before you can get back up from the dive.

Some players are better at it and have the angle down pretty dam good of when exactly to dive. Worth practicing a bunch of times and trying to master bc when done consistently changes whole sceme of things!

Something to watch for, what I've noticed is that when a successful dive is used to stop this play about 85% of the time the same play will be picked again right away by the offense bc they figure that it won't happen 2x in a row and assume that the D calling the plays has scared the offense of wasting that play again.

• 2 weeks later...
Something to watch for, what I've noticed is that when a successful dive is used to stop this play about 85% of the time the same play will be picked again right away by the offense bc they figure that it won't happen 2x in a row and assume that the D calling the plays has scared the offense of wasting that play again.

BINGO. this little tasty nugget may be the reason i can win championships sometimes.

ok, I checked this out a few times since the post....

LB1-.... he blows up the run because no roaming blockers go after LB1 nearly everytime! Best the RB can do is just try to manuever behind his blocks and sneak a good one. :D Derrick Thomas, and LT I think are the best at stopping R+S run3 handsdown.

LB2-.... Usually has one roaming blocker on your tail. So either grapple him and hope your drones make the stop when your knocked off by the block, or pull off a dive! But that's tricky!

LB3-....Usually has one or two blockers on your tail. Seems more likely to be two when a pass is picked. :lol:

LB4-.... I can't seem to make anything work for this guy! You got the DE after you initally....plus one or two blockers!!! :lol: Usually a solid 8+yard gain at minimum, even for a 38ms RB!!!

CB1-.... If you make a mad dash to the bottom with a fast guy like Woodson, or maybe even Hendrix...there will only be one blocker after you, sometimes no blocker if the RB runs down instead of up, but once again its kinda random. But he leaves enough time to grapple him and usually have your drones close enough to tackle him once your knocked off by the roaming block....or get a dive tackle in. :lol:

CB2-.....good luck. Your gonna need it.

FS- ..... If your fast like Ronnie lott or Lonnie Young, you might pull off a holding 6+ yards, but still usually one or two blockers on your tail.

SS-..... actually, I tried the Fulchur trick (popcorning the WR first) and it works...still once you get close to the RB, you have a roaming block lock onto you. So you better get a good dive tackle in or wait it out til help arrives.

Anyways, that's my take on it.

:lol:

DB4 and LB2 are the most effective ways to stop this play. I personally use DB4. I grapple the wr and then go and grapple the runner. If you approach the runner too quick you get another blocker on you. If done right you can hold your opponent to 5 yards everytime. Diving might work once in awhile but I don't recommend it. It also doesn't matter who your DB4 is for the most part. You can stop this run consistantly with any db with 50ms or better. Unless ofcourse the rb you are trying to stop is bo jackson. 50-63ms should be plenty stopping this play.