Worst Team (revived)

Stadawim

Let's get to the nitty gritty. I know we asked it before, but it seems we have differences in opinions. Let's do the 'one voice, one vote' thing. Everyone put their idea of worst and see who comes out indeed the worst. BUT...put down two. One for worst against MAN, & one for worst against COM (if you feel the need).

I'll start, and i'm putting four for the 4 players' opinions involved in our past seasons:

MAN)Colts

M)Colts

M)Pats

M)Colts

And for the COM i myself won't bother, because THERE'S NO REASON. If they sucked vs MAN, they ain't gonna be better vs COM.

Tally:

Colts = 3

Patriots = 1

Bullshit guys...

You would have to be an idiot to not stop Cardinals and also make them fumble every time they hike the ball. Their playbook sucks. They are by far the easiest team to beat if you are talking MAN vs COM and they are COM or MAN vs MAN. They suck. The D is good, but that doesn't matter much when you can force them to fumble so easy and run it back with your D. Their D never hass to touch the field.

The Cardinal's playbook might make them the worst team in the game. The Fake reverse, the reverse, and the Flea Flicker can be stopped by nailing the pausing running back. The two motion plays where the running back goes up the middle and that fake can be killed by the nose tackle dive. The other two motion plays involve a Johnny Johnson run and a roll out. This leaves their second passing play which has three receivers. If you choose the Johnny Johnson motion run play to the bottom, the only play you can get burned on is the last passing play.

The Colts and Pats have decent play books that don't make things worse.

Factoring in playbooks the Cardinals are quite possibly the worst team. Using any plays, the Colts are your stinkers.

your decision shouldn't be influenced by a team's playbook....you are allowed to edit the playbook so if you don't like a team's plays then just change them.

My vote goes to New England...followed closely by Seattle.

playing as the cardinals they can be good because johnny johnson is a good rb and ricky proehl can catch even though he is way slow. the defense is ok with ken harvey and tim mcdonald. besides, I have long been a cardinals sympathizer for having good players on crappy teams for their entire history.

scott

Did any of you ever notice that changing your playbook makes the COM more attentive? They know your pays more, especially when you have a pass with no run of same formation/motion and vice versa. Same for a MAN since they will also be able to see that your plays are all different.

Even when you do pick plays of the same formaition/motion, the COM still seems to get an adrenaline rush on D and pick plays more often. When they don't pick plays they are always waiting for you on the run and always have you covered on the pass. The only way to beat this extra testosterone is to have a RB with fling power(HP) or a QB and WR with a good conneciton. The QB must be accurate and the WR must have hich receptions.

Go ahead, change your playbook and watch a mediocre D rip you a new ass. :lol:

I think that was put in Tecmo intentionally so you won't just pick the "best" plays and have no cons to the situation.

Okay. So, to summarize so far:

Colts = 6

Patriots = 3

Cardinals = 2

Kronic, i assumed you went with your 1st choice.

Rod, i assumed your 1st choice as well.

But yes, in all due accounts it should be perfectly fair to edit the playbooks to help the team out before you start. Tupa is the way to go with the Cards. They really were never that bad with us. I think they actually made the playoffs once @ 9-7. 8-8 another season. Point of fact, the Rams, Seahawks, Packers, Browns & Jets all had worse cumulative records than the Cards (obviously including IND & NE). It is also believed the Lions, Cowboys & Broncos may have had similar cumulative records.

I would have to go with the patriots as the worst team in MAN vs. COM, i have always found that the colts offense is pretty decent. Brooks and Hester are good receivers, true that Jeff George is not a very good quarterback, but when you toss Bentley in the mix this is not a bad offense. Now the defense is horrible, but the offense scores more than enough to get the job done.

MAN vs. MAN i would have to go with the colts as the worst though. It is pretty easy to D up against them, and the defense can't stop anyone for the life of them.

Ok there is one thing i have always wondered. How come the Rams have a well above average offensive team ability wise, but they just made the sim code that they totally suck? I mean come on henry ellard and willie anderson are 2 of the best receivers in the game. The only team that has better starting receivers is the 49ers. The rams are a team that i have found to be very successful in MAN vs. MAN combat. With Kevin Greene roaming the field on defense this is a tough team to beat.

I don't think you can even begin to think about playbooks: otherwise the Chargers would be one of the worst teams in the game and that is just not so. And the Colts would be mediocre instead of piss-poor. It skews the teams' strength way too much. Even the 49ers could be shut out easily in a MAN game with a shitty playbook.

OldSchoolKiller: "Fling power" is a term I will try to remember as much as possible (seriously). Especially when my woman talks about denying me sex. :? That is a term I have been looking for for years to talk about Okoye and OJ.

Is that anything like Bling Power?

OldSchoolKiller: "Fling power" is a term I will try to remember as much as possible (seriously). Especially when my woman talks about denying me sex. :? That is a term I have been looking for for years to talk about Okoye and OJ.

• 2 months later...

Okoye and Ottis gots the fling-fling, baby. So does Sam Graddy (!).

I think the Rams have that awful sim code because they can't stop the run, not even close, with their three decent (1 great at his position) players, they just aren't good enough especially in the ability of the rest of the team. The Rams, if you look at their positions, are just a small notch up from the Patriots' D. When I was going against Mike, Greene would make sometimes 9 plays a game and they would still get shoved around. You have to tailor the playbook to attack Greene and Bobby Humphery and Vince Newsome but if you do you are in pretty good shape because if they don't call your run you will get 4 yards, those are weak positions defensively against certain power runs (except for Humphery, very weak run stopping positions against power runs in general). Plus they are playing in what was then a decent division in real life defensively too, and those 49er games, GIA, MIN, DET, WAS, and the AFC West is too much in this game, so it may also have been the result of some tweaking relative to their schedule and how they thought it would turn out.

Some of you guys who think that teams with poor offenses are worse than teams with poor defenses:

In 28 games this season, when Mike has been playing his best game ever (he improves every season now), I have given up more than 14 points just 2 times: once with NE where I had no business staying with DEN's offense (I gave up less than 14 the next NE-DEN game), and using CLE, when Mike Johnson was in BAD and Minnefeld was in AVERAGE, where I gave up 21 points (could have been worse if my offense hadn't moved the ball like it did, and the clock screwed Mike at the end of both halves).

In the IND-PIT game, I scored at will on Mike despite him actually playing the run very well, and the Pittsburgh offense being dead last in the league in every single category, having been kept from making any points that didn't come from turnovers in at least 2 games this year. I literally have to avoid throwing short on 3rd down with PIT so that I can avoid a turnover in my territory where Mike might be able to score, and plus, I can't get any offense going unless I start in Mike's territory, so defense is my offense. The only reason I have been able to win 9 games this year so far (I can get to 10-6 at least) and have only 5 losses with this terrible offense that has been held to less than 100 yards in more than a few games and has been outgained almost every single game is because my defense has held long enough and made enough tackles to force fumbles and get INTs (not to mention the fact that the Tecmo Gods have smiled upon me many a time - see PIT-HOU, second meeting, 2 HOU fumbles).

Meanwhile, DEN's defense has not had an INT all year (the first time this has _ever_ happened against Mike, even when he went 3-13 his first year) and has only won 5 games despite going up against the likes of NE twice, SEA twice, PHX, and CLE. Even though the rest of their schedule is decently strong they are still going up against Wilson, Schroeder, and Tolliver in other games. He has two more games to get one - Week 16 vs. PHX, and Week 17 vs. SD.

Defense gets you to the playoffs. Offense gets you a seat on the couch (see LA Rams, DEN).

• 8 years later...