NES PC and PA

jstout

Here is how to use the Pass Control and Pass Accuracy as used in the TSB III (SNES).

The NES reads the PC when the ball is to be thrown (how accurate the ball is thrown) and then again elsewhere when the ball reaches a player (for a miss, drop, catch, deflection, or interception).

Pass Control = Ability to throw on target

Pass Accuracy = Ability to complete a pass

At x29E54:
20 F7 9F JSR $9FF7 ; Go to new PA read

At x2A007:
A0 88 LDY #$88 ; Read PA
4C DD 9F JMP $9FDD ; Go to Normal Code

Now PA will actually mean something

how will this change CCs and JJs?

does PA effect INTs at all?

now it's time to do some serious ratings testing...any recommended settings/combinations?

After my changes PA will be the only number used to check for QB ability to complete a pass. So Interceptions/CCs will be based upon the QB's PA, Receivers' REC, and Defenders' INT.

The PC will be the number used for how accurate the throws are. So JJs will be determined mostly by timing and this number (as in overthrows).

To check combos I suppose you could use TSB 3 as a reference or just play around a while. The easiest changes to view would be someone like John Elway. His PC is 31 and PA 69 and originally had a hard time completing passes and was inaccurate (obviously accuracy of the pass is very subtle as even Grogan doesn't spray everything). Now he should have the same inaccuracy but complete a lot more covered passes.

Some additional info if anyone wants to goof around with values. Each Accuracy is 4 hex numbers each is pulled and compared to a different random number depending on the situation.

# Pass Control Skills (6 is the top and 100 is the bottom)

SET(0x2be14,0xf7348080)

SET(0x2be18,0xee328080)

SET(0x2be1c,0xe5308078)

SET(0x2be20,0xdc2e8078)

SET(0x2be24,0xd32c7870)

SET(0x2be28,0xca2a7870)

SET(0x2be2c,0xc1287868)

SET(0x2be30,0xb8267868)

SET(0x2be34,0xaf247060)

SET(0x2be38,0xa6227060)

SET(0x2be3c,0x9d207058)

SET(0x2be40,0x941e7058)

SET(0x2be44,0x8b1c7050)

SET(0x2be48,0x821a7050)

SET(0x2be4c,0x79187048)

SET(0x2be50,0x70166848)

So, using your new PA code, how would the ratings PC/PA need to be set up in order to make the QB throw exactly as he did before (only using PC - ie stock TSB)?

PA = PC?

I'm asking because I want to start with some setups (PS/PC) I'm used to - then tweak PA and see how things change.

So, using your new PA code, how would the ratings PC/PA need to be set up in order to make the QB throw exactly as he did before (only using PC - ie stock TSB)?

PA = PC?

Yes, New_PA = Old_PC would be exactly like the original. So PC and PA would be the same skill.

I and others would probably like to hear the results.

It's really a subtle difference as far as how many overthrows you see. I wouldn't even know quite how to value it. It would be a rating more valueable than avoid pass block but less valuable then the current PC, PS and QB MS

Wow, this is fantastic news. I am sure that high PA players will now be viewed with more value once you have finished. Some online current roster leagues might now factor this into how they create players.

It's really a subtle difference as far as how many overthrows you see. I wouldn't even know quite how to value it. It would be a rating more valueable than avoid pass block but less valuable then the current PC, PS and QB MS

Wow, this is fantastic news. I am sure that high PA players will now be viewed with more value once you have finished. Some online current roster leagues might now factor this into how they create players.

Well, now that PA dictates "Covered Catches" , how would it not be important?

I'm going to experiment to make a good JJ & good CC QB.

Ya but PA is now just what PC was before more or less! The fact that PC now controls overthrow percentage

The way to make a good JJ and CC QB is the same as before.

Under the original scheme

Honestly the best JJ qb has low-medium PS with high PC

The best CC qb has high PS and high PC. (Increasing PS across the board is one way to cut down on jjs)

Under the new scheme

a low-medium PS with high PA is the best JJ QB

a high PS with high PA will be the best CC Qb

The PC will now just control how often the throw is errant...... as in catachable by no one. It's hard to notice much difference unless you are playing with the extreme ends of the spectrum of thsi rating.

• 4 months later...

How does this (PA as INT&Completion control) change with season 'juice' values - With this code, Does the 'PC juice value' now boost the 'PA value' (instead of PC) when playing the CPU in later weeks?

• 1 year later...

So I finally mostly figured out how the number work. Refer yourself to the byte strings listed below by jstout.

ex 06 pc @2be14 f7 34 80 80

The first byte is the chance the pass is on target. It gets compared to a random byte from 00-FF. If its less than the random byte its on target otherwise there is a chance for an underthrow/overthrow

This means

06PC= 4% chance of no underthrow/overthrow

100PC= 56% chance of being no underthrow/overthrow

Underthrow= ball goes out of bounds, stopped wr has to move to get the ball, Wr stops mid route.

Overthrow= ball potentially sails way over WR head, just enough that he can jump an catch it or dive and catch it

The second byte determines if the pass will be an underthrow or overthrow if its not ON target. If the byte is greater than the random number it will be under thrown

A 06PC will have a 20% chance of underthrowing it if the ball is off target...or a total chance of 19.6% of throwing an underthrow on any pass

A 100PC qb will have a 9% chance of underthrowing it if the ball is off target...or a total chance of 4% of throwing an underthrow on any pass.

A 06PC will have a 76.9% chance of throwing an overthrow on any pass

A 100PC qb will have a 40% chance of throwing an overthrow on any pass.

The 3rd byte has something to do with the underthrows. I'm not quite sure what it does. Perhaps the smaller the number the more catchable the underthrows tend to be.There was too much code to sort through for me to try and figure it out.

The 4th byte has to do with overthrows. And this is kind of interesting. The bytes only range from 68-80. However if you set this byte to 0. The overthrows are never overthrows. They act like normal on target passes. So by lowering this byte you could drastically reduce the number of long jj bombs or at least moreso for shitty qbs. Or you could increase the chance for underthrows. Timed jj's would still work as normal.

It's funny because after looking at this the 50-56 pc qb is probably the best for jjs since they run little risk of getting jj inted except by carrier/haddix and they will get more lob balls than a higer pc qb.

Some additional info if anyone wants to goof around with values. Each Accuracy is 4 hex numbers each is pulled and compared to a different random number depending on the situation.

# Pass Control Skills (6 is the top and 100 is the bottom)

SET(0x2be14,0xf7348080)

SET(0x2be18,0xee328080)

SET(0x2be1c,0xe5308078)

SET(0x2be20,0xdc2e8078)

SET(0x2be24,0xd32c7870)

SET(0x2be28,0xca2a7870)

SET(0x2be2c,0xc1287868)

SET(0x2be30,0xb8267868)

SET(0x2be34,0xaf247060)

SET(0x2be38,0xa6227060)

SET(0x2be3c,0x9d207058)

SET(0x2be40,0x941e7058)

SET(0x2be44,0x8b1c7050)

SET(0x2be48,0x821a7050)

SET(0x2be4c,0x79187048)

SET(0x2be50,0x70166848)

bruddog, thanks for breaking down the PC controls - that is nice. I plan on tweaking PC for shit qbs so they can't throw bomb JJs :) .

question: can all the attributes be broken down like this? the physics of TSB can really be altered if you dig this deep.

Not really. Unless you hack the rom and make passing speed too fast.

So passing speed has nothing to do with overthrows/underthrows?

Well, I guess Marino just had too high PC and Brister and Tolliver too low PC. Just made it seem like high PS qbs couldn't throw consistent jjs. I could swear the arc is lower and easier to block though....