How TSB decides strength of CPU opponent?

CMigs

Denny,

If you'd like, you can use the newest TSBTool beta here to Juice up a ROM.

Just open a Rom with TSBTool and use some code like the following:

# The folling line will make the computer play like you are undefeated in week 17 every week.

JUICE(ALL,17)

# The following line will make the computer play you like you are Undefeated in week 17 (for week 1).

JUICE(1,17)

If anyone knows where that is let me know, as it would be awesome for CIA. It's a coaching league where we have both MAN and CPU controlled teams. Because the Week 1 CPU isn't as hard to beat as playing the same team in pre-season, all of our games played against CPU-controlled teams are played in pre-season.

Computer Juice: x1DF10 to x1DF65

Hex Boost Order: Defensive Speed, Offensive Speed, Interception, Pass Control, Reception

Each level is decided by the team's Win/Loss Record with each win raising the level of juice. A team with 0 wins and 0 losses is the first set of numbers (also the preseason juice). A team with 1 win and 0 losses plays against the same juice as a team with 6 wins and 5 losses (the second set of numbers). Any team with 16 or more wins will play vs the final set of computer juice.

From what I could tell, the first set of numbers also affects some things like return speed for the MAN players and the like.

I have the same question for this info as in the defense bytes thread: does anyone know where the computer juice bytes are in the TSB3 rom, and if not, what's the best tactic for going about conducting a search?

Thanks.

AM Rush

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, I was disappointed to find out that the same effect does not occur when you play as COA vs. CPU. I played quite a few games in both Preseason and Season to see if there was a difference in the difficulty. I won some and lost some in both modes, leaving me wondering if there is any difference at all b/w the two play modes. More importantly, the way the CPU played was identical to the way they played before I set the initial "juice" variables to all 0F's.

I was really hoping there was a global way of juicing the CPU while playing as COA, but no dice.

I also downloaded that FCEXU emulator and tried to use the trace logger to see if any data from the addresses listed above was accessed in any way during COA mode. I'm not sure if I had it working properly, but after searching the trace log file that was created I did not see that those CPU "juice" values were accessed in any way.

How much did you test this? Because I swear even in COA mode, the CPU boosts at the end of the season as well.

• 2 months later...
Do you find COA mode that easy that you want to juice the com? Since the play is totally random other than which play you run, I would think the com is hard enough if you use crappy teams. Especially if you keep the original playbook for your team.

COA mode I never ever used. I do agree that the COM is hard enough with use of crap teams. I just made it for the heck of it, I only played one full game so far on it. I think its cool but I'd rather stick with the origianal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just wanted to bring this back to life. :mrgreen: One question, is there a way to change the defensive reactions? Because even with the juice at 03, 04, 06, 09, 09, for all weeks, I noticed that in week1 just like before that the humnan receivers are all left wide open compared to like say around week 13 where they are covered most the time. Anyone know if there is somewhere in the hex to change how the CPU D reacts to run and pass? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
I just wanted to bring this back to life. 8O One question, is there a way to change the defensive reactions? Because even with the juice at 03, 04, 06, 09, 09, for all weeks, I noticed that in week1 just like before that the humnan receivers are all left wide open compared to like say around week 13 where they are covered most the time. Anyone know if there is somewhere in the hex to change how the CPU D reacts to run and pass? Thanks

Isn't this covered in the pass defense hacking thread?

• 5 years later...

Does the juice change for your playoff record if your at juice level 4 and win in the first round of the playoffs will you go to juice level 5 for the next round or is it all based on your regular season record?

• 2 years later...

A few  corrections to how this works.

The first byte in the 5 byte sequence not only boosts all defensive players top speed but ALSO BOOSTS their RS and RP as well. 

The second byte DOES NOT boost all offensive players top speed but boosts the com players RS, RP, AND MS once the computer take control command is executed. Or basically when the com becomes a ball carrier after the predefined actions have been run. 

See the code for the offensive player below. The offensive juice value for the current game  is saved in $6679 of SRAM

27c80dce13.png

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2015 at 1:36 AM, bruddog said:

The first byte in the 5 byte sequence not only boosts all defensive players top speed but ALSO BOOSTS their RS and RP as well. 

The second byte DOES NOT boost all offensive players top speed but boosts the com players RS, RP, AND MS once the computer take control command is executed. Or basically when the com becomes a ball carrier after the predefined actions have been run.

So the COM's HP never receives a boost at any point in the season (that is, a MAN's record-induced boost)?

Seems like more MAN tackler vs. COM ballcarrier grapples are won by the COM as the season goes on.

1 hour ago, bruddog said:

Probably because the drones get there faster to free them from the grapple. 

There's no doubt that's a factor in overall tackling success vs. the COM, but I'm referring to isolated tackler-only vs. ballcarrier-only encounters.

Also, it seems that when there's a simultaneous catch-and-grapple, that neither player's HP is factored into the equation -- winner is determined by luck and button presses.  Bruddog, can you confirm?