[xls] TSB Fantasy Draft - Using TSB Tool Helper Spreadsheet

BRINKY274

example: randall Cunningham: =(0.05*I4+0.01*J4+K4*4+L4*0.01+M4*2.1+N4*4.9+P4/2.5)/5.28-38

in tecmo speak this is: 5% of RS + 10% of RP + 400% of MS + 1% of HP + 210% of PS + 490% of PC + Avoid pass block / 2.5

then take that whole thing and divide it by 5.28 and subtract 38

Wow, that's insane. Thanks for the heads up. You lost me at 0.05* It looks like a little too much thought went into it! :D

I'm not understanding the player rankings portion of the spreadsheet. Where Randall Cunningham is a 99, Moon is a 79, Kelly is a 76, Montana 74... how did you come up with these scores? Elway is the 17th QB? And 21 QB2s are better than ATL QB1 Chris Miller? Mel Gray DET RB4 is ahead of Marcus Allen RB2, Roger Craig RB1, and Herschell Walker RB1.

I may have missed your explanations earlier in the thread so I will continue reading. Thanks!

I haven't used this, but these ratings seem good. Elway has shit for PC, so he is rated low. A lot of backup QBs ARE better than Chris Miller. Mel Gray is better than all those guys in the game.

What's your issue?

I haven't used this, but these ratings seem good. Elway has shit for PC, so he is rated low. A lot of backup QBs ARE better than Chris Miller. Mel Gray is better than all those guys in the game. What's your issue?

You're going by the way TSB is in it's original format. I'm just saying that these attributes are off. Elway's PC should be higher. He is far better than some/most of those QBs ahead of him. I can't really defend Chris Miller but don't think he's that far down the list and he was better than some ahead of him. Mel Gray being better than some of those guys is ridiculous. My issue, I guess, is that I never realized how "off" TSB was in regards to the ratings of some of the players. I'm new to this nit picking and editing of player ratings. To also have one category be so heavily weighed over the others will definitely cause discrepancies and debates.

I haven't used this, but these ratings seem good. Elway has shit for PC, so he is rated low. A lot of backup QBs ARE better than Chris Miller. Mel Gray is better than all those guys in the game. What's your issue?

You're going by the way TSB is in it's original format. I'm just saying that these attributes are off. Elway's PC should be higher. He is far better than some/most of those QBs ahead of him. I can't really defend Chris Miller but don't think he's that far down the list and he was better than some ahead of him. Mel Gray being better than some of those guys is ridiculous. My issue, I guess, is that I never realized how "off" TSB was in regards to the ratings of some of the players. I'm new to this nit picking and editing of player ratings. To also have one category be so heavily weighed over the others will definitely cause discrepancies and debates.

Well, it used to, but it's pretty well known what is important to have in the game and what isn't. Some people like the high PS QBs, but it's universally known that high PC is much more important to have.

A 25ms backup would also be better than a lot of average 13ms starters because it's so easy to scramble in TSB.

Well, it used to, but it's pretty well known what is important to have in the game and what isn't. Some people like the high PS QBs, but it's universally known that high PC is much more important to have. A 25ms backup would also be better than a lot of average 13ms starters because it's so easy to scramble in TSB.

Maybe this is true for you vets but not for the rookies like myself that are just starting. No sarcasm here at all. My notebook of things I should know is getting bigger by the day! So, if QBs are PC, and RBs are MS (I'm guessing), then what are the other key attributes for each position? I can probably noodle this but I'm asking you if you know what most vets think. I really appreciate any knowledge you can share.

Well, it used to, but it's pretty well known what is important to have in the game and what isn't. Some people like the high PS QBs, but it's universally known that high PC is much more important to have. A 25ms backup would also be better than a lot of average 13ms starters because it's so easy to scramble in TSB.

Maybe this is true for you vets but not for the rookies like myself that are just starting. No sarcasm here at all. My notebook of things I should know is getting bigger by the day! So, if QBs are PC, and RBs are MS (I'm guessing), then what are the other key attributes for each position? I can probably noodle this but I'm asking you if you know what most vets think. I really appreciate any knowledge you can share.

WRs and TEs is obviously REC, but MS helps them get separation on timed throws. That is, with a fast WR if you throw it as he's running past a defender, he might get to the ball before the defender can catch up. Of course, that doesn't help if he drops it all the time :D

For the DL you generally need 69HP to be able to bust through the line sometimes. A DL with 3 notches of HP more than an OL will break through a block. So a 69HP DL will bust through any OL with 50HP or less.

Speed on defense is mainly determined by RS and RP, with MS being important on long passes or to catch a RB that has passed you. You can readily observe how important RS and RP are by looking at Lonnie Young (69rs) and Bob Nelson (69rp). RP seems to be the more important attribute, though. Other than those two anomalies, the fastest defensive players have 44rs/56rp, then 38/50, 38/44, and 31/44. Less than that starts to get too slow to use. RS and RP almost always go together like that. MS is a little more variable, but generally high MS players also have high RS and RP.

INT, of course, is also very important.

RS,RP,MS,HP,BC,RE

38,69,75,31,81,19 = Bo Jackson

63,75,50,94,50,19 = Christian Okoye

It's weird to compare these numbers. It seems like Okoye would be so much better and that's obviously not the case. 25 MS points is huge I guess.

RS,RP,MS,HP,BC,RE

38,69,75,31,81,19 = Bo Jackson

63,75,50,94,50,19 = Christian Okoye

It's weird to compare these numbers. It seems like Okoye would be so much better and that's obviously not the case. 25 MS points is huge I guess.

69 RP gives such acceleration that you can't tell much difference between the two. The HP is good against a bad team like the Colts, but pretty useless if the opponent has nobody under 50 hp on their team, because you won't popcorn anyone and (unless the rom is HP hacked) HP has no bearing on breaking human tackles whatsoever. Speed kills with rbs, most would even take a 56 ms 31 hp over 50 ms 94 hp

All things being equal speed probably helps a little bit more than REC which is why I hate the way tecmo rated RB's. It makes them better WR's than most of the WR's in the game.

The more someone can load up on picking pass the less valuable a fast low REC WR is. Ideally they work best with a fast PS qb and fast RB.

There are guys on here that would take a 63MS 19REC WR over a 44MS 81REC any day. I was skeptical, but I've seen leagues where very fast, low REC guys get lots of yards...seems that it helps get them open more often and it also helps with YAC.

• 6 months later...
I’ve added the ability to do a “Fantasy Draft” of TSB Roms by modifying malferds TSB Tool Helper Spreadsheet.xls. Attached are the Read Me, an Original ROM, and the Fantasy Draft Excel Spreadsheet. Its simple to use once you've done it a few times, so I hope some of you give it a try. I'm planning on improving it, making import/export easier, so any feedback is much appreciated.

Has this awesome tool ever been updated to the 32 team rom? Maybe Knobbe2009 version because that would be spectacular. My buddy and I decided to do this Draft, completely random, and then we pulled teams out of a hat to see who we'd control. It's really fun.

• 4 months later...
I’ve added the ability to do a “Fantasy Draft” of TSB Roms by modifying malferds TSB Tool Helper Spreadsheet.xls. Attached are the Read Me, an Original ROM, and the Fantasy Draft Excel Spreadsheet. Its simple to use once you've done it a few times, so I hope some of you give it a try. I'm planning on improving it, making import/export easier, so any feedback is much appreciated.

Has this awesome tool ever been updated to the 32 team rom? Maybe Knobbe2009 version because that would be spectacular. My buddy and I decided to do this Draft, completely random, and then we pulled teams out of a hat to see who we'd control. It's really fun.

So, I'm bumping this one again. I had an idea, if it doesn't work with the 32 team roms why can't we just cut and paste the new players, attributes, and such into the spreadsheet. If the program only works with the 28 team rom then we'd nix the bottom rated players from the 32 team rom. So, we'd take the Top56 QBs and trim the other bottom 8, Top112 RBs and trip the other bottom 16, and so on. I am dying to do a fantasy draft with the modern players with my group of friends. I could just do a fantasy draft on some site and then cut and paste everyone in Tool but that would be F'n tedious. One of you Excel masters should be able to pull this off. :wink:

• 5 months later...

This is the coolest thing I've seen on knobbe yet! Thank you Brinky, and all contributors.

I'm going to mess with this more tonight, but is there a simple way to change the draft logic of the cpu teams? I simulated a draft and Montana went at the beginning of the 2nd round :D

I not sure I know where to look for that, or how the player values are derived...

• 2 weeks later...

Brinky, I like your latest update. It looks like you have adjusted the overall rankings as well as tweaking the draft logic, and it makes a big difference overall.

I just went through a draft and noticed two things:

1. The WR3 column pulls in the RB data on the drop down selection box when drafting.

2. I got to round 18 pick 28 (my pick) when I got an error and the program stopped. I went through the draft a second time and got the same error in round 16 pick 28. It said "Run-time error '381': Could not get the List property. Invalid property array index." I think both times it happened after selecting a guard, apparently a LG from the code. Here is the highlighted code from the debugger (this is from the 2nd error, though I'm guessing it was the same error both times)...

hold_ROW = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(Me.cmb_LG.List(Me.cmb_LG.ListIndex, 0), Sheet34.Range("BH1:BH200"), False)

Is it possible to "set" the user pick(s) at a certain position? I've looked through the code but I can't tell where/how to mess with that directly. Perhaps it could just be a pre-draft option?

My thoughts on the draft logic:

56 and 50 MS RB's tend to linger too long (I got Marcus Allen in round 9 for example). I think given the limited number of decent backs that teams should value this position more highly.

Some of the best WR's can be grabbed in round 6 or later. They should probably be nabbed early by the CPU teams.

I think DB's and QB's are drafted very realistically :roll:

OLB's go much to quickly in my opinion. I do agree with how they are valued higher than ILB's though.

DL are probably overvalued from top to bottom. I understand the studs going in the first round, but after that seeing guys like Pierce Holt go ahead of a 63 MS RB is disheartening. It'd also be nice to see some teams completely write off some of those positions in favor of talent elsewhere. Currently they will place higher value on the 10th worst DL than a decent RB/WR.

Overall Brinky, I'd like to reiterate how awesome this is! And let me know if there is an easyish way to mess with the draft logic (code) one's self. I can't code but I wonder if I could find what you've already done and mess with it.

Great insight. I appreciate you taking the time to understand how it works, and wanting to get it fixed. Let me fix a few fo these problems and see if I can make the draft logic easier to edit for people. Part of the fun of a Fantasy Draft, is that the Computer isn't so predictable, but at the same time not dumb. I like not knowing that if I don't take this Running back, he might or might not be there next round. Overall, the best players at key positions should go first.

Again, thanks for caring enough to write a in depth analysis of what works and what doesn't.

Brinky

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone reworked Malfreds TSB Tool Helper that rates players based on crazy long formulas? I know alot of people would like to edit the draft logic to the Fantasy Draft Program I wrote, but I'd like to first improve on the ratings system of each of the players, so I know for sure what players are better than others, rank them and make the draft logic understandable and editable for you guys.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I am having an error message when I try to dump the contents of the fantasy draft into the csv file. It says "Run-time error '13': type mismatch."

This is the line of code that comes up in the debugger when I check that.

If rCell.Column < 16 And Len(rCell.Value) > 0 Then 'only export up to column P

If I simulate the entire draft or only draft players 1-10 or so and then simulate the rest the dump seems to work fine. I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what I am doing wrong that is messing up the dump. Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 years later...

I am having an error message when I try to dump the contents of the fantasy draft into the csv file. It says "Run-time error '13': type mismatch."

This is the line of code that comes up in the debugger when I check that.

If rCell.Column < 16 And Len(rCell.Value) > 0 Then 'only export up to column P

If I simulate the entire draft or only draft players 1-10 or so and then simulate the rest the dump seems to work fine. I was wondering if anyone can help me understand what I am doing wrong that is messing up the dump. Any help would be appreciated.

Having the same issue on export. This would be so dope, it's exactly what I'm looking for. Is Brinky still around? Anyone know of any alternatives for this?

Having the same issue on export. This would be so dope, it's exactly what I'm looking for. Is Brinky still around? Anyone know of any alternatives for this?

Tested it out....I think it's how newer windows7/8 etc handles writing directly to the c:\

Thus, you need to edit the path of the Export to:

A few strategies if you don't know how to approach this

1. If you have a USB drive, point it to that (e:\TSB-28-TEAM-ROM.csv)

2. Find the path to your "Documents" folder which is typically c:\user\{login name}\documents\TSB-28-TEAM-ROM.csv

3. Create a folder on your C:. If you made one called Export, the path would be c:\export\TSB-28-TEAM-ROM.csv

Last but not least, the created draft data can be found on the Tool Output rom tab