2 point coversion?

tecmovader

Thanks to all who work on these roms! Its alot of work and I for one really appreciate how you guys keep this great game fresh. Madden is a great game, but nowhere near as fun as Tecmo. Sure the game is 15 years old, but it is STILL the funest football game out there. And thats what makes it great!

• 2 weeks later...

How/why would you implement 4 players?

On offense the non quarterback would either have to be an O-Lineman or basically be a computer player while running the routes. Unless you were able to reprogram it so that the quarterback was able to lead the 2nd player wherever he runs.

On defense though it would be pretty cool.

how - indexed addressing, and tricking the game into thinking it's updating player 1 and 2, when it's actually updating 3 and 4. i already have a routine to get all 4 player's input:

Joypad equ $???? ; somewhere in ram with room for 4 sequential bytes

SubControllerStrobe:
ldx #00

strobe:
ldy #01 ; strobe joypad
sty $4016, X
dey
sty $4016, X
sty Joypad, X ; zero out variables
sty Joypad + 1, X

morebuttons: ; read all buttons
lda $4016, X
and #01
ror
rol Joypad, X
rol Joypad + 1, X
iny
cpy #16
bne morebuttons

inx
cpx #2
bne strobe

rts

the 2nd offensive player would be given "free roam" status like defensive players, thereby allowing him to run a custom route, block, or whatever. any cpu AI would be skipped. again, this is all speculation, i haven't looked into how the game handles human controlled players. it may not lend itself to being easily manipulated in this way.

for the 2pt conversion, i started thinking that the ball should probably be placed on the 5, or maybe even further back, otherwise it would be too easy and people would just choose to go for it everytime.

for the 2pt conversion, i started thinking that the ball should probably be placed on the 5, or maybe even further back, otherwise it would be too easy and people would just choose to go for it everytime.

another idea would be to leave it on the 2, but boost the HP of the defense if you can, like on punts.

I apologize if I sounded rude before, I didn't think that it was even possible to do the free roam, but that would possibly be one of the coolest hacks ever.

not to be mean but let's not overwhelm him with requests :roll: he's doing a fabulous job with what he's is already working on and we should all be gratefull for that. let's just be happy with whatever he gives us and maybe one day he will if he wants

agreed

another idea would be to leave it on the 2, but boost the HP of the defense if you can, like on punts.

i like your idea better :roll:

I didn't think that it was even possible to do the free roam

i am in no way an expert on this, but here's my understanding of the AI. all defensive players have a certain AI script "attached" to them depending on what plays are called. the AI is executed for cpu players and obviously skipped for player 1 and 2, so why not 3 and 4 as well?

the 2nd offensive player may just have to be set to a static position rather then being dynamic like defense, as you were never intended to be able to change players on offense. well, except for ball posession changes of course.

i can only be sure once i start doing it though...

• 3 years later...

how - indexed addressing, and tricking the game into thinking it's updating player 1 and 2, when it's actually updating 3 and 4. i already have a routine to get all 4 player's input:

Joypad equ $???? ; somewhere in ram with room for 4 sequential bytes

SubControllerStrobe:
ldx #00

strobe:
ldy #01 ; strobe joypad
sty $4016, X
dey
sty $4016, X
sty Joypad, X ; zero out variables
sty Joypad + 1, X

morebuttons: ; read all buttons
lda $4016, X
and #01
ror
rol Joypad, X
rol Joypad + 1, X
iny
cpy #16
bne morebuttons

inx
cpx #2
bne strobe

rts

the 2nd offensive player would be given "free roam" status like defensive players, thereby allowing him to run a custom route, block, or whatever. any cpu AI would be skipped. again, this is all speculation, i haven't looked into how the game handles human controlled players. it may not lend itself to being easily manipulated in this way.

This whole piece of information is INSANE. :thumbsup:

so, I'm lazy and never actually tried it, and will probably forget later, so I'm curious what you actually did with the 2-pt rom that you uploaded? Did you leave it on the 2 with a boosted D or move it back or some combo? 'Cause I was thinking another good thing might be to set the D to blitz on 6 out of 8 plays. So if the offense picks Run 1, then the D would blitz if any run were called or the first two pass plays were called. Something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...