Trades, Free agents

pokemonandrew

Deion is now proving himself to be a piece of trash.

He was injured in the last game of the regular season of my last season. He remained injured throughout the playoffs while I won the Super Bowl.

In the first game of the new season, he was injured again. He came back in game four, and was injured again.

Meanwhile, I don't think my defense has recorded an INT in four games. But, the Rams aren't exactly deep with secondary talent. Toby Wright is terrible!

• 8 months later...

I don't know if anyone still reads this page but I just wanted to get in on the action. I always thought that the trading on this game was more realistic than any of those new fangled .......dare I say it.......MADDEN or wannabe's that have flooded the market. Those games don't care who you trade. It allows anyone you want for mister loser every single time. It allows my littler brother to create unbeatable teams and lose interest in 5 minutes. Tecmo made me work for a good team and occasionally gave me a blockbuster lobsided trade as a bonus. AND I walked in snow, bare foot, up hill both ways to school. I sound like my grandpa. But seriously, you have to be on the honor system when you play those games alone. Tecmo, doesn't allow cheating, and there is no computer assistance (a la NBA JAM) which really sucks in most games. The exception is beating the 49ers by more than 14. Then they go into cheat mode, but since I grew up with it, I wouldn't have it any onther way. I just wanted to say the I have always loved haveing a season with my friends and seeing what trades went through and which didn't, followed by someone getting punched in the throat when you took one of their players, and an all out brawl when you took JOHN ELWAY OR STEVE ATWATER off their team. But it was always a mystery. You couldn't form aliances againt one person (a la risk, the game of world domination). Don't act like you don't know what I am talking about!

• 8 years later...

Deion Sanders is one of the best defensive players in the game. Period. If you can get him, you cut what you need to. Generally, there are some big time guys that start in FA with Deion that are better than players on many teams that cost less FA points.

I'm trying to find if anyone has found anything in the game study that can help determine what the chances are for some trades.

My league does a lot of trade testing preperation before our seasons occur and we've found a large number of trades that are automatic. Renaldo Turnbull for Clyde Simmons is one example.

But other than trial and error in testing, we don't know what factors weight into this. Does it help if the players are similar? Lorenzo Neal for Reggie Cobb is an auto-trade, but why?

We have rules/limitations based on a ranking system for the trades we're allowed to do, so trading Mike Buck for Dan Marino isn't legal...

Is there a way to look into the coding of the game to find out how this works?

• 4 weeks later...

You guys are trying way to hard you actually can cheat what you do is you create players if you want Steve Young create a QB and select Steve Young as the player to replace him with don't give the QB any attribute points do that with the entire create a player roster then play as the 49ers or so NFC West team control the entire league have all the create players dropped into Free agency then collect the players get Deon Sanders and then delete your created players and you have an all star team

I don't know if anyone still reads this page but I just wanted to get in on the action. I always thought that the trading on this game was more realistic than any of those new fangled .......dare I say it.......MADDEN or wannabe's that have flooded the market. Those games don't care who you trade. It allows anyone you want for mister loser every single time. It allows my littler brother to create unbeatable teams and lose interest in 5 minutes. Tecmo made me work for a good team and occasionally gave me a blockbuster lobsided trade as a bonus. AND I walked in snow, bare foot, up hill both ways to school. I sound like my grandpa. But seriously, you have to be on the honor system when you play those games alone. Tecmo, doesn't allow cheating, and there is no computer assistance (a la NBA JAM) which really sucks in most games. The exception is beating the 49ers by more than 14. Then they go into cheat mode, but since I grew up with it, I wouldn't have it any onther way. I just wanted to say the I have always loved haveing a season with my friends and seeing what trades went through and which didn't, followed by someone getting punched in the throat when you took one of their players, and an all out brawl when you took JOHN ELWAY OR STEVE ATWATER off their team. But it was always a mystery. You couldn't form aliances againt one person (a la risk, the game of world domination). Don't act like you don't know what I am talking about!

Yep, totally agree.  When you have each team represented by an actual person, trade season is the ABSOLUTE MOST FUN of any football game ever created.  We do set a rule of starters for starters and backups for backups.  But still, you get pretty damn upset when you lose Steve Young and they trade you Scott Mitchell.  As soon as your player is targeted, you go nuts and target the other guys team.  And the suspense to see which trades go through or not -- priceless.  There is always a big gasp as soon as the 49ers (last to trade) make their selection.  Then the gasp is followed by load groans or frantic cheers.  Trade season is one of the most entertaining aspects of the game.

• 11 months later...

This is one of my favorite game modes. I've found if you play on an emulator, you can try to cheese out a trade using the rewind function. All trades will apply after the rewind, and if your team is affected elsewhere you'll instantly see the new guy after the rewind. This gives you more than 3 weeks to try and work a deal out. This has both benefit me and hurt me (I play with the Saints, and cannot get Willie Roaf back no matter what).

Favorite players to trade for: James Hasty as a starting CB, Ronnie Lott as a starting S, Jeff Cross and Warren Sapp as starting DL, Rob Waldrop for 110 extremely cheap points in Free Agency (the guy sucks). I usually try to sign Ricky Sanders, Greg Townsend, Tim Harris, and W(ilbur) Marshall.

• 3 years later...
On 1/8/2013 at 4:26 PM, TecSpectre said:

That's clever. It's cheating, as you say, but clever none the less

its true i remember first doing that around 1996-97 but it also helps to keep a big value player on the team u want to make into an all star team so u can have the lesser valued created players that u made over the top valued players u want so u can add a free agent player like deion to your team. this would make it easier on your free agent value points. but i also enjoyed the genesis tsb 1,2 and 3 more as that one is easier to get trades with(not saying the snes version is bad because it too is a good game).

Edited by kefkaroth