Trying to explain the concept of RS RP and MS to malferds...

bruddog

I was being lazy.... :)

But, but... you have to do more work to move your cursor ABOVE the quote!

I've been dicking around with RS. More RS makes you a shittier runner/juker because you can get away with really poor angles and tactics. NO THANKS.

what else is there to say?

RS matters. Go give a guy a 94 RS, do some "stop and go" cuts/bursts...you will feel it. they will be "faster" for a split second.

I also think I can feel Neal Anderson's extra notches of RS - sharper cutting.

but not enough so to take him over

Barry

but not enough so to take him over

Barry

man, I never said that RS is more important than MS.  I'm just saying that there is a "decent" difference between 38 and 50 RS, and the difference is more noticeable as you go up from there.

you know my "time machine" rom?  it has "standard" attribute tables etc (not high-speed), - but check out Barry '97 DET on that rom...freaking crazy.  stop and go...

but like dave said, it is kinda messed up to run with a high RS guy - the speed is deceiving.  I can use high RS and really enjoy it, but rewhawl can't run for shit with high RS guy, for example.

Edited by buck

I found where the players current speed resides in memory and verified via the fceux emulator that the players speed does not drop even if performing 90 degree cuts or circular cuts. 

The only way you drop off to RS is if the game isn't detecting your press on the directional pad for x period of time. 

I found where the players current speed resides in memory and verified via the fceux emulator that the players speed does not drop even if performing 90 degree cuts or circular cuts. 

The only way you drop off to RS is if the game isn't detecting your press on the directional pad for x period of time. 

So your argument is that, as long as a player doesn't let off the d-pad, RS and RP only matter at the very beginning of the run?

ps - when you read my posts in this thread, and others, on RS/RP/MS - and I say "stop and go":

that means:

STOP = let go of D-pad

GO = press D-pad in a direction

take some data on that, instead of contiguous running. because "that" is the Pppoint of me even talking about RS.

post-5602-0-76831000-1369451695_thumb.pn

Edited by buck

How is stating the actual facts an argument?

Take it up with Webster's Dictionary, not me.  One makes an "argument" whether he has every piece of evidence to support his side, or none.

Speaking of evidence, I think field testing counts as valid evidence and it's clear, at least in Drummer's rom, that RS is very important to a runner's overall ability.  I just tested again with Peterson (low RS but very high MS) and Foster (high RS, high MS), while GRINDING my thumb into the d-pad to ensure constant movement, and Foster simply doesn't lose as much speed coming out of a cut.  We're playing our third season with the same rom so it's not like this is some half-cocked theory.  It's been tested in the field, literally, many times. 

back when i actually ran the track to warm up at the gym i was 6rs 6rp 56ms

i was slow for the first seven laps but i could that last eighth of a mile like mel gray

Sounds a lot like Secretariat in the '73 Belmont.

Put down Drummer's ROM, which has absolutely been hacked to hell and back, and use the original. http://tecmobowl.org/files/file/1-tecmo-super-bowl/

I like that one best though.  If his rom does infuse RS into more situations, than that's another reason for me to like it over a non-hacked version.  To me, it makes the players more nuanced and interesting.

I didn't go back and test this, but I'm quite sure that speed 'resets' when coming out of a grapple.

he wasn't referring to grapples when he posted...it's a given that if you are stopped you will start at the RS all over again

what he's saying is the player has to completely stop moving, whether you stop hitting the d-pad or you get grappled

he wasn't referring to grapples when he posted...it's a given that if you are stopped you will start at the RS all over again

what he's saying is the player has to completely stop moving, whether you stop hitting the d-pad or you get grappled

so, basically bruddog reported that during a continuous run, you run at MS (after MS is reached)........WOW

Edited by buck

I just had a Boulevard 80-acre and a Nitro Milk...followed by two oatmeal cookies.

you can give a guy 6 rs and 6 rp but once you hit that MS, you wont lose it unless you get tied up or let up.  

I figured everyone who played the game more than once knew that????  wtf is the deal, here?

Edited by buck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm curious to see whether or not the "X period of time" is hackable.  That might make cutting a bit more of a challenge

• 1 month later...

it probably is...

Is it possible to create a hack that resets the ballcarrier's speed (back to RS) on ANY and all type of cuts (45 degree+)?  That would make RS much more relevant. 

I just finished an entire set of player ratings based on Madden's and each offensive player has a RP (acceleration) rating ranging from 31-63, so that helps make RS more relevant, but not enough in my opinion.