Mike Gordan

NFL 2018-2019 Season Discussion

Congratulations, Philadelphia Eagles for ending your 57-year championship drought and taking Super Bowl LII.

Might as well start this new thread for a new season, since Maynard seems to have vanished off the face of the earth at around the time of the Super Bowl.  Hope he's doing well.

So discuss the current NFL season here.

Two good dudes, to two good teams.  I'm calling it.  Case Keenum vs. Tyrod Taylor in the AFC Championship.

And the Browns get their revenge.

Move over John Elway, you prick.

3 minutes ago, PockyCandy said:

Kirk Cousins just got PAID

Going to the Vikings. I don't know how much of that team they're bringing back but if they bring a lot back they're going to be a preseason Super Bowl contender darling.

Is Teddy Bridgewater going to stay or go?

I'm a bit disappointed that Hali and Johnson couldn't finish their careers as Chiefs. I get they want to get younger, but at least keep some semblance of veteran leadership besides Berry and Houston around.

Titans picking up Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler....I like it. Titans GM Jon Robinson has been doing a great job building this team up so far. I like Butler's tenacity and Lewis' versatility, they should work well in the Titans system. Titans slowly becoming the Patriots of the South....now if only we can eventually get just one Lombardi....then I can die in peace.

22 hours ago, Knobbe said:

Going to the Vikings. I don't know how much of that team they're bringing back but if they bring a lot back they're going to be a preseason Super Bowl contender darling.

Is Teddy Bridgewater going to stay or go?

Bridgewater is becoming a Jet.  I'm gonna go out of my way to suspect that unless whatever rookie QB the Bills end up selecting in the draft is able to thrive, that they're gonna get royally screwed.

I'm all but guaranteeing that the Browns will select a QB in the draft, even with Tyrod Taylor in their roster.  Because that's all the Browns are good for; destroying the careers and reputations of countless QB's everywhere.  Then again, given that the Browns have well over a hundred million in salary cap space and they haven't spent a dime of it anywhere, it's become especially clear that the Browns refuse to actually invest in any actual talent and that Jimmy Haslam is simply hoarding the money for himself.  Not that most highly respectable players would even want to be a part of that organization.

Teams that still need a QB?

AFC East:  Tom Brady won't be playing forever.  The Jets should at the very least consider finding a replacement for Teddy Bridgewater in case he is incapable of staying healthy.  The Bills literally have nobody to lean on.  And while the Dolphins may have Jay Cutler and Ryan Tannehill on their roster, they can still do better.  As for who should select a QB in the first round of the draft, I'll go with the Bills since they're the one team that doesn't have one.

AFC North:  Similar to Brady, Big Ben isn't going to be in Pittsburgh for very long.  Joe Flacco is pretty mediocre, though a new QB isn't entirely necessary (if they're going to draft one, do so at the third or fourth rounds at the worst).  And the Browns?  Hah!  What they need is a new owner, GM, and coach, and to blow the entire organization up and rebuild in a few years.  The upshot is that the last two teams to go winless wound up making the playoffs three years later though, so perhaps it's not all bad for Cleveland.  Honestly, the only team that really shouldn't be fishing for a new QB is Cincinnati.  Ultimately, I think the Browns will select a QB first overall unless they're delusional enough to believe that Tyrod Taylor will be their lord and savior.

AFC South:  Shockingly enough, all four of these teams look good.  Though if the situation with Andrew Luck looks pretty awful, the Colts might consider looking for a new QB.  But they probably won't since this isn't exactly a Peyton Manning-type situation here.

AFC West:  The Chiefs already drafted a successor to Alex Smith, and the Raiders have Derek Carr as their long-term solution.  Like with Brady and Roethlisberger, the Chargers might consider drafting a successor to Philip Rivers.  Even with the acquisition of Case Keenum, the Broncos should still consider looking for a QB in the draft--even if they believe Keenum is enough to hold the fort for the season, at the very least, trade up so that you can acquire a QB as a secondary concern.

NFC East:  The Eagles have both Carson Wentz and Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles.  The Cowboys look set longterm with Dak Prescott.  So that pretty much leaves us with the Giants and Redskins.  Like with Big Ben, Brady, and Rivers before them, the Giants should consider looking for a successor to Eli Manning.  That just leaves us with the Washington Redskins, who are now royally screwed like no team has ever been screwed before.

NFC North:  The Vikings have scored a major jackpot in Kirk Cousins.  Don't fuck this opportunity up!  The Lions look pretty secure with Matthew Stafford.  And the Bears already have their guy in Trubisky, who wasn't terribly awful in his rookie year, albeit played cautiously.  And while Aaron Rodgers can still play at an elite level, some concern should be made for a possible successor to Rodgers, or at the very least, a feasible replacement in case he breaks his collarbone again.

NFC South:  The Falcons and Panthers already have their QB situations secured.  Drew Brees is one of the very best QB's that have ever played the game...and even then, more than anybody else other than the Patriots, the Saints probably need to consider looking for a successor to Breesus.  The Buccaneers?  Eh...they probably should consider finding another QB, but not in the first round in the draft.

NFC West:  Off the top of my head, there are only two NFC teams that absolutely need to pick up a QB in the draft, and five teams in the league altogether--the Jets, Bills, Broncos, Redskins, and Cardinals (I'm not counting the Browns since what they need is a coup d'état to usurp Haslam from power, and a roster that doesn't look like 53 giant pieces of shit with orange hues here and there).  The 49ers, Seahawks, and Rams already have their men in the foreseeable future (although the 49ers spending habits this early on in the rebuild is rather alarming).  The Seahawks are royally screwed in the foreseeable future as well, unless they manage to arrange an elite offensive line to protect Russell Wilson (because he clearly wasn't the issue with the Seahawks last season--on the contrary, he was pretty much the only reason the Seahawks were still in the playoff hunt heading into Week 17) and find a kicker who isn't haunted by a chipshot field goal whiff.

So teams that really should prioritize in finding a QB are the Jets, Bills, Broncos, Redskins, and Cardinals.  And maybe the Browns, though they pretty much need to fix everything, including the front office and owner.  Teams that ultimately should consider finding successors are the Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, Giants, Packers, and Saints.  The Dolphins, Ravens, Colts, and Bucs should consider other QB candidates, but it shouldn't be their top priority.  And the Bengals, Titans, Jaguars, Texans, Chiefs, Raiders, Cowboys, Eagles, Vikings, Lions, Bears, Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks, 49ers, and Rams all look good to go as far as the QB position goes.

So, yeah!  Half the league doesn't even need to worry about the QB position at this point in time.

14 hours ago, SBlueman said:

Titans picking up Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler....I like it. Titans GM Jon Robinson has been doing a great job building this team up so far. I like Butler's tenacity and Lewis' versatility, they should work well in the Titans system. Titans slowly becoming the Patriots of the South....now if only we can eventually get just one Lombardi....then I can die in peace.

Yes!  (You beat me to it.)

Lewis to TEN!

Butler to TEN!

... Titans lookin' to make Patriots their cunts!!...

YyyyyyyyyyyyES!!!

lol_td.0.gif

^ This was merely a prelude of things to dotdotdot COME??

17 hours ago, SBlueman said:

Nice job, Titans!  I have a feeling both will perform very well with TEN as they did in NE. Solid pick-ups. Really hate to see them go, but this will keep my “around the league” interest up. 

Plus it worked out pretty well for the last team who signed two former Pats, RB/DEF (Philly - Blount/Long).

Also Danny ‘Best Hands All Time’ Amendola going to MIA :-( 

Guy turned into a juiced Jerry Rice every playoffs. Hate to see him go as well, but I know he’ll crush it in that Miami sun (On and Off the field) :wink:

Here's to hoping the Saints don't fuck up everything from last season's success. Knowing their history in the Sean Payton era how they follow up winning seasons by going 7-9, I'm just praying that this isn't another year of Drew Brees' career wasted. 

R.I.P. Tom Benson. He leaves behind a rather complicated history in New Orleans. The SB win really changed everything with how he was viewed by pretty much everyone. The biggest issue is almost moving the team to San Antonio in the wake of Katrina. He did the right thing by keeping the team here, as well as rebuilding the Superdome after it's massive damage. I'm praying I never have to witness seeing the Saints move in my lifetime, cause it would be the one thing to make me give up the NFL all together. 

I remember back in the day, Benson used to be criticized and labeled a cheap owner. During the 90's, this was the reaction to how quickly the Dome Patrol defense was ripped apart in free agency and due to the lack of any splash signings on offense (This isn't even technically true, because they did sign Michael Haynes and Jim Everett, which everyone forgets about here cause they didn't work out). The major criticisms came with Sam Mills' departure and how badly that was handled by the organization. Mills said that he wanted to stay in New Orleans but felt unwanted when they didn't offer him a contract, and only did so after the Panthers offered him something. Today, Mills has a statue in Carolina and is seen as a hero to that organization (please for the love of everything, get this man in the Hall of Fame. My favorite Saints player back in my childhood, R.I.P.)

The SB win really changed everything for his legacy here. Probably the best thing he did after that was buying the NBA team and then trying to get the rights to the old Jazz name back. Though he failed with the name, he did at least make sure we'd have an NBA team here along with our Saints. R.I.P. 

Edited by _DEBERG

The mere idea of Tom Brady even THINKING about retirement makes me sad, friends

That Baker Mayfield could be rocking the helm in New England ... blasphemy!!

Less than a week away from the NFL draft you beautiful babies

Ricky Proehl's kid Austin is a potential draft pick. Anyone know of any other kids of Tecmo that could be drafted?

17 minutes ago, ~Tailback King~ said:

I don't think Saquon Barkley is anything special..........Infact, he reminds me of Trent Richardson.

Saquon Barkley

I meant Sony Michel.

(... Herschel Walker's love-child)