NES Improved Grappling Code

jstout

The best thing about this code is that HP would be more important on defense thus making it so ultra fast corners with low HP are not quite as good at run stopping.

I agree.

Came up with a scale that let good grapplers have a slight advantage (should win ~60% if HP is equal but not huge)

Basically how it works is as follows.

1. Count human presses and divide by 2. I'm assuming the upper end of tapping is around double what jstout posted. Need to verify this.

2. HP scale 0HP= 0epresses 100HP=30 presses. Linear scale.

3. A random 0-30 presses is added to each player.

I think this would really be cool.

Example of the scale with equal tappers:

88HP vs 6HP= 99% win

75HP vs 25HP= 88% win

69HP vs 38HP= 75% win

56HP vs 44HP= 61% win

Bruddog, let me know if you are able to verify the tap numbers. I would really like to know the upper players talent.

I wrote this real quick using the numbers you provided (man vs man only for the moment). The only change I had to make was the random number from 0 to 31 (30 doesn't work well in 6502).

MAN VS MAN GRAPPLING:
A0 1C LDY #$1C
B1 AE LDA ($AE),Y ; LOAD OFFENSE HP
C8 INY
18 CLC
71 AE ADC ($AE),Y ; HP + Presses
4A LSR ; DIVIDE BY 2
91 AE STA ($AE),Y
A5 3C LDA $3C ; RANDOM NUMBER
29 1F AND #$1F ; Make Random x0-1F
18 CLC
71 AE ADC ($AE),Y ; (HP + Presses)/2 + RANDOM
91 AE STA ($AE),Y
A0 1C LDY #$1C
B1 3E LDA ($3E),Y ; LOAD DEFENSE HP
C8 INY
18 CLC
71 3E ADC ($3E),Y ; HP + Presses
4A LSR ; DIVIDE BY 2
91 3E STA ($3E),Y
A5 3D LDA $3D ; RANDOM NUMBER
29 1F AND #$1F ; Make Random x0-1F
18 CLC
71 3E ADC ($3E),Y ; (HP + Presses)/2 + RANDOM
91 3E STA ($3E),Y
; RETURN TO NORMAL
B1 3E LDA ($3E),Y
60 RTS

Well here is what I learned.

Confirmed that for each real second there is 64 bytes of data for player 1 and 64 bytes of data for player 2 in the nesticle movie file.

Assuming $40 in hex represents 64 in decimal. also from my measurement it looks like a 3 tecmo seconds =1 real second. So you theory that it is taking 1 seconds worth of data could be correct although it always seems like grapples last longer than a second but its probably just my imagination.

If it is truly only a second then I think the range is ~ 5-10 presses for humans with but this was just quick inspection of a couple files and assuming I didn't make any mistakes in the process.

Well here is what I learned.

Confirmed that for each real second there is 64 bytes of data for player 1 and 64 bytes of data for player 2 in the nesticle movie file.

Assuming $40 in hex represents 64 in decimal. also from my measurement it looks like a 3 tecmo seconds =1 real second. So you theory that it is taking 1 seconds worth of data could be correct although it always seems like grapples last longer than a second but its probably just my imagination.

If it is truly only a second then I think the range is ~ 5-10 presses for humans with but this was just quick inspection of a couple files and assuming I didn't make any mistakes in the process.

I was able to be more specific with the time data this morning. Using the tecmo play clock = x14 (20) is a tecmo second so x40 is 3.2 tecmo seconds or 1 real second.

The grapple animation does last longer than this as the losing player isn't thrown exactly when the time ends giving the appearance of more time.

• 1 month later...

So is anyone still working on this? Does anyone have this in a rom? This idea is what I've always wanted out of TSB and SNES TSB (if possible to add there). I'd like to use a rom with this grappling code for the next season of the Nestopia league.

• 1 month later...

I attached the various roms from what inputs I saw for those that want to try this or make there own formula adjustments.

The roms formulas will be like the following:

JSTOUT (HP + PRESS + RANDOM): HP = 0-7, CPU PRESS = 0-15, RANDOM = 0-3

BUCK (HP + PRESS): HP = 0-7, CPU PRESS = 0-15

JSTOUT_CPU (HP + PRESS + RANDOM): HP = 0-15, CPU PRESS = 5-12, RANDOM 0-3

BRUDDOG (HP + PRESS/2 + RANDOM): HP = 0-30, CPU PRESS = 5-12, RANDOM 0-31

Grapple_Roms.zip

I played a few games on Bucks rom last nite with bgboud.

The HP's worked fine in Man to Man. What I dont get, is why as a defender I would get thrown at times.

Bgboud would call run1, sweep up top.

I would pick Db1, when I go to grapple wit Wr1, he would throw me half the time.

The WR HP is at 13. MY Db's HP was 44 or 50.

I thought these roms only effected Grapples? Or does it effect blocking also?

The HP's worked fine in Man to Man. What I dont get, is why as a defender I would get thrown at times.

I would pick Db1, when I go to grapple wit Wr1, he would throw me half the time.

Well, probably the CPU WR had a HP Boost going on, so you need to be tapping the CPU like you were grappling a Man.

Well, probably the CPU WR had a HP Boost going on, so you need to be tapping the CPU like you were grappling a Man.

HP boost?

Only time I'd win was when I revved up. I dont think it should be like that just to shake off a 13hp Wr.

HP boost?

Only time I'd win was when I revved up. I dont think it should be like that just to shake off a 13hp Wr.

What they are talking about is in the original play design (certain plays give boosts to players whether RS, RP, MS, or HP) and in that particular play the WR at the top is given a HP Boost of x10 making him not a 13 HP player but a 38 HP player.

No comments on the SNES question, eh? Stoutlicious?

It could be done assuming the proper spots could be found (the closer to the NES version the easier). I'll look sometime when I have time for a similar code section. I just haven't really touched the SNES version enough to say one way or the other.

HP boost?

What they are talking about is in the original play design (certain plays give boosts to players whether RS, RP, MS, or HP) and in that particular play the WR at the top is given a HP Boost of x10 making him not a 13 HP player but a 38 HP player.

\

Thats pretty interesting. I do like the movement of this, I just wonder who will be the guinea pig of a league to test this out, I would say CTL, but i highly doubt the guys would like this so much. I do like the realism factor and adding this helps eleviate some of the horrible AI decision making by the computer drones.

It could be done assuming the proper spots could be found (the closer to the NES version the easier). I'll look sometime when I have time for a similar code section. I just haven't really touched the SNES version enough to say one way or the other.

Thanks man. It's just the standard question that has to be asked whenever anything cool like this comes about for the NES. I realize you don't work much with the SNES, but I always ask in case it's something like the juice mode hack or something where a clear spot can be found where it can port over easily.

I agree a lot of guys won't like this because 90% of their game is out-tapping people, but it'd be interesting to see how those games change once that's thrown out...

HP boost?

So that WR1 would always have that boost all game?

What are other boosts, position wise? Or is it random

Lil confused on this

HP boost?

\

Thats pretty interesting. I do like the movement of this, I just wonder who will be the guinea pig of a league to test this out, I would say CTL, but i highly doubt the guys would like this so much. I do like the realism factor and adding this helps eleviate some of the horrible AI decision making by the computer drones.

CTL using grapplin hack n nestopia

Count me in, larry mac

Old-time vet here; frequent reader, infrequent poster. I have been messing around with these roms frequently over the past few days... personally I'm liking Bruddog's rom the best, due to the increased randomness and emphasis on HP. I think it would be the most fun to use in a league scenario.

I have another comment, but I think I'm going to start a new thread for this instead of derailing this one. Great job jstout.

• 2 weeks later...